Sitar teacher in Hawaii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sitar teacher in Hawaii?

If anyone knows of a Sitar teacher in Hawaii, please let me know as soon as possible. If this is the wrong forum to ask such a question, kindly move it for me. Thanks!

Re: Sitar teacher in Hawaii?

What an interesting query! I was sure a quick Google would have turned up, if not teachers, at least a few local players. Instead, I only find a few mentions of performances by visiting sitar players (Pandit Manilal Nag and his daughter Mita Nag most frequently), some interesting connections between slack key and the sitar in Indian music, and one personal ad placed on a vegetarian dating site where the guy mentions being a sitar player.

Sounds like an untapped market to me, especially given the "slide guitar" similarities! Good luck in your search, and let us know if you find anyone!

Comment

You may want to consider contacting Milun (a South Asian group) or the Center for South Asian studies at UH. They may be able to give you more info...

http://www.hawaii.edu/csas/milun.html

You also may want to contact the Hindu LOTUS organization:

Lotus
      P.O. Box 61274
      Honolulu, HI 96839-1274
      T808-3956804/F-808-395-7695
      Contact Person: Mr. Dipankar Sengupta
      E-mail: lotushawaii@yahoo.com

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll be sure to contact those organizations as well. I'm hoping there will be some teacher of sitar in Hawaii. I'm not sure if I will return to Hawaii, but I've been learning sitar lately, and I'd feel much better if I knew I could continue learning sitar in Hawaii if I ever went back
        Last edited by Vanguard; November 23, 2006, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X