Faux sushi nixed from Japanese restaurants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faux sushi nixed from Japanese restaurants

Any eating establishment that wants to call itself "authentic Japanese" had better hide the California and tempura rolls and stop putting Kalbi or teriyaki chicken on the menu! The sushi police will be on their way soon, direct from Japan!

The Japanese government is considering offering an official "seal of approval" to those restaurants that only serve purely Japanese food in an effort to prevent the downward slide of authentic Japanese cooking.

"What people need to understand is that real Japanese food is a highly developed art. It involves all the senses; it should be beautifully presented, use genuine ingredients and be made by a trained chef," he continued. "What we are seeing now are restaurants that pretend to offer Japanese cooking but are really Korean, Chinese or Filipino. We must protect our food culture."

In recent years, few culinary traditions have witnessed the kind of global boom, and distortion, of Japanese food.

In the United States alone, the number of restaurants claiming to serve Japanese food soared to 9,000 in 2005, or double the number a decade ago, according to Japanese government statistics. The government projects that the number of Japanese restaurants worldwide will leap to 48,000 by 2009, more than double the current level.

Some have gone all-out to ensure authenticity. Masa in New York City imports its fish from Tokyo's Tsukiji Fish Market while Umu in London regularly flies in the soft water of Kyoto, Japan's old capital, to make its bonito fish broths. But they are largely exceptions in a world where the Japanese fear their food is being lost in translation.

In the United States, the proliferation of counterfeit Japanese foods now includes seaweed rolls stuffed with smoked salmon and cream cheese. In Canada, Vera's Burger Shack in Vancouver is offering tempura-battered onion rings. As the recent test in Paris showed, even such gastronomic bastions as France can be guilty of sushi sacrilege.
    This kind of reminds me of some other "branding" of food products, like the French wine apellations, or only sparkling wine made in Champagne can be called champagne.

So if I want to eat "authentic" Japanese food, I can't just rely on the fact that lots of Japanese frequent that restaurant with the Japanese name anymore? I have to go look for that seal of approval? I think lots of "Japanese" restaurants in Hawai'i will have to reinvent themselves as "Pan Asian" restaurants.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Faux sushi nixed from Japanese restaurants

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
    This kind of reminds me of some other "branding" of food products, like the French wine apellations, or only sparkling wine made in Champagne can be called champagne.
    Call me cultured, but I learned this from an SNL skit with Christoper Walken called "The Continental"
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
      Call me cultured, but I learned this from an SNL skit with Christoper Walken called "The Continental"
      I learned it from Wayne's World.
      "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Comment

So what happens to places that don't pass their seal of approval? Are they forced to shut down?

The article has some good counter points. Should Italy come in and regulate Japan on their seafood/mayo pizzas? Those guys just need to chill out. That Japanese agricultural minister was just probably personally insulted that Korean Kalbi was served under the same roof as Japanese sushi.

Comment

I don't see any threats of shutting anyone down or adverse action at all. It's just an endorsement program. Very much like, say, a seal that authenticates genuine Kona coffee.

Well, not exactly like, because I'm sure a coffee that's not from Kona could get busted for saying that it is under false advertising laws.

But hey, if you want to have a "Japanese" restaurant with California rolls, rather than a genuine, "approved" Japanese restaurant, good luck to you. You just won't get the official seal. I'm sure plenty of California roll fans won't mind at all.

Comment

I heard there is a sushi restaurant in Los Angeles that is so authentic the owner will throw people out who ask for California roll, but I don't know if it's just an urban legend.
            "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Comment

Actually, we've got one of those "sushi nazis" up here too. He owns this little spot up near the ferry terminal in Edmonds. People line up just to be insulted by him and his perfectly and beautifully presented Japanese meals.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by modpirate View Post
                I heard there is a sushi restaurant in Los Angeles that is so authentic the owner will throw people out who ask for California roll, but I don't know if it's just an urban legend.
                This is the story frequently told about Sushi Sasabune on S. King Street, and its owner brought it here from San Jose, so they may be the same or the original "sushi nazi." I'm told using a cellphone will similarly land you on the sidewalk. But, when the sushi's good (and it's good!), you can do what you want.

Comment

Working...
                X