Rebuilding Mo'okini Heiau?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding Mo'okini Heiau?

The 1,500 year old Mo'okini heiau on the Big Island suffered extensive damage during the Oct. 15 earthquake. Experts estimate that it would cost around $200,000 to find qualified kanaka maoli rock wall builders to restore the heiau.

But the current guardian of the heiau, kahu Leimomi Mookini Lum, has stated that she does not want the dislodged rocks to be disturbed:

"It has been here 1,500 years," she said. "I'm not going to change it. I'm 80. I don't look that good, but I looked good when I was 20."
    Ah, to have the grace and the wisdom to know when it's OK to let something age (and deteriorate) in its own time and not try to fix it.

The Haida Indians on their native homeland in the Queen Charlotte Islands (Haida Gwai'i) have the same philosophy. Their ancestors carved incredible totem and funerary poles in ancient times. When the villages were abandoned, the totems were allowed to disintegrate into the mist rather than be salvaged and put into museums somewhere.

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; November 24, 2006, 06:47 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Wisdom of the elders

Ah, to have the grace and the wisdom to know when it's OK to let something age (and deteriorate) in its own time and not try to fix it.

Allowing symbols of a culture to "age & deteriorate" gracefully in it's own time is part of the death of the overall culture.

Were I trying desperately to preserve and perpetuate a culture, it seems that restoring antiquities to their original state would be a good way to pass on so many cultural skills to a new generation ie Masonry, Rights of Worship, Social Heirerarchy, etc etc.

This is just more symptoms of "looking back" rather than "looking forward".
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post

Allowing symbols of a culture to "age & deteriorate" gracefully in it's own time is part of the death of the overall culture.

Were I trying desperately to preserve and perpetuate a culture, it seems that restoring antiquities to their original state would be a good way to pass on so many cultural skills to a new generation ie Masonry, Rights of Worship, Social Heirerarchy, etc etc.

Then again, TK, you are from another culture and expect all cultures to behave as yours does...NOT! And thank god for that.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I agree. Too bad Lum's family members lack the requisite skills to restore the heiau. Might as well finish knocking it down and construct some earthquake-proofed, affordable housing units in its place.
        Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K View Post
          I agree. Too bad Lum's family members lack the requisite skills to restore the heiau. Might as well finish knocking it down and construct some earthquake-proofed, affordable housing units in its place.
          Unless the people for whom the heiau represents something worth restoring (i.e. the kanaka maoli) intercede and persuade kahu Lum that it is important to restore it, I think she is correct in her thinking.

Jonah, am I correct in understanding that the general public cannot tour the heiau anyway, that it is used for cultural education for kanaka maoli kids and for rituals reserved for the kanaka maoli?

Miulang

Comment

If Mrs Lum would call upon the people to come and make a community service project out of it, the heiau would be restored. She is old and tired. Bless her, but this IS a sign that the next kahu should step forward, with Mrs Lum's blessing, and call upon the people to kokua.

This is about mana, not money.

pax

Comment

Aloha Pua'i,

I hope that Kanaka Maoli decide to preserve and reconstruct the Heiau. It may be cultural/religious to Hawaiians, but it is also historical/important to society as a whole.

Aloha Miulang,

Please reconsider your position on this particular issue. Cultures may come and go, but the issues surrounding their perpetuation or demise are always rooted in the present. Mrs. Lum may be overwhelmed by the prospect of rebuilding due to her age. But youngsters, like yourself, can help to round up and motivate a new generation. Apathy will only help to accelerate the demise of the culture of these beautiful islands.

I enjoy a variety of cultural practices - Christmas, Thanksgiving, Juneteenth, Fishing, my daughter in Hula, Country Music, Cinco de Mayo, Football, etc etc. One does not need to be native to a given culture to feel the pain of cultural icons that are no longer deemed important.

I say rebuild the Heiau, and when you need some donations to help the cause, I am a good one to call.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Aloha Pua'i,

I hope that Kanaka Maoli decide to preserve and reconstruct the Heiau. It may be cultural/religious to Hawaiians, but it is also historical/important to society as a whole.

Aloha Miulang,

Please reconsider your position on this particular issue. Cultures may come and go, but the issues surrounding their perpetuation or demise are always rooted in the present. Mrs. Lum may be overwhelmed by the prospect of rebuilding due to her age. But youngsters, like yourself, can help to round up and motivate a new generation. Apathy will only help to accelerate the demise of the culture of these beautiful islands.

I enjoy a variety of cultural practices - Christmas, Thanksgiving, Juneteenth, Fishing, my daughter in Hula, Country Music, Cinco de Mayo, Football, etc etc. One does not need to be native to a given culture to feel the pain of cultural icons that are no longer deemed important.

I say rebuild the Heiau, and when you need some donations to help the cause, I am a good one to call.
                As Pua'i stated above: it is the duty of the kanaka maoli to restore their sacred heiau. It is not up to people on the outside to tell the kahu what should or should not be done to their "religious" icons. It's not about money, it's about mana. And if the kanaka maoli are apathetic (my guess is there are legions of them who are not and would very gladly help restore the temple if the kahu asked them for that), then they are the ones who will suffer the loss the most.

The reason I get creeped out in history museums is because of all the cultural relics that are on display. I keep thinking, "would the person who owned this xxxx really want others to see this?"

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                  Unless the people for whom the heiau represents something worth restoring (i.e. the kanaka maoli) intercede and persuade kahu Lum that it is important to restore it, I think she is correct in her thinking.

Jonah, am I correct in understanding that the general public cannot tour the heiau anyway, that it is used for cultural education for kanaka maoli kids and for rituals reserved for the kanaka maoli?

Miulang
                  Prior to the October 15th earthquake, the general public was allowed to visit the Mo'okini heiau. During the 1970s, the site was cleaned up by the Lums with help from the local community after it has fallen into disrepair over the years. Weeds were removed, trails were restored, and protective walls were constructed in order to preserve and maintain the site for future generations. As Pua'i has indicated, Lum is old and tired; however, no one in her family is quite yet ready and willing to take over the responsibility of maintaining the heiau (and usually a new kahuna nui can't take over until their predecessor dies).

No one thought twice about repairing the earthquake damage to Hulihe'e Palace....
                  Last edited by Jonah K; November 25, 2006, 08:47 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention the sucession process....

Comment

No one thought twice about repairing the earthquake damage to Hulihe'e Palace....
                    But Hulihe'e Palace is not a sacred temple, either.

Miulang

Comment

But Hulihe'e Palace is not a sacred temple, either.

Miulang
                      However, it is a historic site that's worth preserving like Mo'okini heiau. I wonder if Lum's Roman Catholic upbringing influenced her decision not to repair the heiau....

Comment

However, it is a historic site that's worth preserving like Mo'okini heiau. I wonder if Lum's Roman Catholic upbringing influenced her decision not to repair the heiau....
                        Why do you think her Roman Catholic upbringing would influence her decision, though? Is she not supposed to be keeping the best interests of the kanaka maoli in mind?

Miulang

Comment

Why do you think her Roman Catholic upbringing would influence her decision, though? Is she not supposed to be keeping the best interests of the kanaka maoli in mind?

Miulang
                          If the Vatican were damaged by an earthquake, Lum would probably wish to repair it.

Unfortunately, by allowing Mo'okini heiau to remain in a state of disrepair, she's not necessarily keeping the best interests of the kanaka maoli in mind -- she's keeping her own best interests in mind.

Comment

There might be more to this than just the Lum's opinions or wishes.

http://starbulletin.com/2006/11/23/news/story03.html

When Castle & Cooke Inc. and Bishop Estate donated the heiau to the state in 1978, the land transfer contained a stipulation that the state would have to consult with Lum or her successors on all matters relating to the heiau. Other stipulations banned archaeological excavations or restorations. Lum said she is committed to letting the structure age

Maybe restoration is forbidden under terms of the title transfer?

Comment

Title transfer aside, I think Native Hawaiian traditions are best left to Native Hawaiians themselves--especially the preservation aspect. If I were a Native Hawaiian, I would not appreciate cultural and maybe even ethnic outsiders suggesting what should be done to a heiau.

From another scope, I don't like it when cockfights are considered cruelty to animals. Let me and my people have our derbies.
                              Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X