Spatchler = Spatula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spatchler = Spatula

Remember those terms you jumbled when you were a kid? Most times it stems from "baby talk" or simply not knowing how the word is spelled. Or it could be a regional adaptation that's universally accepted from children to adults.

Our neighbor's kid came by the other day asking me if I could lend them a "Spatchler". Of course I knew he was asking for a SPATULA (that flat-bladed cooking utensil), which I kindly obliged. Classic!

Another weird one my young nephew used to say was "kinno-back'um", which is a vacuum cleaner. Don't ask where that came from because I do not know. lol

What words do you fondly remember using/hearing or hear your/any kids (or anyone) pronouncing today that are slightly to way off the mark?
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Spatchler = Spatula

Growing up we'd say:

Lipper = Slipper

Batchoom = Bathroom

KaKahroach = KaKaroach

Bumbai = I have no idea where that came from, but to us it meant 'lataz', later or next time

Seed = Ling hing mui, anykine

Huzit;Howzit = how have you been, everything good?

Hah? = I didn't hear what you said ,please repeat it!

** the alphabet ofcourse, had a 5 letter word in it. 'LMmNoOPee'

anyways this was fun thinkin of ol' kine kids/local words. outties

KaYa T.
    sigpic

Comment

noonies = tator tots Dad says I made this one up randomly and my brother caught on. We still call them noonies. (whether it's spelled "noonies" I dunno, but that's how we say it)

footballs = inari Dad says I kept pestering grandma about what they were called because I couldn't remember "inari," and she finally got annoyed with me and called them footballs and that's what we've always called them.

The embarassing thing is...it took me til high school to realize no one else but my family called them noonies or footballs... I remember telling a friend that I wanted some noonies and she was like "wtf...?"

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
        Our neighbor's kid came by the other day asking me if I could lend them a "Spatchler". Of course I knew he was asking for a SPATULA (that flat-bladed cooking utensil), which I kindly obliged. Classic!
        This sounds identical to how someone from the Fall River-New Bedford (MA) metro area of Massachusetts might pronounce spatula. Many locals from that area have the propensity to drop "r"s from words that possess them, yet paradoxically, they add them to words that grammatically do not have them. Example: "I'm going to Fall Rivah to get a peetzer". Translation: "I'm going to Fall River to get a pizza".

I myself picked up the habit of pronouning theatre "Thee-ATE-er" while attending college at Southern Illinois University. People never understood me there when I pronounced "theatre" in the generally accepted pronounciation of it, and as such, I adopted the local way of saying it. To this day, I occasionally hear myself pronouncing theatre in the southern Illinois style of saying it.

Also while attending SIU, I acquired the habit of pronouncing the word "route" to rhyme with "out", rather than the more common way of pronouncing it to rhyme with "root". Example: "Take Route (rhyming with out) 51 south to Alexander County". I've since mended my pronounciation style of the word, though (like theatre) I occasionally find myself using the route-rhyming-with-out way of saying it.

Comment

When I was in elementary I used to pronounce hospital as "huxtable." Yes, like Bill Cosby's name on The Cosby Show.
          I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

My son used to say Panda Cakes....for pancakes

My son now says Fruck instead it truck and other people think he is saying...you know what! I always have to quickly say "Truck honey!"

Gage says Tuck Tard instead of Poptart....too cute. to me it sounds a bit naughty.
            Since when is psycho a bad thing??
            Sharing withother survivors...
            www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

The Hawaiian word for belly button is pickle.

Coogies taste good with milk.

I ate the chocolate, then the strawby, then the vaniller ice cream for the Napoleon flavor..(my aunt still calls it Napoleon)

And I used to mangle names all the time, too.

I had fun sliding down the big grass hills at Kakowako Park...

I used to call a girl named Andrea "an-gel."

People in my family still call my aunt Heather "Haddah." Growing up I thought it was just a way of pronouncing her name "in Pidgin" or whatevers. Came to find out that's just how they pronounce their name because they couldn't pronounce Heather when they were kids. Guess it just stuck with all of them all these years, even grandma and grandpa call her that still.
              myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Working...
              X