Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiz: Hawaii Sports Trivia

Hi all,

I've been creating a quiz on local sports, possibly for a new book, and thought this group would be interested. Here are the first ten questions:

Quiz: Hawaii Sports Trivia

1. This surfer was the “Queen of Makaha.” She helped launch the Women’s Professional Surfing Association and the women’s pro surfing tour. In 1977 she was named Hawaii’’s first female lifeguard.

2. This Kauai native was the second Hawaii golfer, after Ted Makalena, to win a PGA tour event when he captured the 1990 Hawaiian Open.

3. In 1948, this man, who later became a heart surgeon, set a U.H. football record with 302 passing yards. The mark stood until 1984 when it was broken by Raphel Cherry. He’s honored by a theatre at Saint Louis.

4. Alexander Hume Ford founded this organization in 1908 to resurrect the forgotten sport of surfing.

5. This school’s basketball team scored one of the biggest upsets in sports history in 1982 with its 77-72 victory over the number-one ranked University of Virginia, led by 7’ 4” Ralph Sampson.

6. This man is considered to be the most successful high school football coach ever in Hawaii. Under his guidance, Saint Louis won 241 games, 18 Interscholastic League of Honolulu championships,14 Oahu Prep Bowl titles and was even ranked #2 in the nation.

7. This sports legend played semi-pro football in Hawaii in 1941, and lived in Kaimuki, 6 years before breaking the baseball color barrier.

8. Barry Bonds played for this local minor league baseball team in 1985.

9. This Punahou football star from the early 1960’s, played in Michigan State’s legendary “Game of the Century” against Notre Dame in 1966. He went into coaching and has lived with Lou Gehrig’s disease since 1977.

10. This man signed with the Los Angeles Rams as a free agent in 1967, and later was UH football coach. Now he can be found on the radio dial.

Re: Quiz: Hawaii Sports Trivia

1. This surfer was the “Queen of Makaha.” She helped launch the Women’s Professional Surfing Association and the women’s pro surfing tour. In 1977 she was named Hawaii’’s first female lifeguard.
    Rell Sun.

2. This Kauai native was the second Hawaii golfer, after Ted Makalena, to win a PGA tour event when he captured the 1990 Hawaiian Open.
    David Ishii.

3. In 1948, this man, who later became a heart surgeon, set a U.H. football record with 302 passing yards. The mark stood until 1984 when it was broken by Raphel Cherry. He’s honored by a theatre at Saint Louis.
    Richard Mamiya.

4. Alexander Hume Ford founded this organization in 1908 to resurrect the forgotten sport of surfing.
    Oooh. Good one. I don't know it without Googling.

5. This school’s basketball team scored one of the biggest upsets in sports history in 1982 with its 77-72 victory over the number-one ranked University of Virginia, led by 7’ 4” Ralph Sampson.
    Chaminade University.

6. This man is considered to be the most successful high school football coach ever in Hawaii. Under his guidance, Saint Louis won 241 games, 18 Interscholastic League of Honolulu championships,14 Oahu Prep Bowl titles and was even ranked #2 in the nation.
    Cal Lee.

7. This sports legend played semi-pro football in Hawaii in 1941, and lived in Kaimuki, 6 years before breaking the baseball color barrier.
    Jackie Robinson. I don't know why more people don't talk about this one.

8. Barry Bonds played for this local minor league baseball team in 1985.
    Hawaii Islanders. Did you know his younger brother, Bobby Bonds, Jr. played for the Hilo Stars in the HWBL? I think Ichiro Suzuki was on the same team.

9. This Punahou football star from the early 1960’s, played in Michigan State’s legendary “Game of the Century” against Notre Dame in 1966. He went into coaching and has lived with Lou Gehrig’s disease since 1977.
    Charlie Wiedemeyer.

10. This man signed with the Los Angeles Rams as a free agent in 1967, and later was UH football coach. Now he can be found on the radio dial.
    Larry Price, "Da Coach."

Your questions are interesting and span a range of difficulties, but many of them are grammatically sloppy. Let me know if you need an editor. I work inexpensively and I'm good.

When is Jeopardy! going to call? I'm ready!
    Last edited by scrivener; November 25, 2006, 10:28 AM. Reason: "she was...and American girl..."
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Re: Quiz: Hawaii Sports Trivia

Geez, let's see if I can come up with some harder questions!

11. Roller Derby, boxing, basketball and wrestling dominated this arena, which existed on King Street from 1933 until 1974.

12. This sports venue opened on Isenberg and King Streets in 1926 and was affectionately called “Termite Palace.”

13. This man was sumo’s first yokozuna, or grand champion, born outside of Japan.

14. When this facility opened in 1958, it was referred to as the “Madison Square Garden of the Pacific.” It honored “The Manoa Fox,” who coached UH football from 1921-1939.

15. Sportscasters created the the nickname "Rainbows" when one appeared in 1924 and precceded a winning touchdown. What was the team name before that?

16. Local boy Dr. Luthor Gulick Jr. played a role in the creation of these two indoor sports in the 1890s as an winter alternative to calisthenics.

17. On August 26, 1939, baseball honored its founder Alexander Cartwright, who had lived in Hawaii. Brooklyn Dodgers’ manager Leo Durocher and Cincinatti Reds’ manager Bill McKechnie toasted with this drink before their game at Ebbets Field.

18. Honolulu Stadium had a sign in past right field with a company name on it. A baseball player who hit a home run through the "o" in it won $1,000. What company placed the sign there? Who was the first Islander to hit a ball through the "o" in 1968?

19. A team of Hawaii All-Stars beat the first professional basketabll team to visit Hawaii in 1947. What team's 128-game winning streak came to an end at the Civic Auditorium with a 44-41 loss?

20. Moby Dick author Herman Melville held a job in Hawaii in 1843 in a facility devoted to this sport.

Comment

Working...
      X