Walmart perscription drugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walmart perscription drugs

Anyone know if the local tv stations picked up this story?

With the rising costs of healthcare nowadays, I thought this news story would get a lot publicity.

Wal-Mart brings $4 drugs to Hawaii
    Pacific Business News (Honolulu) - 3:58 PM HAST Monday

Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the world's largest retailer, introduces a discount drug program in Hawaii this week, completing a nationwide rollout.

The program, launched in Florida in September and originally not scheduled for expansion elsewhere until next year, offers up to 30-day supplies of many generic prescriptions for $4.

The expansion of the program Tuesday to Hawaii and 10 other states will put the service into all 3,810 Wal-Mart (NYSE: WMT) pharmacies in 49 states.
    Obviously this is a good thing for the people of Hawaii. Now as predatory a competitor Walmart is to it's competitors, isn't it nice for a change to see a private sector business treat Hawaii as "just another location" as opposed to a profit center for gouging local folks ala the petroleum and shipping industries?

What do you guys think?

Re: Walmart perscription drugs

Originally posted by 808shooter View Post
    Anyone know if the local tv stations picked up this story?

With the rising costs of healthcare nowadays, I thought this news story would get a lot publicity.

Obviously this is a good thing for the people of Hawaii. Now as predatory a competitor Walmart is to it's competitors, isn't it nice for a change to see a private sector business treat Hawaii as "just another location" as opposed to a profit center for gouging local folks ala the petroleum and shipping industries?
    This will prove once and again that a lot of people in Hawaii crave for lower prices on goods and services.

The major prescription drug stores like Longs may cry foul. Certainly the smaller pharmacies and health organizations may also decry the presence of WalMart selling $4 generic drugs.

We've been here before. Just GO! to the Hawaii Interisland Air War thread and I am sure some of the same arguments against GO! and their lower prices will perpetuate themselves here.

Then of course there is that small but vocal minority who still hate WalMart and criticize them on everything they do. But they are definitely the minority as I see thousands of people at WalMart and all the other big boxes in town looking for a good bargain.

On the subject of media coverage, I just heard Rick Hamada talking on KHVH radio in support of the new competition. Haven't seen it mentioned on local TV.

People love low prices.
    Last edited by mel; November 28, 2006, 05:46 AM. Reason: added content, fixed typos
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Here in Oregon, Target and Rite Aid followed suit. But the mom and pop markets were unable to. I wonder if they will end up shutting down?
      I know it's a big sacrifice but my hubby needs his drugs at lower prices! Even if it is just generics.
      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
      Sharing withother survivors...
      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Just remember that the discount drugs will be generics, and even though the pharma companies that manufacture them swear that they are the exact same formulations as the brand name drugs, they may not all be that way. And the really costly brand name meds that are still covered under drug patents (like the chemo drugs and the newer antibiotics, etc.) will not be covered under this deal. Many of the cholesterol-reducing meds and diabetic control meds can be bought in generic form now, though.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
          Just remember that the discount drugs will be generics, and even though the pharma companies that manufacture them swear that they are the exact same formulations as the brand name drugs, they may not all be that way.
          Miulang...

Please show me a link that would bolster this claim you are making!

Generic Drugs are a good thing for people that do not have insurance.

Why would pharma companies risk peoples health and well being?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
            Miulang...

Please show me a link that would bolster this claim you are making!

Generic Drugs are a good thing for people that do not have insurance.

Why would pharma companies risk peoples health and well being?
            Start here. I'm not saying all generic drugs aren't the exact same formulation, but ask your doctor first if a generic can be taken in place of a brand name drug. In the case of an HMO, which buys all its drugs for its patients, you're more likely to get generics, but there's a whole panel of docs and pharmacists who review the differences (if any) between a generic and a brand name drug before it gets put into its formulary. You don't get that kind of safety net when you just go buy your meds from the corner drug store.

Miulang
            Last edited by Miulang; November 28, 2006, 08:12 AM.
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Sometimes there is just no choice bad or good drugs!
              Since when is psycho a bad thing??
              Sharing withother survivors...
              www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I saw this subject on the news a couple of nights ago.

Comment

Start here. I'm not saying all generic drugs aren't the exact same formulation, but ask your doctor first if a generic can be taken in place of a brand name drug. In the case of an HMO, which buys all its drugs for its patients, you're more likely to get generics, but there's a whole panel of docs and pharmacists who review the differences (if any) between a generic and a brand name drug before it gets put into its formulary. You don't get that kind of safety net when you just go buy your meds from the corner drug store.

Miulang
                  Miulang

So i went to that link... and it says exactly opposite as to what you originally posted!

A generic drug must contain the same active ingredients and must be equivalent in strength and dosage to the original brand-name product
                  You STATED in Post #4
                  Just remember that the discount drugs will be generics, and even though the pharma companies that manufacture them swear that they are the exact same formulations as the brand name drugs, they may not all be that way.
                  Important and correct information needs to be made public Miulang when it comes to health care choices!

Comment

Go to the FDA website for the best information on generic v. brand name drugs. It's important for every consumer to be informed. People spend more time trying to decide on the next car they want to buy than they do on their healthcare! And you really should ask your doc if there are generic equivalents to any drug s/he prescribes. More often than not, docs will prescribe the brand name version because they are being "paid" to do so. One of the big reasons why brand name drugs cost so much is because of all those freebies the docs hand out to you (their drug samples). And not all meds will have generic equivalents, so if you've got some weird-ass chronic disease, don't expect to find any cutrate drugs anytime soon. The pharma companies are trying to look more benevolent by offering free drugs to people who can't afford their prescriptions...the catch is, you gotta take their drugs.

Miulang
                    Last edited by Miulang; November 28, 2006, 08:42 AM.

Comment

ok..i want to chime in..sometimes generic is not always the best....

i had to take a prescription which i had to pay $200 out of MY pocket....and so i asked the dr is there a generic equivalent instead..he switched me to generic and i had to pay $5.00 but it did not work as well as the name brand..so irealy regretted that....because had i stayed on the name brand i could have avoided a 4 month stay at a hospital :P

Comment

According to this Advertiser story, KMart also is offering discount generic drugs ($15 for a 3 month supply v. $4 per month at Walmart). And more good news for you guys in Hawai'i: the story implies that TARGET is definitely headed in your direction!
                        Other companies, including Target (which plans to open stores in Hawai'i) and Kmart, also recently have discounted generic drugs.

Kmart yesterday touted its plan selling 90-day supplies of some generic prescriptions for $15. Wal-Mart's $4 deal is for 30-day supplies.

Wal-Mart said its discount program is available only for prescriptions filled in person, and does not apply to prescriptions filled by mail order. Refill prescriptions may be ordered online or by telephone, but must be picked up in person at a Wal-Mart or Sam's Club store.

Wal-Mart advises consumers interested in the program to ask their doctor if a generic drug is available for their prescription and if it is right for them.
                        Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree View Post
                          ok..i want to chime in..sometimes generic is not always the best....

i had to take a prescription which i had to pay $200 out of MY pocket....and so i asked the dr is there a generic equivalent instead..he switched me to generic and i had to pay $5.00 but it did not work as well as the name brand..so irealy regretted that....because had i stayed on the name brand i could have avoided a 4 month stay at a hospital :P
                          are you 100% sure that the switch is what caused the problem??? Could it have been something else possibly? Wouldn't the doctor be at fault for possibly prescribing something that made you sick if that were the case? I'm not doubting that this is what happened... but are you 100% sure that had you not switched... that you would have never ended up in the hospital?

I'm trying to find documented cases where a doctor switching someone to a generic drug has caused problems...and I can't find any (not saying there not... maybe I'm looking in the wrong places).... is there any documented cases that has shown that generic drugs can possibly cause more problems than a brand name drug????????

Comment

This is fantastic news indeed. It's crazy how much we have to pay for medications. Hopefully this will help the elderly groups out there and they will not have to order their medications from Canada because it's cheaper over there.

Mahalo
                            Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
                            Mark Twain

Comment

According to this Advertiser story, KMart also is offering discount generic drugs ($15 for a 3 month supply v. $4 per month at Walmart). And more good news for you guys in Hawai'i: the story implies that TARGET is definitely headed in your direction!

Miulang

Yes, TARGET is surely heading to HI. I applied for their HR positions in HI.
                              Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
                              Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X