This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawai'i Bowl: UH vs. ASU

Anyone know anything about the HAKA controversy?

A UH professor's concerns that the Warriors might be violating a copyright by performing the haka. AD Herman Frazier, though a spokeswoman, said: "Our legal department is looking into the issue. We don't believe we're violating any copyright laws at this time."
    http://blogs.honoluluadvertiser.com/...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

When has a dance ever been copyrighted? Or maybe one has been copyrighted... but can't they take a little different step here or a different step there and say it's the UH Football Team HAKA?

Re: Hawai'i Bowl: UH vs. ASU

NO PJ... I'm not derailing a thread.

I can't start a new thread on this subject matter because of the restrictions placed on me.

I would have... If I could have.

If you would like to open a thread on the HAKA... I will be more than willing to participate over there.

Back to the subject... Donovan didn't have a choice.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
      NO PJ... I'm not derailing a thread.

I can't start a new thread on this subject matter because of the restrictions placed on me.

I would have... If I could have.

If you would like to open a thread on the HAKA... I will be more than willing to participate over there.

Back to the subject... Donovan didn't have a choice.
      Yes, you are. And it's not my problem that you pissed someone off enough for them to limit your posting capabilities.

Donvan had a choice. He made the wrong one in going with ASU.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
        Anyone know anything about the HAKA controversy?

http://blogs.honoluluadvertiser.com/...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

When has a dance ever been copyrighted? Or maybe one has been copyrighted... but can't they take a little different step here or a different step there and say it's the UH Football Team HAKA?
        Interesting letter to the editor in the Honolulu Advertiser about the Haka.

"TRADITION

HAKA INAPPROPRIATE FOR HAWAI'I FOOTBALL TEAM

As a proud Maori living in Hawai'i, I am flattered when anyone wants to learn my culture, but I am also saddened when it is used inappropriately. From lu'au to high school football games, it seems everyone wants to perform the haka and now the University of Hawai'i football team has been using it to end their practices.

There is even talk of them performing it before their season opening game in Alabama this weekend.

The haka is not just a war dance but is an important part of my culture, steeped in tradition, history and spirituality. The Kapa O Pango (translated, it means Team in Black) haka that the Warriors have been practicing was written especially for the All Blacks rugby team.

The translation describes the mana of the All Blacks, their links to our land of Aotearoa (New Zealand) and the Silver Fern, the symbol of our nation and our national team. It is not appropriate for an American football team in Hawai'i to be doing this haka. If they must do a war dance, why can't they write their own? Something that is appropriate to Hawai'i, the university and the players.

I hear them talk of Polynesian Pride, but when you do the haka without knowing the real meaning, you disrepect my people and my ancestors.

Louisa Te'i
        Pearl Harbor"

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...608310342.html

Comment

Before this gets out of hand. I am temporarily closing this thread. Hopefully the admin can split this thread into 2 parts.

Comment

Working...
          X