The Travel Channel looking for help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Travel Channel looking for help

Hello, I posted an introduction as well, but I am looking for the things about Honolulu that people think are really special, really cool. We have a sort of do it your self travel show that will be in the are to film Honolulu and are looking for the very interesting and new stuff about the city and the rest of the island of Oahu.If you have any great ideas, pass them along... Can't wait!!
    Hotrodgirlly aka Stephanie
    "Not Your Average Travel Guide"
    Discovery Production Group

Re: The Travel Channel looking for help

Are you looking for soft white underbelly, behind the scenes, off the beaten path stuff????
    You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

I just sent you a private message.

Comment

Check out some of the content in the November issue of HONOLULU Magazine.

One cool angle would be some of the 9 most endangered sites in Hawaii. We partner with the Historic Hawaii Foundation to come up with the list each year. There's also a cool feature on 9 known people like Henry Kapono, Dee Jay Mailer, Rochelle Ballard, etc, telling stories of where they're from. I know that was an interesting read for me.

Comment

There's also the Hale Aina Awards that are announced in January's issue of HONOLULU. If you wanna feature some of the top dining places, or even some of the smaller little restaurants you love. the winners of that category were:

Gold - Little Village Noodle House
          Silver - Green Door Cafe
          Bronze - The Olive Tree Cafe

Check out more at www.honolulumagazine.com/events.html

Comment

Hey Pacific Basin Employee:

Please save your SPAM for the "Selling" forums here on HT.

Thanks,
            All Of Us Here At HawaiiThreads

Comment

Well, I sent this as a private PM but since I was the one who posted, I decided to share part of it here:

HI - several years ago I worked for a PR firm called *********, here in Honolulu. Their Senior VP has many close contacts at The Travel Channel. I would suggest you contact them for help with your research. I don't know the phone number off hand, but they do have a website at and you can get in touch with them that way. I would think this would be a more professional avenue to follow for your research.

Speaking for myself - I really wish you would NOT do another "discover Honolulu" piece. There are too many of these being done, and guide books being put out that tourists will follow. Recently, 2 women lost their lives, hiking a very dangerous trail that was mentioned in a guide book - without mentioning that it was an extremely dangerous trail. Really, just about everybody in the world who is thinking about visiting here already knows what they need to know about planning a trip.

There are some things we would just like to keep for ourselves.

I very sincerely wish that folks would NOT do any more special programs about how great a place this is to visit. We are over-saturated with visitors as it is and we really don't need any more "special" promos. The Hawaii Visitors Bureau does a good job without any more help from companies on the continent.
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                [...]I very sincerely wish that folks would NOT do any more special programs about how great a place this is to visit. We are over-saturated with visitors as it is and we really don't need any more "special" promos. The Hawaii Visitors Bureau does a good job without any more help from companies on the continent.
                Hawaii sells, regardless of the media. Tourism is our #1 industry, whether we like it or not. Neither of those will change in the near future. A good dose of aloha might be a better tack.

Comment

With all due respect, I will continue to say that enough is enough - "Aloha" has nothing to do with it. I will continue to "aloha" our visitors with directions, suggestions on where to stay or where to eat. I will suggest where to go for shopping and entertainment when asked. I will not however, promote more exploitation of our very finite resources. Our beaches are disappearing due to demand for more & more hotel rooms (and of course, build a breakwater so those wonderful visitors don't get any sand on them). Does anyone remember when you could walk the beach all the way from DeRussy to Queen's Surf? When you could drive down Kalakaua and actually see the ocean all the way down the street? When you could go down Kuhio Ave. and see Diamond Head? Sad to say, those days are long gone. Our water resources are being used for golf courses (and yes, I'm aware that some of it is reclaimed waste water) and green lawns at Ko Olina, instead of for crops to feed ourselves.

As you stated, Hawaii will sell as a destination, regardless of the media. But, that doesn't mean we should continue to prostitute ourselves for the almighty tourist dollar. An economy based so heavily in one industry is not a very stable economy. and if anything should happen to that main industry - where does that leave us?

I offered a suggestion to the original poster and then stated my opinion. What anyone else has to contribute is their own expression of their thoughts. I offer no apologies for my views.
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Hey Palolo Joe,

It's what I do for a living so there are some ideas that come out of that. It's relevant content that matches what the original question is. I'm not asking her to buy an ad or even a copy of the magazine, but if there was a chance to partner on something, does that really affect you? Isn't that what networking is all about?

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                      Well, I sent this as a private PM but since I was the one who posted, I decided to share part of it here:

HI - several years ago I worked for a PR firm called *********, here in Honolulu. Their Senior VP has many close contacts at The Travel Channel. I would suggest you contact them for help with your research. I don't know the phone number off hand, but they do have a website at and you can get in touch with them that way. I would think this would be a more professional avenue to follow for your research.

Speaking for myself - I really wish you would NOT do another "discover Honolulu" piece. There are too many of these being done, and guide books being put out that tourists will follow. Recently, 2 women lost their lives, hiking a very dangerous trail that was mentioned in a guide book - without mentioning that it was an extremely dangerous trail. Really, just about everybody in the world who is thinking about visiting here already knows what they need to know about planning a trip.

There are some things we would just like to keep for ourselves.

I very sincerely wish that folks would NOT do any more special programs about how great a place this is to visit. We are over-saturated with visitors as it is and we really don't need any more "special" promos. The Hawaii Visitors Bureau does a good job without any more help from companies on the continent.

Anapuni, just out of curiosity (not looking to start a fight or anything with this question), but are you originally from Hawai'i?
                      "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
                      "But I can't even read good."
                      "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
                      "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacbasin View Post
                        Hey Palolo Joe,

It's what I do for a living so there are some ideas that come out of that. It's relevant content that matches what the original question is. I'm not asking her to buy an ad or even a copy of the magazine, but if there was a chance to partner on something, does that really affect you? Isn't that what networking is all about?
                        From the FAQ:

Second, all outside announcements and promotional material (be it for a business, non-profit community group, or private project) should be relevant to Hawaii and limited to the "Hale Ku`ai" (Marketplace) section.
                        Save your promotional material for the proper forums here at HT. You can also "network" via PM.

Signing up for an account at HT using your company's name and an avatar from one of your magazines implies that you're on here posting on behalf of your company - not as an individual.

Go promote your business in the proper place.

Comment

I'm just glad PacBasin isn't someone who goes by the moniker ParadiseYellowPages.
                          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I don't know if we've reached "saturation" of tourists just yet. Sure, Waikiki is no longer what it WAS, but it is what it is, and if it continues in that direction, I don't see anything wrong with that. I'd love it if we could diversify our economy, but honestly, does anyone thing the tourism bubble will ever really break? If we continue to make this an appealing and rewarding destination, people will always want to come here. It's Hawaii. That's special.

Tourist dollars are earned elsewhere and brought here. As long as we can keep that going, I think it should be encouraged. Perhaps it will someday negate all the dollars made here and spent in Vegas.

More tourists? Bring 'em on!
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I've sent the below to "pacbasin" in response to a question about where and when commercial plugs are appropriate. The issue isn't entirely black and white, and I can appreciate both the skepticism over "pacbasin" posts and the genuine value and relevance they might provide:
                              Posts that highlight PacBasin products, even if "relevant" and well intentioned, will certainly rub some members of the community the wrong way. It's a Catch 22, because you're at least up front with your interests, and who knows what might be behind other comments, but people know when they're being pitched, rather than having a real conversation.

If you prove yourself by participating in other threads (including ones where PacBasin coincidentally hasn't published a related piece) and become a "real person" and not a spokesman or salesman, you'll find folks warming to you quickly -- especially since many HawaiiThreads users are local media people themselves.

Otherwise, if you just want to promote PacBasin works, the "Selling" forum is probably the only place you'll be given extra leeway. Then again, some folks have been known to harass folks there!
                              I've basically encouraged "pacbasin" to be more than just a corporate handle, and I encourage everyone else to give "pacbasin" a chance to learn the ropes here. In the mean time, let's try to return this thread to its original topic... such as it is!

Comment

Working...
                              X