Bored with School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bored with School

I'm bored with school. UHH is just too lax.

Re: Bored

Originally posted by Brandon007 View Post
    maybe you need to do more ganja :-D

Comment

Re: Bored

Take more credits.

I knew a guy in UHM who claimed to take 30 credits. He was probably lying though :P

Comment

Re: Bored with School

You probably should have chosen attend a university (or at least a field of study) that's a little more academically rigorous.
        Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Transfer to Manoa!

Manoa is lax to... however, not as lax as Hilo!

At least you will have more option to challenge yourself educationally.

Comment

"I'm boooorrrrred!! There's nothing to dooooo!!"

Gee, when I hear that, guess what I do in response.

Comment

If you're that bored, go get a parttime job and make some money, or go do some volunteer work in the community and make a difference to somebody!

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

switch your major to physics.

pax

Comment

Here might lie some of the problems.

The first two years of college are normally spent getting many of the General University Requirements out of the way so that you can take the upper level classes that are a bit more difficult.

Can you increase your credit load therefore increasing your work load which will also help you get out of college sooner?

Once you get into the upper level classes... you may find yourself with not enough time!

But yes... Hilo was kind of boring for me...those lower level requirement were very easy.

If anything... excel at them.... and try your best not to be bored.... time goes by slow when your bored.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                    switch your major to physics.
                    True dat. Physics is never boring.

Comment

Before he can take Physics... he has to take Math 101...

It's sequential... and If Math 101 is boring to him... well he will just have to suffer... because he needs the lower level credits to get him into the higher level classes.

We need to remember this is still his first semester here at UH Hilo.

Brandon? what classes are you taking?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                        Before he can take Physics... he has to take Math 101...
                        Not true. The only math courses I took in college were those required for my major, which were calculus courses.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                          Not true. The only math courses I took in college were those required for my major, which were calculus courses.
                          That's correct partially correct Pua'i, but part of the General University Requirements... is at least 3 credits in symbolic reasoning... which is generally a 100 level math class, often many students substituted that with Philosophy 110 (ie; logic) (things may have changed...it's been a while since I was there)

Comment

One of the big differences between high school and college is that it's now your job to take advantage of the resources in college. In high school the teachers' job was to get you to learn the material. In college they offer it up and answer questions, but for the most part they aren't going to do any hand holding. you can test out of weed outs, you can outright skip them, you can audit classes that you can't yet take for credit or don't need on your record. If the classes are too easy, you can just go to the midterm and final and use the time you'd be in class to take another class. There are a lot of things you can do to make it more challenging.

My opinion is that bored in high school is the teachers fault, bored in college is your fault. Just get out there and do more. It takes a while to get used to the new mindset sometimes, so just give it a little while.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                              That's correct partially correct Pua'i, but part of the General University Requirements... is at least 3 credits in symbolic reasoning... which is generally a 100 level math class, often many students substituted that with Philosophy 110 (ie; logic) (things may have changed...it's been a while since I was there)
                              Manoa, if you have a weenie major (e.g. those that don't have higher-level math requirements), then the math courses required fall in line with general ed requirements. In the broadest terms, college majors fall into two categories: natural sciences and fluffy sciences. The way to make them more rigorous is to sample from both groups; cracking functions and extensive writing. Or a hybrid major: economics comes immediately to mind.

But don't ******* take math 101. If you are paying the money, challenge yourself.

pax

Comment

Working...
                              X