Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffy the Vampire Slayer

even now, as i type this, i'm thinking maybe i shoulda checked the other threads in case i'm re-starting something...

but did anyone else besides me adore Buffy the Vampire Slayer?
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Re: BtVS

I loved me some Buffy. I assume we're talking about the TV series, yar? Anyway, last season was *gag* but there were a few gems buried in it. Overall I really liked the writing of the show (the dark stuff mixed with the comedy and pop culture), and (almost) all characters were enjoyable to watch. Even it was Anya being entirely too outspoken, or Tara being shy and caring (btw I was supremely pissed at what happened with her character and the replacement with that annoying Kennedy).

I need to complete my Buffy DVD collection STAT!
    myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

If it says anything... and I think it does... My wife and I collected all 7 box sets for the whole show. Hooray for cheap used DVD stores! That was probably cheaper than renting them in the long run.

Fantastic show, fantastic writing. I could've done without the 2-3 episode long "Buffy's mom" sequence. I won't write spoilers, you guys probably know what I'm talking about. Other than that though, awesome.

I was super pleased by the cameo appearance of "Captain Reynolds" there too.. heheh.

Comment

i loved the whole allegorical thing about it. yes, i understand how you feel about "the body" and surrounding eppies, bcs i feel the same way. the whole buffy-angel thing could reduce me to tears, too. i wasn't sure about dawn at first but as time went i enjoyed her being part of the scooby gang. and of course i love buffy-speak--"i kissed my toast" versus "kakistos" is one example. and then the whole faith and buffy switching bodies....

all i'll say is if a new movie came out based on the tv series, i'd be "five by five!"
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I actually thought "The Body" part of the series was pretty powerfully awesome and one of the best episodes of the show along with the musical and the episode "Hush"... The reactions by the characters to the death of someone they all truly loved and not just "random poor sucker that gets turned into vampire" meshed wonderfully and believably with the entire atmosphere of the episode (pretty much completely silent and serious save for the short Christmas scene). It was a fairly different approach and I think it worked perfectly for the subject matter, and as well as contributing greatly to what happens to Buffy later in the season.
          myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

I can't really disagree with you guys... I thought it was very artistic and interesting from a literary/film-critic sort of POV. It was just .. you know, we get it. Get on with the show!! Most of us have had to deal with that uncomfortable and sad sort of situation before and being reminded of it is not why I watched the show.

I thought both Hush and Once More with Feeling were pretty brilliant too (and far more enjoyable ). I spent the next couple of weeks after we watched that walking around and doing the "silent guy" face to my wife.. heheh.

Comment

What ever happened to this show???

Did Buffy (AKA: Sarah Michelle Gellar) Finally slayed all her vampires?? The fact that her lover vampire (AKA: Davis Boreanaz) Moved to a different show??

Or was it cancelled altogether, because not enough viewers???

Can any one enlighten me on what actually happened to the show?? (other than an occational re runs now & then).

Aloha.
              Aches & Pains
              (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Sure. We have all the DVDs for Buffy and a season of Angel, so...

I'm not sure why they decided to stop the show, but IMO it was definitely declining in quality over the last two seasons. Maybe it was more obvious since we were watching 1-2 a night instead of one a week, but it got considerably more violent, gory, and IMO far away from the original premise that made it entertaining.

So what happened was...

The "First Evil" (their biggest and baddest boss yet) had decided to wage an all-out assault on the earth by using proto-vampires, which were sorta the stock that the more human-like vampires came from. Much stronger, more resistant to the things that killed regular vampires. Willow was able to come back from the "dark side" earlier and she used a spell to awaken *all* of the potential slayers in the world (so they got their slayer powers right away instead of after Buffy died again.. and again.. ). They actually took the offensive into the hell dimension with all those slayers while, of all people, Spike uses an amulet thingy that Angel found for Buffy, and destroys the hellmouth with it. The result of that is to turn the entirety of Sunnydale into a gigantic sinkhole on the interstate (that's the final shot of the last episode, amusingly... "Welcome to Sunnydale" sign teetering on the brink of a giant pit).

So yeah I'd say the show's pretty finished unless they decide to focus on another time period's slayer or move to another town.

Oh and Angel more or less stays out of Buffy after he leaves for his own show, though there's an occasional cross-over episode.

Joss Whedon moved on to Firefly after that, and some other projects, like Fray. The latter is a good way to get some more Buffyverse if you're looking for a fix.
                Last edited by Bard; February 23, 2007, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Do we need to spoiler font posts for this show even though it's been over for quite a while now and there are no new eps? BtVS was my first fandom. Is anyone here a Bronzer?

Comment

The Bronzers are planning a 10th year anniversary cyber celebration for BtVS at the Bronze Beta on March 10. It's not a big formal thing but hopefully some old timers will appear and nostalgia will flow

Comment

me me me me me me me!!!

cyn = devlynaskurt

tho i didn't post much, so it's not like i expect anyone to remember me. i was at the bronze the way i was in high school--wallflower.

Comment

Ah well hope to see you there, then ericncyn. I'm not sure I will be posting on a Sat but I will try. My Bronze name was Adri (I know, a surprise *g*) aka Adriana and sometimes aka AdriLilith.

Comment

Speaking of Bronzers.. you guys see this? The trailer is somewhat cringe-worthy...

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
                            Speaking of Bronzers.. you guys see this? The trailer is somewhat cringe-worthy...
                            Well, it helped her get her PhD and in the process she got to have fun with fans who are also her friends and got to meet, talk with and work with some people who worked on the show. I think that's pretty cool.

Comment

Working...
                            X