Pearl Jam live in Waimea Valley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearl Jam live in Waimea Valley

Just got back from a private benefit show Pearl Jam did at Waimea Valley Audubon Center for the North Shore Land Trust.

A totally plugged-in two hour performance on a small stage (about a couple feet off the ground) ... the closest thing Pearl Jam likely comes to a club gig these days. Maybe a couple hundred in the crowd. The band seemed to genuinely enjoy playing thisclose to each other on a small stage for a crowd that was, literally, right up in their faces.

Gossard and Eddie were probably a couple of feet in front of me from my spot at the front of the stage.

If any of you are going to Blaisdell Arena to see Pearl Jam on Saturday pray that the band does "Crazy Mary." Waimanalo native "Boom" Gaspar does a improv keyboard solo on the song that is nothing short of amazing! The guy is genius. Eddie just watched in total admiration, smiling, totally getting off on seeing "Boom" finally solo at home. Mike McReady jumped in front of "Boom's" keys after a bit and improvised along with him. Matt Cameron went animal on his kit. Gossard and Ament just watched "Boom" ... seemingly awestruck. At song's end, the crowd chanted "Boom!" "Boom!" "Uncle Boom," for his part, was completely moved by the admiration.

I can't wait to see a sold-out Blaisdell crowd go postal for Uncle Boom.

Other sweet moments: Covers of The Who's "Baba O'Riley" and Neil Young's "Rockin' In The Free World for the second encore; Eddie falling backward into the audience and crowd surfing over it; Eddie mugging during "Free World" for the entertainment of his little daughter who was standing stageside with her mom (and with a large pair of noise dampening headphones on); and "Even Flow" with a Gossard solo that was probably heard out on Kam Highway.

Pearl Jam has only grown sweeter with age. Simply amazing!

Re: Pearl Jam live in Waimea Valley

Thanks for this very descriptive post! Sounds like it was a memorable gig.

Comment

It was an epic show. I was on McReady's side.

It looked like Mike was ready to do Ledbetter, but got nixed at the last minute. I downloaded the bootleg from last week's Newcastle show and they did a Ledbetter/Little Wing medley. Off the hook.

I have the feeling tomorrow's show is going to be epic.

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
        I have the feeling tomorrow's show is going to be epic.
        just got home from blaisdell. i'm sure you'll agree, it was epic x 1,000.

two hours and 50 minutes of epic!

Comment

Working...
        X