Aged Parents and Christmas Gifts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aged Parents and Christmas Gifts

Anybody here with aged parents or in-laws? What are you getting them for Christmas? I need ideas! I know, it depends on their interests, lifestyle, etc... but, just curious what others give their own. Thanks!!

Re: Aged Parents and Christmas Gifts

My mother in law will be getting a gift card to her favorite store (with a significant amount on it), a framed picture of her grandchildren, a comfy throw, chocolates, a huge scented candle, and quite possibly a bottle of Bailey's. Husby (my kane as I usually call him) is Irish on that side and even his 91 year old gma does shots of Jameson during family get togethers.

His father, who knows what we will get him. We maybe see him once every year to every other year so we have to send it. I'm still thinking into that.

My mother loves clothes, makeup, handbags, girly things so shopping for her is incredibly easy for me. My father loves movies, electronics, lots of typical guy things. And he makes no secret of the top 10 or so things he currently would love to have but wouldn't spend money on.

Don't know if that helps you at all but that is what's going on with me.
    I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

For My Parents

School Photos and other photos of the granddaughter. Some school art that has collected over the last 3 months. Pay for the maid for a few months. (Just found out that Mom got a maid once a week to help with some of the harder cleaning chores ie. scrub tub & toilets, vacuum, etc.) Dad gets a book about football or the mafia, and a shirt that truly fits from Oshima Dry Goods where 4X is a common size.

Other ideas include rest. gift certificates, and show tickets. Also, couple nights in Reno, they love to go.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I like to prowl eBay looking for memorabilia from their past. For example, this year I found my father some interesting and rare Milwaukee Road stuff (my grandfather, who died before I was even born, retired from that railroad).

Old people seem to take comfort in old stuff, in my experience. The downside, of course, is that you are limited to what appears on eBay so you need to start looking earlier than Thanksgiving, just in case the selection is poor for a while (or prices go up in holiday bidding frenzies).

Comment

Well, my 80-year-old mom has interests that go everywhere. I'm giving her books about current affairs (politics) and current CDs from artists she likes.
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

When my parents were alive, my adult daughter lived about 30 min. from them. Each Christmas during the time they were in their 80s she gave them a menu and a homemade gift certificate good for one meal a month from their favorite restaurant...which was subject to change each year! Every month they'd set a date, Staci would take their order, phone it in, pick it up, deliver it and sit down to a tasty meal with grandma and grandpa. Even at my age, this would be a wonderful gift! I sure hope my daughter moves back to Hawaii!

If you don't live close enough to do the leg work, the idea still works with restaurants that deliver.

Comment

Last year we brought our aging grandparents to tears.
              I took every single grandchild's photograph and had them put on (I ironed them on) a Simple nightshirt. Then for mom we put them on an Apron.
              It's not goofy because they don't have to wear it in public but it warms the heart and it's for home.
              It's Personal....I added We love you on the bottom of the shirt.

Also the kids have made Both grandparents fleece throws. They used those alot!

I am big fan of the Old Navy Fleece sweatshirts as well. As they age they get colder and the fleece is a godsend as my mother in law put it.
              Since when is psycho a bad thing??
              Sharing withother survivors...
              www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
                I took every single grandchild's photograph and had them put on (I ironed them on) a Simple nightshirt. Then for mom we put them on an Apron.
                You know what else would work like that? A handwritten certificate giving them your promise that you'd scan one entire old photo album per month until they've got all the old photos on CD.

'Course, if you don't own a scanner this could get really expensive.
                http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Working...
                X