X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kamehameha Schools Admissions Policy Upheld

See the article that just came out....

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...420873691.html

Re: Kamehameha Schools Admissions Policy Upheld....

As a staunch supporter of Hawaiian rights, I celebrate this decision. I have always said, justice will prevail for Hawaiians not because America is evil but because America is the greatest country on Earth and has shown herself the best country in human history to recognize, admit and rectify past mistakes.

Imua Kamehameha.
    Imua Hawaii.

Comment

I Concur!

Imua Kamehameha!

Comment

Now it is up to the school to uphold the moral imperative and legitimize their apologia. In other words, those 1:8 Hawaiians that they accept MUST be of that pool of Hawaiians that they mention in their defense. Orphans. Indigents. Felix kids. Kids from single-parent homes. Kids from the housing projects. Kids whose parents are drug addicts. Kids in foster care.

It has been KS policy FOR YEARS to limit the above kinds of Hawaiian kids to 15% of their student base. And they have contemplated raising that number to 25%.

Looking at it through the lens of an educator, isn't 25% still a failing grade?

As a Hawaiian, I believe that the hand of our kupuna and Ke Akua is on this decision. The onus is now upon the viziers of the Princess to carry out her Will. And for the viziers: if they are going to use the poor Hawaiians as their legal excuse, then it is their moral obligation to ensure that the students whom they educate are dem poor Hawaiians.

pax

Comment

woohoo!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
            Now it is up to the school to uphold the moral imperative and legitimize their apologia. In other words, those 1:8 Hawaiians that they accept MUST be of that pool of Hawaiians that they mention in their defense. Orphans. Indigents. Felix kids. Kids from single-parent homes. Kids from the housing projects. Kids whose parents are drug addicts. Kids in foster care.

It has been KS policy FOR YEARS to limit the above kinds of Hawaiian kids to 15% of their student base. And they have contemplated raising that number to 25%.

Looking at it through the lens of an educator, isn't 25% still a failing grade?

As a Hawaiian, I believe that the hand of our kupuna and Ke Akua is on this decision. The onus is now upon the viziers of the Princess to carry out her Will. And for the viziers: if they are going to use the poor Hawaiians as their legal excuse, then it is their moral obligation to ensure that the students whom they educate are dem poor Hawaiians.
            Very well said and I only hope that the administration will be diligent and hold themself responsible to see that his is done.

Comment

Kamehameha definitely has a preference for the cream of the crop, so to say. My baby cousins, who currently attend, had a hell of a time getting in. And 1/8 kanaka is a lot, it's my understanding that many who attend are 1/32 and 1/64. I know blood quantum is a haole/western concept but those with higher amounts seem to be the ones not getting picked and the ones most in need. I believe they should reach out to the Hawaiian keiki who need it most. In my mother's day I guess blood quantum was an important consideration when it came to admission. She truly cherished her time at KS. I want those in the most need, whom the will was honestly made to protect, to have all the same chances at a top notch education.
              I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Reminder: This ruling could (and probably will) be appealed to SCOTUS.

Comment

And I hope that once this case is settled at the US Supreme Court, if it goes that far.....will leave things alone......how dare they oppose our Princess' Last Will and Testament?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

IMUA KAMEHAMEHA!

FYI - I had one son admitted and 1 son denied admission to KSBE......

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
                    Kamehameha definitely has a preference for the cream of the crop, so to say. My baby cousins, who currently attend, had a hell of a time getting in. And 1/8 kanaka is a lot, it's my understanding that many who attend are 1/32 and 1/64. I know blood quantum is a haole/western concept but those with higher amounts seem to be the ones not getting picked and the ones most in need. I believe they should reach out to the Hawaiian keiki who need it most. In my mother's day I guess blood quantum was an important consideration when it came to admission. She truly cherished her time at KS. I want those in the most need, whom the will was honestly made to protect, to have all the same chances at a top notch education.
                    To be clear, my 1:8 reference wasn't on blood quantum, but the one accepted out of every eight Hawaiian children who apply to KS.

I wrote this post about the Princess' will, clarifying who she said to help. Granted, it was detailed and most people (if they bothered to read it) skimmed it over, but the points are these:

-she never said to educate the Hawaiian kids.
                    -she said to educate the orphaned and indigent. AMONG them, give preference to Hawaiian kids.

Meaning, 100% of the students of KS should be orphaned and indigent. If they all be of Hawaiian ancestry, may it be because there are 5,400 Hawaiian kids of these two socio-economic classes who qualify.

And if they run out of orphaned and indigent Hawaiian kids, then let them choose the poor Samoan/haole/Puerto Rican kid who could benefit of the blessings of our Princess.

For remember: our ali'i governed over ALL of Hawai'i's subjects; they were heads of state, not simple tribal chiefs who saved their fishies for their villages.

*sigh*

And you know what? The Trustees know this. Read their defense. It is all about our people topping the negative social indicator lists.

So, I am glad. Glad because the ruling is right. And glad because this will help further the spiritual calling of Kamehameha Schools. Yes, spiritual is the right word; it was a gift on behalf of a woman who used her personal resources to help those who were suffering and dying around her. I pray the trustees do the right thing; this isn't about race. It is about class. As our Princess was a Christian, invariably these scriptures apply to her reasons for her will:

Matthew 25:40 "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

I mua Kamehameha.

pax

Comment

To be clear, my 1:8 reference wasn't on blood quantum, but the one accepted out of every eight Hawaiian children who apply to KS.
                      Sorry, I misunderstood that. But as always you make a lot of great points. I think everyone here learns a lot from you.
                      I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Here's the official ruling from the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. It provides a good historical perspective of the case and some precedents.

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

gyah! confonnitbuggahfilenevalikeuploadgrrr...
                          Last edited by Pua'i Mana'o; December 5, 2006, 02:56 PM.

pax

Comment

gyah! confonnitbuggahfilenevalikeuploadgrrr...
                            It uploaded fine for me. Maybe you gotta update your Adobe Reader?

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The KSBE officials shouldn't be smiling and laughing and back slapping like they just won the prep bowl. They should be solemn and respectful and serious. Unfortunately, even the top dog KSBE officials don't seem to appreciate the deep spiritual situation this court decision represents.

Comment

Working...
                              X