Most Disastrous Albums of all time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Disastrous Albums of all time

I'm sure some some of you here will not agree to this list, but it's true some of our favorite artist are included to this list of the most disastrous albums of all time!

View it here: http://www.blender.com/guide/article...200&src=gbr144

Re: Most Disastrous Albums of all time

Great list, and thanks for the link. Most of what's on there is pretty predictable (have you seen 24 Hour Party People?), but no way does Tusk belong on it. First of all, Rumours was one of the best-selling albums of all time, so there was no way anything Fleetwood Mac did after it, short of a baldfaced remake, could compare. The title track on Tusk is one of the greatest and most unique rock and roll songs ever. Those pulsating floor toms, that swelling horn section, those murmured lyrics leading up to "TUSK!" make it a primal, hormone-laden masterpiece and the best song from a truly awesome musical group.

Albums that might have made a slightly longer list:

Van Halen, Van Halen 3. First and last album with Gary Cherone. Cherone gets all the blame but he doesn't deserve it. He's a very good singer, but the band just forgot how to write good songs for that album. I dearly wish the band had stuck it out with Cherone for at least two more albums.

REM, Monster. This is actually a good album, but REM had had such a good run that this non-hit-producing disc, while perhaps not disastrous, is a major turkey. The band never really recovered, 'though it did do some brilliant SONGS after ("I'm pushing an elephant up the stairs / I'm tossing out punchlines that were never there..."). You can't give away your copy of Up.

U2, Pop. Bleah.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Bone Thugs-N-Harmony's "Thug World Order" is up (down) there. The group just didn't sound together, and they had Phil Collins of all people on one track. I think this album marked the fall of BTNH.
      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I echo Scrivener's sentiment on Fleetwood Mac's Tusk. I bought the album when it first came out, and today have 3 copies of it.... 2 on vinyl and the special edition version on CD. It's a different album than the usual Rumours type that the Mac can crank out with ease. Love it!

It's the only album I own on that list.

Here are albums I would add:

Victim of Love: Elton John, and pretty much a lot of the stuff he made after this. Victim is the worst EJ album of all time as it was a misguided attempt to capitalize on the disco music craze in 1979. A eurodisco version of Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode"? Pleeeaze!

Close to this one is Elton John's double album of 1976 called Blue Moves, which had some good moments, but overall is a dud.

I have U2's Pop and frankly it must be bad because I haven't played it in years. Not even on my iTunes yet. A lot of people also hated Rattle & Hum.

R.E.M.'s Monster must be so bad that stores can't even give the thing away for free. I see so many of these CDs in the bargain bins, usually selling for less than $6. Unfortunately I bought one when the album was brand new in the 1993 or 4 or whenever it came out. I thought "What's the Frequency Kenneth" is not a very bad song. Another dud of an album from R.E.M. is the first one they did after their drummer left the group... I can't remember the title of that one.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I would include Janet Jackson's The Velvet Rope and Janet. After Rhythm Nation 1814, none of her albums could match it. At least her brother Michael slowly got worse, for Janet, she went from "superstar" to Penny Woods(from Good Times) in one album.
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

I will BOLDLY predict that the as yet not released Guns & Roses "Chinese Democracy" will go down in music business history as the most expensive and creative flop of all time. G N R was a great example of the sum being greater than the parts. Axl + hired hands = meh.

Comment

Cool...Indeed it is a great list! I also have the album, of Fleetwood Mac, Rumors, and I like it!
              Also I have the all the album of Mariah Carey, I guess Blender is right to place Mariah's album Glitter, coz at that time they released it, the album, sales went down, and the diva went out lots of struggling and obstacles that time.
              For me I guess the Glitter is a great album though, the only reason is.., it is released during the 9/11...

Comment

What? No GN'R "Chinese Democracy"? Over 10 years in the making. Millions of dollars spent. A rotating cast of characters. Paxil Rose. Anybody else smell the sulfur-like stench of a rotten egg?

"Tusk." It's a perfectly fine album. Especially the titled track. Great song. Give it up the marching band.

Comment

Unless you've been fortunate (or rather unfortunate) enough to have ever heard William Shatner (yes, Captain Kirk) "sing", well, you just have not lived. Evidently he's made entire albums, but I've only heard selected "songs" on the radio. One song was enough! It was burned into my brain like a hot poker passing through.

Comment

"Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" and "Mr. Tambourine Man" are true novelty classics by Captain Kirk! One thing for sure, the guy is very versatile... actor, spokesman, "singer" and now game show host.
                    Last edited by mel; December 6, 2006, 08:35 PM. Reason: fix spelling
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                      "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" and "Mr. Tambourine Man" are true novelty classics by Captain Kirk! One thing for sure, the guy is very versatile... actor, spokesman, "singer" and now game show host.
                      I think this classic by Mr. Spock is better....maybe they can use it for the Hobbit movie.
                      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                      Flickr

Comment

One that I would add:
                        Iz: _Iz
                        'Alika

Comment

Originally posted by akrauth View Post
                          One that I would add:
                          Iz: _Iz
                          Huh? What chu talkin 'bout Willis?

Comment

Check it out and you'll see why. Go to amazon.com and search for it. The album itself is titled "Iz." Let me know what you think.
                            'Alika

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Jeff View Post
                              Huh? What chu talkin 'bout Willis?
                              Originally posted by akrauth View Post
                              Check it out and you'll see why. Go to amazon.com and search for it. The album itself is titled "Iz." Let me know what you think.
                              I was ready to cry blasphemy until I checked it out. The artist that akrauth is talking about isn't our beloved Iz. It's another artist that goes by the same name.

I really hate how Amazon makes no indication of the difference. If you buy the fake IZ + the real IZ's Ka`Anoi together, you get a discount.
                              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                              We're not here to mess around
                              Boston, you know we love you madly
                              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                              You know we couldn't live without you
                              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Working...
                              X