PDA

View Full Version : An' Den

Izzie
June 17th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Huuuuui!
I finally made it over here *waving shaka wit both hands*. Ho, you know how much I wanted fo' come check dis place out, but waz jahs supah busy. But eh... waz worth da climb up da mountain, thru da valley and den, da swim across da ocean! I wen spawk a few AlohaWorld Ohana Lanai membahz visiting hea too. Whooohoooo! Anyone wen bring da pu pu? *hee hee*

Okay, I going go hana sum'mo. I no like jahs barge in and make house on my 1st visit, and den. Ho, I not li'dat, you know!

So.. good to finally pop in and give all you shaka people on BIG Ohana style HUG & Honi on each cheek... Bum'bai I come back again.

Mokihana
June 17th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Huuuuui!
I finally made it over here *waving shaka wit both hands*. Ho, you know how much I wanted fo' come check dis place out, but waz jahs supah busy. But eh... waz worth da climb up da mountain, thru da valley and den, da swim across da ocean! I wen spawk a few AlohaWorld Ohana Lanai membahz visiting hea too. Whooohoooo! Anyone wen bring da pu pu? *hee hee*

Okay, I going go hana sum'mo. I no like jahs barge in and make house on my 1st visit, and den. Ho, I not li'dat, you know!

So.. good to finally pop in and give all you shaka people on BIG Ohana style HUG & Honi on each cheek... Bum'bai I come back again.

Whoo hoo Izzie!!!! U wen make it heah!!!! So good to spock yoah maka!! :)

Ho, dis place no going be da same nomo!!! :eek: :)

adrian
June 17th, 2004, 05:52 PM
Welcome Izzie!

I hope you enjoy your stay here. Tip: try and translate before you post here. Most of us stay learning good english or trying to forget the pidgin language.

Izzie
June 17th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Welcome Izzie!

I hope you enjoy your stay here. Tip: try and translate before you post here. Most of us stay learning good english or trying to forget the pidgin language.
What a pity. I'm terribly sorry if I offended anyone for just being "me". I'm a fun loving person, but if it means that my having fun disturbes anyone, I'm truly sorry.

Speaking in pidgin is part of my heritage and I'm VERY proud of it. In fact, having graduated with a Th.D and certified to go on various mission trips to war stricken countries really taught me that people and nations should be proud of their heritage. I've since learn that being humble, accepting all man kind no matter what creed, color or language they speak is part of loving unconditionally.

I think it was when I was holding a dieing child in my arms having half of her blown away when she stepped on a land mind. Her mother was near us weeping while on her knees. It really showed me that life is so dang precious to get caught up the etiquettes of speach. By the way, that nation of people were fighting for their culture, traditions and language. They believed in themselves as a nation that they were willing to DIE to KEEP what they had. At that moment... my eyes were opened.

I learned then that I wanted to KEEP my heritage, customs and culture even though I now reside in the heartland of the Untited States of America where people are dang proud to be speaking in their western, eastern and southern accents. Yes, even those from Lousiana with their "Pidgin" French Creole, are proud to be speaking according to their culture. When I open my mouth and "proudly" spurt out my Hawaiian Creole, heads turn, and people ask me to TEACH them words and slangs. Then they pick it up and I pick up their accents as well. Oh how wonderful to have the LIBERTY to do such a thing. To communicate without having to put on a FRONT.. trying to be someone I'm not.

Don't get me wrong, I can speak "proper" English. Been a public speaker in So. California for over 20 years, and then in Georgia. And yes, even in Hawai'i too. I speak proper English professionally for communication sake, and not to try to prove anything else than that. Heck, I don't have to.

Speaking for myself, it doesn't matter what color, creed, religion, or mode of speach a person uses to communicate with. Whether it be a different language, English with an accent, or a Creole like the Hawaiian Pidgin.. heck, I accept them all, unconditionally. And I would feel terrible if I knew it was offensive to anyone, as I do right now.

Well, I do sincerely thank you for the "tip". As I bow out, I wish all of you who are trying to "forget" how to speak Pidgin and who are striving to learn "good English" much success with it. Again, I'm sorry if I offended ANYONE here, believe me.. it was NOT my intent.

Malama pono... oops.. If writing in Hawaiian is offensive here also, forgive me once again. Really didn't mean to bust another eggshell.

I'm NOT being sarcastic here, just being straight forward about how I view life. This is why I can respect you all, well as you said, "most of you" who wishes to keep this place pidgin free. Well, that let's me out *LOL*, for you see, I'm living on the mainland, for many years, in fact. With ENGLISH people surrounding me all the time.. and truth is... I MISS being able to "feel at home". I thought I could do that here with people who actually had the privilage of living on the island I once grew up on. To enjoy her "flowers" again. Yes, even those pidgin flowers.. LOL. I was mistaken. And it's really okay. I'm glad you were straight forward with me from the get go before I took my slippahz (thongs) off.

Best to all.

Aloha Hugs too!

Linkmeister
June 17th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Welcome Izzie!

Huh? Say what? What's wrong with pidgin (or Creole, if you wanna get linquistically honest about it)?

Laj
June 17th, 2004, 08:17 PM
Huuuuui!

Huuuiii! Izzie...no run away! K-den, come back soon!

Mokihana
June 17th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Welcome Izzie!

Gotta agree with Izzie and Linkmeister. Why would I want to forget the first language that I ever learned? It's part of my heritage! To me, that would be like trying to forget and discard part of who I am. I am proud to be kama`ina. I am proud that I was blessed to be born and raised in the most wonderful place in the world. I would no more want to forget that heritage, pidgin and all, than I would want to forget my own name.

Like Izzie, I can speak very proper English. Like Izzie, I now live on the mainland. I am surrounded by people who speak only English (though, I must admit, I have far greater command of the language than a good many of them). I am lonely for the sounds of my native `ina. I am homesick for people with whom I can talk stories in pidgin. I am homesick for people who understand the subtleties of Hawaiian Creole (pidgin). I am homesick for the musical sound of spoken Hawaiian. I am homesick for people who know how to pronounce my name! Unless I am with other displaced locals, I NEVER hear the sound of pidgin, NEVER hear Hawaiian/Japanese/Chinese/Portuguese words. That is why being able to talk full-on pidgin is so important to me when I'm in a forum with other locals. Does it mean I'm uneducated? I think not. I could never have gotten a 3.8 GPA in college if I couldn't speak and/or write good English.

If, without thinking, I say, while teaching a friend to knit, "try put your needle in that puka", I will get a very strange look. And that's hardly full-on pidgin! :) I am careful to speak good English around my friends so that we can communicate in the best way possible. There's no sense talking to them in a language they don't understand. I am trying my best to fit in with a mainland culture that, for the most part, knows very little about Hawai`i and its culture.

I have a friend whose parents are deaf. My friend's first language was Sign Language. Did that mean that she had to give it up when she learned English? Of course not. It's part of her heritage.

adri1456, I respect your right to forget all about pidgin (though I notice that you use the word "stay" in your post, which is very pidgin). I can understand the value of learning and using good English. It's very important in the business world and in the community at large. It's important in today's world to be fluent in English. But I don't believe that means that we have to discard our pidgin heritage. What's wrong with being multi-lingual? To me, there is no shame in talking pidgin. It doesn't diminish who I am as a person. Not being able to talk pidgin would be like having to wear shoes all the time and never get to wear slippers. :D

This is a great website. I like being with other locals. I just hope it won't be like when I was in elementary school and got in trouble for talking pidgin even outside the classroom. The teachers still couldn't stop us, try as they might. Inside the classroom, sure. We all learned to speak good English. But trying to keep us from talking pidgin outside would be like trying to stop a tsunami.

Izzie, Try come back, k? Is maika`i foah spock moah peeps from Alohaworld OhanaLanai ovah dis sai of da island. I get planny pp foah shayah wichu.

K'den. I stay pau foah now. Geev up da pidgin? Nah. Stay paht of me.

admin
June 17th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Most of us stay learning good english or trying to forget the pidgin language.Not true. I'm a born and raised local boy, a product of the public school system... but I'm also someone who looks to people like Izzie to teach me to learn pidgin... to reconnect with a part of my community that I feel I was denied as a kid.

With all due respect, you do not speak for "most" of the members of this community. I hope to let the members of this community dictate its standards, to be sure, but if any one person does so unilaterally, it would be me. And I specifically invited Izzie, Mokihana, and many of the other wonderful people we've been fortunate to welcome to this site to share their stories and their infectious personalities.

English and pidgin can coexist. Many of us here, obviously, are "bilingual" anyway. If I was confident enough to "break out" in pidgin, you bet I would. Until then, I hope I can learn from folks like Izzie. Izzie, I hope you give us another chance.

If there's room here for "padding threads" and silly animated avatars, then there's definitely room for pidgin. There's room for everyone.

lurkah
June 17th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Not true.http://allthingshawaiian.com/lurkah/aw/shakalurkah.gif
Pidgin to da max.
Pidgin to my last dying breath.
Pidgin facilitates communication between different cultures.
Proper English has its place, but it's so boring. :p

helen
June 17th, 2004, 10:44 PM
English and pidgin can coexist. Many of us here, obviously, are "bilingual" anyway. If I was confident enough to "break out" in pidgin, you bet I would. Until then, I hope I can learn from folks like Izzie. Izzie, I hope you give us another chance.
English and pidgin has been coexisting for a really long time in the spoken language arena. It's when Pidgin is being written and probably being read is when the problems occur because to my knowledge there is no standard reference(s) for anyone to use in case of problems in the syntax or spelling of Pidgin words that might crop up.

Mokihana
June 18th, 2004, 05:00 AM
English and pidgin has been coexisting for a really long time in the spoken language arena. It's when Pidgin is being written and probably being read is when the problems occur because to my knowledge there is no standard reference(s) for anyone to use in case of problems in the syntax or spelling of Pidgin words that might crop up.

That's the wonderful thing about pidgin... it's so phonetic that spelling doesn't matter. Lurkah, Izzie and I might all spell words differently, but we never have any pilikia understanding each other.
EX: Izzie spells Bum'bai and I spell it bumbye. And maybe Lurkah would spell it bambai But we have NO trouble understanding one another...

If you want to learn more about pidgin, there are lots of online sources. And the book, "Pidgin to da Max" is awesome.

great site (http://extreme-hawaii.com/pidgin/vocab/)

one noddah one (http://www.e-hawaii.com/fun/pidgin/default.asp)

One beeg shaka foah all u folks who stay reconnecting wit ouah unique, wondahful pidgin heritage! Way to go!

Linkmeister
June 18th, 2004, 08:28 AM
there is no standard reference(s) for anyone to use in case of problems in the syntax or spelling of Pidgin words that might crop up.

Um, try ask?

C'mon folks. I wasn't born and raised here (hell, I didn't get here till I was 28), but my sister went all through school here and I picked up a little pidgin, and I can guess at meanings pretty well. If I can't, I'll decide whether it's important enough to ask, or just let it go on by.

Besides, no dialect I've ever run into has a standard spelling, as far as I know. And transcribing a dialect into written language is really hard; I'm always impressed with the folks who can do it fairly faithfully.

As Pogo said a long time ago, "to each his dagnab own."

DaFerret
June 18th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Hey, wassup Izzie, nice to see another newbie! :P

Oh and... "No an'den!" :P

-If no one gets it, slap me upside the head and use a free rental for Dude Where's My Car-

Although it's a bit challenging for me to read, I don't mind the pidgin much. I may not get through the post as fast as one written in boring strict English, but it does show personality. Write as you like as long as it's not smohtineg lkie tihs, baescue it hrtus lkie hcek. :)

oH aNd sTiCky CaPs dEsErVeS sLaPs. :mad:

Izzie
June 18th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Huuuiii! Izzie...no run away! K-den, come back soon!

Eh.. How can I "run away" wen get so much Aloha ova' hea? Aloha is like one magnet... buggah SUCK us back like one unda'toe at Waimea bay on one big day! Of course I coming back like how flies keep flying back to....... uh.... Well, like bees flying back to da flowers!

Mahalo for your wonderful, aloha filled responses. Now I can take off my slippahz and check out what you guys stay get on da stove in all da different pots. But first, I going write my name on my slippahs jahs in case one of you thinking about KakaRoaching 'um.

http://izzie4aloha.com/images/iz/izzienani.jpg

Glen Miyashiro
June 18th, 2004, 08:47 AM
http://allthingshawaiian.com/lurkah/aw/shakalurkah.gif
Pidgin to da max.
Pidgin to my last dying breath.
Pidgin facilitates communication between different cultures.
Proper English has its place, but it's so boring. :p
Brah, das one awesome GIF. You can make um lillo bit smaller, though?

Izzie
June 18th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Hey, wassup Izzie, nice to see another newbie! :P

Write as you like as long as it's not smohtineg lkie tihs, baescue it hrtus lkie hcek. :)

oH aNd sTiCky CaPs dEsErVeS sLaPs. :mad:

No wrroy, I not giong be taht insnensitvie!

But you know what? Mr. Ferret?

I get one of those!

Try Look

http://izzie4aloha.com/images/iz/ferret01.gif

Dis our baby.. her name is Niele!

Kewt yeah?

So, das what you look like in person?

*hee hee*

NeeHo
June 18th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Alohas everbody!
I just wanted for tell everybody Hi, and for add my 1 1/2 cents in ( i used to have 2 cents, but loss 1/2 somewhere along da way :D ) Anyways here what I like say Like everyone else when I was growing up I was not allowed for speak pidgin. If I did sometimes I got da slippah, and sometimes I got my mouth washed out with soap. A lot of times I got both! My mom is was a school teacher, and she never stopped telling us kids to always speak perfect english, cause that's the only way you will get ahead. So I grew up speaking for the most part standard english. I have been away from Hawaii for close to 20 yrs now, and I never really missed home. I would go back for visit every 3-4 yrs, and visit with family and friends but it was never really a big deal for me. Then one day about three years ago I woke up with the worst case of homesickness. A friend of mine whom I've known sice my Hanabuttah days also lives her in San Diego was feeling the homesickness too ( he's one haole boy, but as local as can be!)Since then he and I have been on a search for people and things connected to da Aina for ease with the homesickness. Then recently I happend upon Alohaworld and da Lanai (Excuse yeah cause what I'm going to say can be fully expressed in pidgin) Ho afta the introductions on da lanai da homesickness one melt away like you would not believe Da Aloha that I one get was awesome! If you guys get chance you should read da post dat Mokihana one write about the 10th island of Hawaii. I had finally found one place where people of like Minds came together for talk stories and support each other. It really helped with the homesickness. And da Pidgin was a big part of it. Everyday now I go home laughing. Da homesickness is still there, but now it is eased by the awesome people I have gotten to know. When this site was introduced to us, I one go check em out, and I was hesitate for join, cause all you guys in hea was talking only in perfect english I didn't know if I would be welcome. But then I one read this thread, and had for say something. To me talking in pidgin represents more of a state of mind and a way of life then just a form of language Kinda like what Aloha is supposed to mean. I am a single parent, and I miss the since of Ohana that I grew up with back in the aina that I don't see here on the mainland. So I teach my son pidgin along with english so that when we go back to visit family and friends he has stronger connection to the islands that I miss so much. Ok den I pau for now. But I like say Hui Aunty Izzie come back inside hea for talk stories with the ohana inside hea! going be only good fun I promise! Besides Lurkah stay inside here too, and you know how kolohe dat bugga is If you no come back who going be around for dicipline him with da slipph when he act up!? :D Besides I think would be fun for add some dimension to dis lanai

Izzie
June 18th, 2004, 09:22 AM
But I like say Hui Aunty Izzie come back inside

hea for talk stories with the ohana inside hea!

Ho, wha'chu talking about? I neva even leave, and den!

Try look my post befo' yours onez...

What? You lagging? Stay on Hawaiian time?

*hee hee*

http://izzie4aloha.com/images/iz/izzie-tutu.jpg

Linkmeister
June 18th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Now that that's hopefully cleared up...Izzie, if you're near Atlanta, you must have awful tales of traffic congestion! :D

DaFerret
June 18th, 2004, 10:03 AM
No wrroy, I not giong be taht insnensitvie!

But you know what? Mr. Ferret?

I get one of those!

Try Look

http://izzie4aloha.com/images/iz/ferret01.gif

Dis our baby.. her name is Niele!

Kewt yeah?

So, das what you look like in person?

*hee hee*

I'm not so cute as that buggah (pix by my name, up there *points up*), but I get one mean squeak. :D I've always wanted a ferret, but I don't know if I could keep up and cater to its needs. :(

NeeHo
June 18th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Ho, wha'chu talking about? I neva even leave, and den!

Try look my post befo' yours onez...

What? You lagging? Stay on Hawaiian time?

*hee hee*

http://izzie4aloha.com/images/iz/izzie-tutu.jpg

You must have been posting around same time I was. Was only after I one post this I one go back to our lanai an read everything. As for lagging I stay guilty. As for being on Hawaiian time, Wot get other kine time too? :D

LikaNui
June 18th, 2004, 11:11 AM
In fact, having graduated with a Th.D

I'm curious about something, and please don't take this as a flame, but if you really have a Doctorate of Theology I have to wonder about the unusual number of misspellings in your post:
" disturbes " (disturbs)
" accepting all man kind " (mankind)
" a dieing child in my arms " (dying)
" she stepped on a land mind. " (mine)
" get caught up the etiquettes of speach. " (speech)
" the Untited States of America " (United)
" even those from Lousiana " (Louisiana)
" mode of speach " (speech, again)
" didn't mean to bust another eggshell. " (burst; or was it arrested? <g>)
" just being straight forward " (straightforward)
" that let's me out " (lets; otherwise would be "that let us me out")
" had the privilage " (privilege)
12 misspellings from someone who supposedly earned a doctorate just makes me wonder, that's all.
In any case, I really enjoy the pidgin posts here! Those few who don't like them don't have to read them.

admin
June 18th, 2004, 12:02 PM
It is a flame, if a toothless one. Pointing out someone's spelling mistakes is among the most pointless exercises in any community, one that's well documented (http://www.google.com/search?q=spelling+flames) and is absolutely discouraged. A friendly correction is one thing. A point-by-point inventory of errors is uncool.

This has definitely been the most colorful thread we've had yet. Thanks to those working to keep it friendly and light.

NeeHo
June 18th, 2004, 12:18 PM
This has definitely been the most colorful thread we've had yet. Thanks to those working to keep it friendly and light.

Hui dat's what going happen when you let kolohe peeps like us from da AlohaWorld Lanai come inside and talks stories wit you. Us guys only like have good fun, and even when we beef, it all stay only in da spirit of good fun! I like thank da peeps in here, cause now I stay little bit closer to da aina even though I stay live far away. Oh and by the way I think you guys aint seen nothing yet. :D :D

lurkah
June 18th, 2004, 01:26 PM
http://allthingshawaiian.com/lurkah/aw/shakalurkah.gif
Brah, das one awesome GIF. You can make um lillo bit smaller, though?Hah? Why? Boddah you? http://ohanalanai.com/lanai/images/smilies/sticktongue.gif

Nah nah nah nah nah cool yo jets brah.:p

Howzit Glen. You fo real o wat? Why you like me make my GIF mo small? Da buggah taking up too much space ontop your screen? If I make um mo small den my name Lurkah going come all distorted anden my piko (belly button) going disappeeyah too, not to menshen all da lint I been saving insai dat buggah too. Anden I wen notice dat you nevah say not ting about da size of Izzie's HUGE lolo GIF:

http://izzie4aloha.com/images/iz/izzienani.jpg

...which might lead me to believe dat you stay oni picking on ME because you like Izzie more den me. I hope dass not true, brah. Bumbai I going hafto tell you fo meet me aftah school behind da band building fo trow blows. Eh by da way Glen, you stay related to Mits Funai, yeah? Next time you see Mits go tell heem dat Fate Yanagi stay all in love wit me. Anden if you two guys get any problems wit dat you can come check me out behind da band building.:D

Love & Aloha,
http://allthingshawaiian.com/lurkah/smileys/smileylurkahnunchuks.gif

Izzie
June 18th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Now that that's hopefully cleared up...Izzie, if you're near Atlanta, you must have awful tales of traffic congestion! :D

Oooo yeah, no? Had to turn on da fan and blow it out of the way.

;)

Traffic in Atlanta really not too bad. Not as bad as Los Angeles, or New York.

Now, THAT is bad! If no'mo accidents, not too bad during rush hour. Can count

on maybe anywhere from 30 - 60 min delay. Seldom do I get caught in the

"pull hair" Stop & GO traffic. THAT is the one you just like park on

the side and say.... "Fo'get dis, Gimme one donkey already!"

Eh, but you know. I was raised Kaneohe side and growing up, neva have dat much

traffic. Ho, but now, wow! Is pretty bad if you ask me. Trying to drive from

Kahaluu side to get to da Wilson in the morning traffic would test anyone's

patience, yeah?

For the most part. I think traffic is here to stay. It's everywhere. Maybe

one day we going have something like a transporter, or teleport. Beam

me up, down, sideways! Oooo, if das da case, I come meet you guys

fo' eat L&L's. Now, DAT's one uddah story, yeah!

:D

Izzie
June 18th, 2004, 01:59 PM
I'm curious about something, and please don't take this as a flame, but if you really have a Doctorate of Theology I have to wonder about the unusual number of misspellings in your post:
12 misspellings from someone who supposedly earned a doctorate just makes me wonder, that's all.
In any case, I really enjoy the pidgin posts here! Those few who don't like them don't have to read them.:p
Eh wow.. you pretty shahp fo' catch alla misssspellings, li'dat. Maybe YOU da one get da Doctahrate. Shaka fo' you!

But lemme point something I wen try make clear in my original post... I wen post:

"It really showed me that life is so dang precious to get caught up with the etiquettes of speach."

I should have included... "and spelling".

Eh, sorry eh if dat wen boddah you. But I been through so dang much, saw so much pain in dis world, and I trying fo help as much people now, things like picking out the ukus from one starving person no interest me as much as GETTING FOOD TO THAT PERSON so he might live. You know what I mean.

So, take it all with a grain of salt. Whether I spell or missssssspell.. dis is me. Jahs me. And you can accept me, or not. Really not going maddah to no one but you, yeah?

I no can help but like you. Jahs cause you willing to post. I admire that in anyone. Whether you like find fault in people, or just be an encourager of mankind. Eiddah way, I no can help but give you one big hug...

Hope dat wen give you da answah you stay looking fo. Maybe not what you like hear, but eh.. I so thankful I get one Th.D cause by that I wen learn dat I no HAVE TO BE PERFECT and act like I one DOCTOR oa' something. Jahs cause I get one degreeeeee, I no expect you or anyone else call me DOCTAH! Heck no... You jahs go on calling me whatever you like call me.. whether you believe I'm a girl or a guy, kid or adult... mahu or straight. I'm still jahs lil' ole me.... minus da beeg chi chi!

;)

Izzie
June 18th, 2004, 02:09 PM
I'm not so cute as that buggah (pix by my name, up there *points up*), but I get one mean squeak. :D I've always wanted a ferret, but I don't know if I could keep up and cater to its needs. :(

OH eh...

I should have known dat was you in that pic up dea *pointing to'yum too*.

Kewt you! I like PINCH dat cheek you stay pointing at da camera!

I bet'chu das da image you was trying, fo', yeah? Trying to make like one of

those kewtie patootie keeds you jahs no can help but pinch da cheek.

Seriously... I don't think my ohana ever going be without one ferret. They sleep

for about 18 hours a day, so not like you have to baby sit the animal. And when they

are awake.. ho.. dem buggahs LOVE to PLAY!!! It depends where you're living.

Some states do not allow them as pets. But I do know that in those states

there still are ferret owners. They just "sneak". No can resist!

Ferret Huggies 2U

LikaNui
June 18th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Shaka fo' you!

Shaka right back atcha! I was just curious; didn't mean to upset anyone. Welcome to the forum, cuz, and keep on posting!
:)

Izzie
June 18th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Hah? Why? Boddah you? http://ohanalanai.com/lanai/images/smilies/sticktongue.gif

Anden I wen notice dat you nevah say not ting about da size of Izzie's HUGE lolo GIF:

.......you like Izzie more den me.

Why? Boddah YOU??

You jealous az why.

:p

lurkah
June 18th, 2004, 03:46 PM
I'm not so cute as that buggah, but I get one mean squeak.
Brah, time fo buy biggah bebadees.http://allthingshawaiian.com/lurkah/smileys/smileyhowzit.gif

aleno
June 18th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Aloha,

I stay laughing right now while I stay write this.

Mahalo fo talkin' pigin 'cause I stay away from Hawaii too and jus' reading the thread make me think " oh wow ", stay remind me of growing up in Hawaii. I maybe slow in figurine out the meanings but stay come back now and I stay laugh so hard.
Welcome to all the ohana from the lanai.
Lurkah.....braddah....you stay collect the wrong kind lint...how u goin' grow the taro...LOL Mo' bettah you pull down yo shirt already.

Shaka,
Aleno

Izzie
June 18th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Aloha,

I stay laughing right now while I stay write this.
Lurkah.....braddah....you stay collect the wrong kind lint...how u goin' grow the taro...LOL Mo' bettah you pull down yo shirt already.

Shaka,
Aleno
Mahalo nui fo' mentioning dat cause we keep telling him da very same thing! He no listen to us, dat guy *shakes head*. Maybe now wen YOU said something about it, he going listen and save us from eye damage having to look at his lint filled piko in da middo of his swollen opu!

Mahalo also fo' mentioning dat. Going save us from having to buy ointment fo' da stah eye!

Aloha Hugz to U Aleno! I stay laffing too.. Oni good fun, yeah!?

DaFerret
June 18th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Brah, time fo buy biggah bebadees.http://allthingshawaiian.com/lurkah/smileys/smileyhowzit.gif

Eh, my bebadees fit just fine, boo. They don't call 'em tighty whiteys for nuthin'. buwahahaha! :D

Izzie: Yah... I'm pinchable... Ok, that was corny. Anyway, I had some links about caring for ferrets and stuff, have to find them again, but I dunno. Ferrets are cool, but I don't think Hawaii allows them. :confused:

I'll just be my own ferret pet... get me a costume and run around Waikiki all mental... *shifty eyes*

Mocha
June 19th, 2004, 12:21 AM
You guys are just too good! I'm smiling all the way...it does a person good to hear pidgin at times...and to hear it lahdat... :D . It's hard for me to spell in pidgin...I really have to tink and if I can stay sayum den mo easy fo me den to stay writeum. :eek:

Mocha
June 19th, 2004, 12:22 AM
PS: Da pitchas stay nice too :)

lurkah
June 19th, 2004, 01:26 AM
Maybe now wen YOU said something about it, he going listen and save us from eye damage having to look at his lint filled piko in da middo of his swollen opu!
http://allthingshawaiian.com/lurkah/aw/lurkahkanak.gif
Why, boddah you too?
Mo bettah leave my piko alone bumbai
I might bring up da subjeck about futs, which I
know I don't hafto remind you is right up your alley.http://allthingshawaiian.com/lurkah/smileys/smileyyuck.gif

lurkah
June 19th, 2004, 01:35 AM
Eh, my bebadees fit just fine, boo.
They don't call 'em tighty whiteys for nuthin'. buwahahaha! :D
Boo, as long as you can keep um tighty whiteys, ereting is cool.http://ohanalanai.com/lanai/images/smilies/snicker.gif
But once dey become tobacco stainies, it's all ovah.http://ohanalanai.com/lanai/images/smilies/pity.gif

Leimamo
June 19th, 2004, 06:52 AM
You guys are just too good! I'm smiling all the way...it does a person good to hear pidgin at times...and to hear it lahdat... :D . It's hard for me to spell in pidgin...I really have to tink and if I can stay sayum den mo easy fo me den to stay writeum. :eek:
I stay having the same problem writing em too.

Welcome to the boards, I was cracking up reading about the piko lint and futs. Remind me of all the braddahs and titas back home. ;)

Linkmeister
June 19th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Like I said earlier, writing dialect is really hard. Even if you hear it in your head, translating to the written word and remaining understandable to the reader...good work, all of you folks. ;)

aleno
June 19th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Aiya u guys,

I no it's hard to write whats in yo head but u gotta let loose and let it flow, I doin' da best wit what's in my head. Like the tittle An' Den....just write what yo head says and no worry bout da speeling 'cause we all goin know what u meant....hahahaha.

All fo fun....dat's right Izzie.

Lurkah....no baddah but u know....my maddah sais....if grown properly in the piko (taro) it will supply the population, but if grown in the ear (pepe au) then they no can hea, no wonda hawaii get shortage of POI!!!!!!

Hahahahaha,
Aleno

Mokihana
June 19th, 2004, 01:42 PM
hahahahaha!! Good fun dat~! :)

lurkah
June 19th, 2004, 02:40 PM
no wonda hawaii get shortage of POI!!!!!!
Eh aleno. You like poi? http://ohanalanai.com/lanai/images/smilies/worried.gif

I get some if you like. http://ohanalanai.com/lanai/images/smilies/brow-lift.gif

But you need to be very delicate when you...

http://allthingshawaiian.com/lurkah/aw/lurkahsqueezepoi.gif
...handle my bag...

http://allthingshawaiian.com/lurkah/smileys/smileyhowzit.gif

Mokihana
June 19th, 2004, 03:41 PM

I get some if you like. http://ohanalanai.com/lanai/images/smilies/brow-lift.gif

...handle my bag...

:eek: :eek: ai yah!

aleno
June 19th, 2004, 04:44 PM

http://allthingshawaiian.com/lurkah/aw/lurkahsqueezepoi.gif
...handle my bag...

Oh braddah,

I like the poi but try take the poi outta the bag an put em in one calabash 'cause I no can guarentee I goin' be gentle with the bag...hahahaha.
You know how when you trying to squeeze the last drop from the bag...hahahahaha.

Izzie
June 19th, 2004, 10:00 PM
....my maddah sais....if grown properly in the piko (taro) it will supply the population, but if grown in the ear (pepe au) then they no can hea, no wonda hawaii get shortage of POI!!!!!!

Hahahahaha,

Aleno

You know why? Dey have to learn how fo' shut da pepe au OFF and ON, so

dey can grow poi or not. Have to have some control. Your maddah is so

akamai, yeah?

;)

Now all we have to do is figa out one way to do dat:

http://izzie4aloha.com/images/aw/waxing.gif

:confused:

Izzie
June 19th, 2004, 10:13 PM
Eh, my bebadees fit just fine, boo. They don't call 'em tighty whiteys for nuthin'. buwahahaha! :D

Izzie: Yah... I'm pinchable... Ok, that was corny. Anyway, I had some links about caring for ferrets and stuff, have to find them again, but I dunno. Ferrets are cool, but I don't think Hawaii allows them. :confused:

I'll just be my own ferret pet... get me a costume and run around Waikiki all mental... *shifty eyes*

Ahahaha! Not corny, bruddah! Maybe lito bit peas wit side ordah carrots,

but neva, eva corny. Jahs so you know.. and dis not one "Flirty" kind

remark... Heaven knows I too old fo' dat.. but I would pinch doze cheeks

of yoahz any day. So.. Jahs lemme know when you like...

...TURN AROUND

http://izzie4aloha.com/images/aw/touchdown.gif

http://ohanalanai.com/lanai/images/smilies/brow-lift.gif

Izzie
June 19th, 2004, 10:31 PM

Da bess paht about it, Mocha, is dat it is GOOD FUN. I no have to tell you

dat every day life can be really stressful, yeah? no? But, I stay so thankful

for humor. Wit'out a good laff... auwe! We going pau hana with life too

early wit so much stress and no release.

http://ohanalanai.com/lanai/images/smilies/worried.gif

Some people have to take medication 'cause dey fo'get how fo laff! I'm

very serious wen I say dat. I used to be so "up-tight" and "full of it" dat

all dat mattered was WORK and WORK and even moa' WORK. DAT wen almost

make me pupule! I would have survived it beddah if oni I wen remembah to

LAUGH lito bit along da way.

I get a kick wen people laff too. Das jahs like dem stay sharing one

gift wit me. I no take it fo' granted. I receive it very gratefully, because

not everyone can give da gift of laughtah. Mo' easy fo' dem to pick on

you and try make you feel worthless, so dey feel beddah about demselves

raddah den, give Aloha and laughtah.

:)

So, eh.. we go have fun. At least in dis thread. Try tess out yowah

pidgin. Weddah you crack jokes, or, crack futz,

garrens going crack smiles,

yeah?

http://ohanalanai.com/lanai/images/smilies/luv.gif

Izzie
June 19th, 2004, 10:41 PM
I stay having the same problem writing em too.

Welcome to the boards, I was cracking up reading about the piko lint and futs. Remind me of all the braddahs and titas back home. ;)

http://ohanalanai.com/lanai/images/smilies/stubborn.gif

Believe me! That is ONE subject you don't want to get bruddah Lurkah

started on. Where we come from we already posted up a

sign to state our Message Board Law...

http://izzie4aloha.com/images/aw/nofutting.gif

But, sad to say... He does NOT HEED!

http://ohanalanai.com/lanai/images/smilies/pity.gif

Hopefully, it'll not happen here.

Izzie
June 19th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Boo, as long as you can keep um tighty whiteys, ereting is cool.http://ohanalanai.com/lanai/images/smilies/snicker.gifBut once dey become tobacco stainies, it's all ovah.http://ohanalanai.com/lanai/images/smilies/pity.gif

YUP.. Listen to dis guy...

He one EXPERT on da subject.

Got all his wisdom from true life experiences!

http://ohanalanai.com/lanai/images/smilies/wiped.gif

Izzie
June 19th, 2004, 11:01 PM
You know how when you trying to squeeze the last drop from the bag...hahahahaha.

http://izzie4aloha.com/images/aw/ani-mouthlaugh.gif

Yeah, but everytime I do dat.. I hea screams!

I muss be doing something wrong.

http://ohanalanai.com/lanai/images/smilies/nahuah.gif

Or, maybe...

I doing'um jahs right, yeah?

lurkah
June 19th, 2004, 11:20 PM
Yeah, but everytime I do dat.. I hea screams!
I muss be doing something wrong.
Or, maybe...
I doing'um jahs right, yeah?http://allthingshawaiian.com/lurkah/smileys/smileyscratchinghead.gif
Hah??
Now wat da heck she talking about??

Izzie
June 20th, 2004, 11:03 AM
http://allthingshawaiian.com/lurkah/smileys/smileyscratchinghead.gif

Hah??

Now wat da heck she talking about??

Eh... There you go, Picking da ukus from yo'ah head again!

I stay talking 'bout POI! You not following?

I talking about da SAME TEENG you talking about, and den.

lurkah
June 20th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Believe me! That is ONE subject you don't want to get bruddah Lurkah started on.

http://izzie4aloha.com/images/aw/nofutting.gif

Hopefully, it'll not happen here.
Believe me, it's not my amazing powers of restraint dat has kept me from posting some choice futs fo shayah wit you folks on dis message board. It seems dat in his infinite wisdom, da Admin buggah ovah heeyah wen go do his research ovah on da Ohana Lanai and in anticipation of my possible arrival at HawaiiThreads.com, da sneaky buggah wen go disable da HTML codes dat would allow me to fut at will and on demand. What a poopie party pooper.http://ohanalanai.com/lanai/images/smilies/pity.gif

Futting is healthy! Futting is funny! Futting is hilarious!

Why is dat? http://allthingshawaiian.com/lurkah/smileys/smileyshrug.gif

Jes' press (http://allthingshawaiian.com/lurkah/sounds/lurkahs-fut.wav) http://allthingshawaiian.com/lurkah/smileys/smileyhowzit.gif

Mokihana
June 20th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Believe me, it's not my amazing powers of restraint dat has kept me from posting some choice futs fo shayah wit you folks on dis message board. It seems dat in his infinite wisdom, da Admin buggah ovah heeyah wen go do his research ovah on da Ohana Lanai and in anticipation of my possible arrival at HawaiiThreads.com, da sneaky buggah wen go disable da HTML codes dat would allow me to fut at will and on demand. ]

Oh, mahalo nui to da maxiest evah, oh wise admin buggah. At least get ONE place weah I no gotta lissen to all dat @#$#$ !! :) :)

Mocha
June 20th, 2004, 10:35 PM
What a perfect way to end Dad's day! I clicked on the press heah button...the buggahs was very stink! :D

lurkah
June 21st, 2004, 03:25 AM
What a perfect way to end Dad's day! I clicked on the press heah button...the buggahs was very stink! :Dhttp://allthingshawaiian.com/lurkah/smileys/smileyboogiers.gif

NeeHo
June 21st, 2004, 12:01 PM
See what I told you guys you go let kolohe buggas like us inside hea and da pilikia stay starting! :D ho now all of us going only have good kine fun wit each other! :D Of course you going see that I never make any kine mischief
cause I one angel! (no woories about da liitle horns, they just for decoration) :D

Mocha
June 21st, 2004, 11:36 PM
:D :D ;) :p ! The animations are just wonderful!!!

Mokihana
June 22nd, 2004, 05:23 AM
Of course you going see that I never make any kine mischief
cause I one angel!

Eh. I get one bridge in Arizona... u like buyum???? :eek:

NeeHo
June 22nd, 2004, 05:50 AM
Eh. I get one bridge in Arizona... u like buyum???? :eek:

;) Sure! But only can afford for pay One dollar three eighty for em! :D

Mokihana
June 22nd, 2004, 06:15 AM
;) Sure! But only can afford for pay One dollar three eighty for em! :D

Nemmine den. :D :D

kukui_nut
June 24th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Oi.
Dis da pidgin post-whoring thread??

Ooo. I like play, den... :)

So wat gotta do? :confused:

Mocha
June 24th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Jus gotta keepum goin...and den wen day stay pau...den pau! :p

lurkah
June 24th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Dis da pidgin post-whoring thread??
http://allthingshawaiian.com/lurkah/smileys/smileyscratchinghead.gif
Brah. Try splain to me what pidgin post-whoring means.
I oni went public school, and when I did go,
I usually nevah stay all day.http://allthingshawaiian.com/lurkah/smileys/smileyshrug.gif

Mokihana
June 24th, 2004, 08:44 PM
eh, try 'splain to me too please. Cuz adunno eedah.

kukui_nut
June 25th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Brah. Try splain to me what pidgin post-whoring means...

Da pidgin part is obvious...
Post-whoring: "wea you can post like stay going out of style and no really mattah what da subjek an all dat and plus may give da admin or mod guys rash (I know DAT one..) but sometimes da stuff is really funny and good stress relief if anything so I alwayz tink its one good idea fo' have dat like someplace in any forum but my opinion usually no mattah especially in my household but I no like go there so getting back to where I wuz which I fo' get already oh yeah being able to post like whateva wheneva whoeva whicheva me I tink its all good cuz I one incurable (no can cure) post-whore"

*breathes*

Kukui

Izzie
June 25th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Post-whoring: ... being able to post like whateva wheneva whoeva whicheva me I tink its all good cuz I one incurable (no can cure) post-whore"

*breathes*

Kukui

WOW!

http://ohanalanai.com/lanai/images/smilies/shocked.gif

You muss have da same teeng we have den!

Post-whore syndrome (PWS)

As opposed to PMS

Mokihana
June 25th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Post-whoring: "wea you can post like stay going out of style and no really mattah what da subjek an all dat and plus may give da admin or mod guys rash (I know DAT one..) but sometimes da stuff is really funny and good stress relief if anything so I alwayz tink its one good idea fo' have dat like someplace in any forum but my opinion usually no mattah especially in my household but I no like go there so getting back to where I wuz which I fo' get already oh yeah being able to post like whateva wheneva whoeva whicheva me I tink its all good cuz I one incurable (no can cure) post-whore"

*breathes*

Kukui

oh!! Sound da same like Portagee den! :D :D :D

lurkah
June 25th, 2004, 09:54 PM

*breathes*

Kukui
Wow brah. :eek: Can tell you eedah went Punahou or Iolani School. You even sound like one attorney too. :p So to ansah yowah original question, YES dis is da thread for pidgin post-whoring!! Let da whoring begin!!:D

makepagirl
July 26th, 2004, 02:21 PM
be proud that you know pidgin..when we moved to georgia as 4 & 6 yr olds in the early 70's,no one understood us..in this area you were either white or black..nothing else..pops is hawaiian,filipino&chinese..mom is german &cherokee indian..all the teachers laughed at us.thought we were slow,cause we talked pidgin...and cause we took our shoes off @the door...so it was very very hard to learn because we were "different"..even our haole family were the same..i now have a beautiful 21 yr old son who i had very young.but i taught him to stand up for himself..hold your chin up &never forgot..we are hawaiian..no one can take our heritage...so keep it!!! much peace to all.........

Mokihana
July 26th, 2004, 02:42 PM
great post! I todally agree wichu.

Nohealani
November 9th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Izzie...I totally agree with you, we as the people of Hawai'i as well as other indigenous cultures worldwide have endured much for the sake of westernization...yet there is still hope that burns within us, and what was once deemed "forbidden" is now being revived...the language and culture is being taught to our children and a cultural renaissance is taking place. I have travelled to many places and seen what there was to see and what I brought back with me is an unwaivering love for my family, my people, and my Hawaiian heritage. We as individuals choose how we intend to live our lives, and miniscule things like "SPEAK ENGLISH, NOT PIDGIN!" do not matter...life is about adapting to change...yes that's true but it is also about knowing who you are and being comfortable just as you are, even speaking pidgin.

Aloha Nui,
Nohealani :)

Mokihana
November 9th, 2004, 02:41 PM
good post! Mahalo!

Nohealani
November 9th, 2004, 02:49 PM
good post! Mahalo!

Thank you...like mah grandpa always taught me...live and learn das da only way to go! My sentiments exactly...LOL

memorylane
November 20th, 2004, 05:45 PM
What a pity. I'm terribly sorry if I offended anyone for just being "me". I'm a fun loving person, but if it means that my having fun disturbes anyone, I'm truly sorry.

Speaking in pidgin is part of my heritage and I'm VERY proud of it. In fact, having graduated with a Th.D and certified to go on various mission trips to war stricken countries really taught me that people and nations should be proud of their heritage. I've since learn that being humble, accepting all man kind no matter what creed, color or language they speak is part of loving unconditionally.

I think it was when I was holding a dieing child in my arms having half of her blown away when she stepped on a land mind. Her mother was near us weeping while on her knees. It really showed me that life is so dang precious to get caught up the etiquettes of speach. By the way, that nation of people were fighting for their culture, traditions and language. They believed in themselves as a nation that they were willing to DIE to KEEP what they had. At that moment... my eyes were opened.

I learned then that I wanted to KEEP my heritage, customs and culture even though I now reside in the heartland of the Untited States of America where people are dang proud to be speaking in their western, eastern and southern accents. Yes, even those from Lousiana with their "Pidgin" French Creole, are proud to be speaking according to their culture. When I open my mouth and "proudly" spurt out my Hawaiian Creole, heads turn, and people ask me to TEACH them words and slangs. Then they pick it up and I pick up their accents as well. Oh how wonderful to have the LIBERTY to do such a thing. To communicate without having to put on a FRONT.. trying to be someone I'm not.

Don't get me wrong, I can speak "proper" English. Been a public speaker in So. California for over 20 years, and then in Georgia. And yes, even in Hawai'i too. I speak proper English professionally for communication sake, and not to try to prove anything else than that. Heck, I don't have to.

Speaking for myself, it doesn't matter what color, creed, religion, or mode of speach a person uses to communicate with. Whether it be a different language, English with an accent, or a Creole like the Hawaiian Pidgin.. heck, I accept them all, unconditionally. And I would feel terrible if I knew it was offensive to anyone, as I do right now.

Well, I do sincerely thank you for the "tip". As I bow out, I wish all of you who are trying to "forget" how to speak Pidgin and who are striving to learn "good English" much success with it. Again, I'm sorry if I offended ANYONE here, believe me.. it was NOT my intent.

Malama pono... oops.. If writing in Hawaiian is offensive here also, forgive me once again. Really didn't mean to bust another eggshell.

I'm NOT being sarcastic here, just being straight forward about how I view life. This is why I can respect you all, well as you said, "most of you" who wishes to keep this place pidgin free. Well, that let's me out *LOL*, for you see, I'm living on the mainland, for many years, in fact. With ENGLISH people surrounding me all the time.. and truth is... I MISS being able to "feel at home". I thought I could do that here with people who actually had the privilage of living on the island I once grew up on. To enjoy her "flowers" again. Yes, even those pidgin flowers.. LOL. I was mistaken. And it's really okay. I'm glad you were straight forward with me from the get go before I took my slippahz (thongs) off.

Best to all.

Aloha Hugs too!

The heck wit dat! I just spent five days on Oahu and didnt hear ANY pidgin!!! I looked forward to hearing some after waiting 23 YEARS to get back!!! Also, was bummed to not get to hear my buddy GECKO noises, luv them little clickers!
Cannot believe locals wanna experience 4 seasons and such like as the lady we turned the car rental in said. Maybe we should start a thread where people could set of a timeshare sort of arrangement, lmbo........I live in Oklahoma and would be damn glad to hang on Oahu for about a year! Anyone wanna trade!!!???? :D

1stwahine
December 27th, 2004, 06:45 PM
:D Maika'i all! I wen find dis tread by accident...neva misses e da I learn sumthing,cry, or laugh till I like sheshe! Wanted to copy sum of da hilarious pics but dum old computa neva like me take um. ai yah, gottum as a gift from Robtert Caz...hope he no check out dis thread, then again sumbody hea might squeal.

dis is an old thread but da subject is interesting and it shows dat da people hea is really like one big OHANA...so das why I posting to keep it alive! Eh, da one live in Oklahoma, you like come live at MWH for six months...I no mind the change of scene and sounds...please,please,give me a break from the sole and micro dots. Plus got one moa stabbing da oda night! Auwe!Pidgin...it's in all of us. We can turn it off and on when we want too. Well, those of us who can use the computer! JOKE,JOKE NO GET MAD NOW!

Haouli Makahiki Hou 2005!

lawyamike
December 29th, 2004, 07:56 AM
Goodness gracious: can we please avert another don't-speak-pidgin thread here? In full disclosure, I am an attorney practicing in Washington D.C. who has never spoken pidgin in my entire life. While it takes me a bit longer to read and grok a post in pidgin, it's not unwelcome and it's not impossible to understand. The back and forth about whether it is proper to speak pidgin on the threads is just so tiresome, isn't it?

Personally, I come here for the Aloha, the local news, local flavor, etc. It helps me daydream back to when I lived in Hawaii, get some escape from all the arguments I work with every day. So, as a favor for me, can we just settle that it's a-okay to post in pidgin on here, and that people who do not like to read pidgin will just scroll past posts written in pidgin? Mahalo.

1stwahine
December 29th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Aloha! & HAOULI MAKAHIKI HOU! Welcome to the boards, LayaMike!

admin
December 29th, 2004, 10:45 AM
This is an old thread. Only one user, back in June, mentioned an aversion to pidgin. As you can see from the very extensive conversation that followed, pidgin has quite a bit of support here. And if you need it again from the horse's mouth, pidgin is welcome here (or should I say "hea"?). `A`ole pilikia, hakuna matata, it's all good!

Mokihana
December 29th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Goodness gracious: can we please avert another don't-speak-pidgin thread here?

Why would you want to avert the discussion? I think it's a great one. I personally think it's important to air our feelings about it. As a kamaāina who was forbidden to talk pidgin or speak/learn Hawaiian in school, I find it refreshing to be able to say how I feel about that now.

If we avert this discussion, then we miss being able to share with one another how we have been affected by the westernization of our āina. We would miss great posts like this:

we as the people of Hawai'i as well as other indigenous cultures worldwide have endured much for the sake of westernization...yet there is still hope that burns within us, and what was once deemed "forbidden" is now being revived...the language and culture is being taught to our children and a cultural renaissance is taking place

or this:

I learned then that I wanted to KEEP my heritage, customs and culture even though I now reside in the heartland of the Untited States of America where people are dang proud to be speaking in their western, eastern and southern accents.

The more we talk about it, the more chance we have to understand one another, to get to know one another, to share this wonderful heritage that we all have in common.

K'den. I stay pau.

lawyamike
December 29th, 2004, 04:55 PM
I guess it's just that I don't think those passages you quoted are at all disputable. For me -- even as somebody who only shares any sort of "wonderful heritage" involving pidgin by marriage (if at all) -- I expect to encounter pidgin when I am surrounded by local folks. If this were Parisian Threads, I would be surprised if somebody complained about people speaking French. It seems like there have been a few arguments here (or maybe I have it confused with someplace else?) about whether pidgin is appropriate, and those arguuments always struck me as silly.

It's not that statements of pride, etc. are not pleasant or appropriate; I just thought that the argument that elicited them was unnecessary. I'm done. I'll post a proper introduction somewhere else on the site, now that I've already gotten involved.

1stwahine
December 29th, 2004, 05:18 PM
There's no need to post a proper introduction somewhere else, you're one of us already...I'm the unofficial welcoming person, yeah, right! Anyways, once again, welcome LayaMike!

Miulang
December 29th, 2004, 05:22 PM
I guess it's just that I don't think those passages you quoted are at all disputable. For me -- even as somebody who only shares any sort of "wonderful heritage" involving pidgin by marriage (if at all) -- I expect to encounter pidgin when I am surrounded by local folks. If this were Parisian Threads, I would be surprised if somebody complained about people speaking French. It seems like there have been a few arguments here (or maybe I have it confused with someplace else?) about whether pidgin is appropriate, and those arguuments always struck me as silly.

It's not that statements of pride, etc. are not pleasant or appropriate; I just thought that the argument that elicited them was unnecessary. I'm done. I'll post a proper introduction somewhere else on the site, now that I've already gotten involved.
We covered this fairly early on in this thread; the difference is mostly that the kama'aina who still live in Hawai'i don't like to use pidgin as much as us ex-pats who have to be around people who always speak proper English. We cherish our ability to speak/write/understand pidgin because it reminds us of where we came from. People who are immersed in it all the time are immune to these feelings. But for us ex-pats, when we can buss out in pidgin, we going because oni good fun! Besides, it's kind of a "second language" for a lot of us anyway (Me? I also understand Japanese, Brazilian Portuguese, Italian and Spanish, but not enough to speak any of those fluently).

Miulang

kimo55
December 29th, 2004, 05:26 PM
...the kama'aina who still live in Hawai'i don't like to use pidgin as much as us ex-pats...

Not!

(Me? I also understand Japanese, Brazilian Portuguese, Italian and Spanish, but not enough to speak any of those fluently).

Miulang

cool. you go, girl!

Miulang
December 29th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Not!!
Well, Kimo, you know you spesho, anden, yeah? ;) Get plenny locals who no like speak pidgin because dey tink ass low class and not high muckamucka.

Miulang

kimo55
December 29th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Well, Kimo, you know you spesho, anden, yeah? ;) Get plenny locals who no like speak pidgin because dey tink ass low class and not high muckamucka.

Miulang

oh, The local posers and selfimportant yuppies. yessssss. and that new breed of metrosexuals and odda kine; keeds da like hang out alamoana sennah, wearing dat junkalunk designer crap.
sheesh. look what the mainland has wrought. and the newspapers don't help much with all the f.o.b. mainland journalists and the local stories, coverage and general feel going, going, gone, and the slant towards materialism, what's cool, the latest crap, and all kine celebrity gossip.
sheesh. Miss the old days.

lurkah
December 29th, 2004, 10:32 PM
We covered this fairly early on in this thread; the difference is mostly that the kama'aina who still live in Hawai'i don't like to use pidgin as much as us ex-pats who have to be around people who always speak proper English.
Da locals living in Hawai'i take talking pidgin for granted and don't really appreciate how precious it is da way us locals living abroad do because they live and breathe it every day -- da same way I used to take all dose tings for granted too, like Hawaiian music, ono plate lunches, etc., when I was living back home.

We cherish our ability to speak/write/understand pidgin because it reminds us of where we came from. People who are immersed in it all the time are immune to these feelings. But for us ex-pats, when we can buss out in pidgin, we going because oni good fun!
Dass so true, yeah teetah? http://ohanalanai.com/lanai/images/smilies/snicker.gif Bussing out da pidgin and letting um rip whenevah we get togeddah also allows our souls to reach way across da big blue pond and reconnect to our heritage and da way of life we once knew, which most likely is in very stark contrast to where and how we're living now. Where we came from and how we got to be where we are now -- that really defines who we are.

So if get anybody out deah who like try make me deny my heritage just because dey choose to deny theirs and look down deah long supeereeyah nose at me going get lickens.http://ohanalanai.com/lanai/images/smilies/chuckle.gif

http://allthingshawaiian.com/lurkah/smileys/smileylurkahnunchuks.gif
YOSH!

Miulang
December 30th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Eh Bruddah Lurkah! So you wen go holoholo ova hea and go post, yeah? You guys get snow in daboonies? Heard da weather report dat your side wen get snow. Us guys oni get da wet stuff and fog :(

Miulang

lurkah
December 30th, 2004, 08:26 PM
We had about chree inches snow yestaday...enuff fo da keeds still on Christmas break have good fun sliding down hills wit da sleds. But wen all melt away awredeh. Dis was da first snow of da season and HO da pileups had planny huli ovah kine too.

Izzie
December 30th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Eh wow.. dis thread neva mahke yet? Muss be one heavy duty kine subjeck, yeah, no? Wondah why? Hmmmmmm...

And den.. you all praying for da peoples dat wen get buss up by da big tsunami? Alla dems speak in different languages, and dey even get pidgin within their languages too! Gee, you teenk dat maddah to dem now? Muddah watching her children being swept away and her husband no come back from fishing trip, her house gone... Auwe! And den what? Some people worry about uddah people talking in pidgin, or if they fighting about speaking in pidgin... Kinda no make sense to me, yeah? Maybe make sense to some people, but if there is sense in it.. I raddah busy myself sending aide to the countries who is hurting than trying fo figah out why people getting upset ova talking in pidgin. People are people, no maddah WHAT language they speak. Who knows, maybe a person or two is wishing dat one tsunami wen wash me away before I wen staht dis thread, yeah? People who speak pidgin are people too.. not stupid people, not less educated people.. but living breathing human beings... yeah, jahs like those who perished in dat devastation da tsunami brought. And those who stay speaking "Pidgin" in their own languages ova dea, going die from all the illness' dat going befall upon dem and increase da still growing death toll. Pidgin? English? Does it really maddah to you? If so, why so? I no like know cause I no cayah.. I going love you no maddah what the heck you speak. If das not right, or I should stop loving or expressing myself.. den.. it is not my problem. I think get something wrong with those who no can love and accept others unconditionally. That it is and should be not, but still is accepted, even by me.

Eh.. Moki, now I see ha'kum you so busy! *wink*

Happy new year you guys ova hea on dis most wonderful place... Aloha Hugs Ryan! Specho hugs to your ohana too! And a coochi coochi coo to da smallest keiki too!

Miulang
January 2nd, 2005, 09:11 PM
Eh Izzie:
Panzo wen go say he wen find you ova "there" at 4 in da morning! What?! You no need moemoe or what? :eek:

Hau'oli Makahiki Hou to you, Lurkah and Moki.

Miulang

lurkah
January 3rd, 2005, 09:33 PM
Eh Izzie:

Panzo wen go say he wen find you ova "there" at 4 in da morning! What?! You no need moemoe or what? :eek:

Eh Miulang...

Panzo's 4am is Izzie's 7am. All da houses you see her constantly remodeling in "there" are her real houses where she really lives. :p Da house wheah her hubby and doggie live is her imaginary house. You get um now? :D