Podcasts: What Are Your Favorites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Podcasts: What Are Your Favorites?

I did not know where to post this so Mod move it if you may.
    I know there is a thread in the Hawaii media section on local podcasts, but I never saw one on podcasting in general. I love listening to podcasts more than the radio. If you do too, share your favorites.

I recommend:
    Keith and The Girl
    Distorted View
    Penn Radio Podcast

Itunes is my medium for podcasting. Does anyone on HT have a podcast or audioblog? Please share your favorites
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Podcasts: What Are Your Favorites?

Here is the original podcasting thread. It does focus on Hawaii-centric or Hawaii-originated shows, but there are a lot of great links there so if you're new to this stuff, I'd check it out.

Outside Hawaii, the general interest podcasts I subscribe to include a lot of NPR, PRI, APM, BBC shows, from daily news wrapups to special programs. There's Will Shortz's quickie Sunday Puzzle, Wait! Wait! Don't Tell Me... I was thrilled when This American Life came out from behind the paywall, I love Radio Lab and wish there were more.

Tech is also a theme on my iPod. Hard not to listen to This Week in Tech (TWiT). And there's The MacCast, MacBreak, and MacWorld for Macs.

My wife and I are big fans of Coverville, and recently got some audio feedback and a Hawaiian track played. Filmspotting, too, is great, especially when they disagree. The Word Nerds are sharp, academic but interesting... but they've slowed down and you can tell when they're having a bad week. We've become friends with Paige of MommyCast, one of the bigger podcasts out there (that recently bailed on PodShow).

Of course, there are lots of podcasts devoted to "LOST." I catch many of them through the Lost Podcasting Network I set up. Favorites include Jay and Jack, The Lost Community Podcast (new arrivals, but sharp!), and LOSTCasts.

As for general chatter, sort of in the vein of Keith and the Girl? My wife likes American Cliche and The Bitterest Pill. Sometimes I catch up with Croncast, which is really just suburban babble -- they've been called "audio wallpaper" and admit it's sometimes fitting.

And finally, I tune into podcasts from friends of mine, some of which are most certainly only of interest to people who know them (though I think such tiny podcasts with audiences in the dozens are really one of the best things of the podcasting phenomenon).

Comment

Hooray, the NPR interview show Fresh Air, hosted by Terry Gross, is now available as a podcast!

Comment

I have a mixed opinion of Terry Gross, though I used to be a big fan. If she's got a guest I'm interested in, I tune in, but I don't listen by default like I used to anymore. Too many meandering chats with unasked questions that leave me exasperated.

I've got "This American Life" and "Wait! Wait!" and "Science Friday" and "NOVA Science Now" and "Future Tense" and "The Writer's Almanac" and "Marketplace" and... whew. Now all I need is for "Says You!" to come out as a free podcast, and I'll be happy. Probably.

Comment

I've probably asked this question before but I'll ask it again! Where in the heck do people find the time to listen to (and/or originate) podcasts, participate in sites such as Last.fm (and similar sites), HT, myspace, blog, video blogs, hold down a job, parent, take out the trash, go to the bathroom, walk the dog, grocery shop, commute, maybe work a 2nd job, sleep, eat.? Phew, I'm exhausted just typing it!

And while I'm hoping to inject a little humor with that lengthy question, it's a serious question nonetheless. I'm hardpressed to find time for HT but that doesn't seem to stop me! Guess it's my vice!

Comment

A friend of mine has a new podcast Spooky in the City. It's all about a newly single man( after a ten year relationship) living in NYC. Everything from dating, cooking and washing hair.

BTW... Tutusue, we listen to them while we walk the dog,grocery shop, commute,take out the trash, go to the bathroom etc. A good podcast IMO, beats a Ipod full of pop tunes on a good walk.
            Last edited by alohabear; February 2, 2007, 10:38 AM.
            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
            Flickr

Comment

lol, sue--- you've definitely asked that question before and it makes me smile every time. thanks to technology life is waaaay too time-consuming sometimes. i get overwhelmed every day. after a while though, it's easy to pick the goodies out of the crap and just stick with what works for you.

for me, i never have time to listen to podcasting--- even the one i participate in-- except for.... recently! when i realized i could listen to them while i'm at the gym. now it's a whole new world. but they aren't that interesting--- mostly tech stuff for work.

there IS a video podcast i wanted to mention that is just fantastic-- the tiki bar tv.
              check it here: http://www.tikibartv.com/
              the interface is very shag-esque. HOT!
              life is ok sometimes

Comment

I started listening to This American Life when I got an iPod, now my wife looks at me like i'm old....
                Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

just a quick podcasting confession before heading for bed: i recently wanted to download a short podcast on photoshop/photography to listen to in bed with my ipod. what i found when i did a search was that video podcasts were now extremely common. it may have been just my luck but i found it hard to find a simple mp3 podcast on the subject; i guess most people wanted to show the user how to do something vs just talk about it; i mean, that makes sense since i think most people would want to see how it's done vs listen to how it's done.

so anyway, my confession is that i had no idea this was happening; makes sense but it just pounced on me!

places like lynda.com are great with tons of video-based tutorials (quicktime files) but the need for the paid service seems less necessary with so many video podcasts available for free.

so a confession and a recommendation for people who are searching for a tutorial on almost any subject.

*** very small plug: http://www.onthemedia.org/topics/movies/1 is pretty cool cuz i like the option to download the mp3 file (movie review/discussion) or to just listen to it online or to read the transcript of the podcast, etc. that is, having all kinds of options is greatly appreciated...
                  525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Working...
                  X