Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remembering Pearl Harbor

Nation once again remembers Dec. 7
    Some 5,000 people -- 400 of them survivors -- are expected to pay homage to fallen servicemen, commemorating the Japanese attack that turned placid Pearl Harbor into a roiling sea of death 65 years ago today. [...] This is the second year in a row the Navy and the National Park Service will hold a joint memorial service at 7:40 a.m., Dec. 7, for the 2,390 U.S. military and civilians killed.
    The Honolulu Advertiser also has articles, a photo gallery, and some video related to Pearl Harbor remembrances, including the story of one survivor's visit with parts of the U.S.S. Arizona's wreckage.

For those unable to directly participate, KITV will provide live streaming coverage of the ceremony. KITV also notes that two other events are taking place today: Groundbreaking for the USS Oklahoma Memorial, and the grand opening of The Pacific Aviation Museum on Ford Island.

Re: Remembering Pearl Harbor

This year was the first time ever , that we visited Pearl Harbor..AMAZING!
    I was absolutely blown away. I had no idea, all the details. It was so powerful. We were even able to meet 3 survivors! I will never forget it. I am so thankful we were able to visit Pearl Harbor.
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I'm watching the live coverage on KHNL right now...it's soooo moving. Tom Brokaw's speech was wonderful.

Comment

The most poignant thing about this year's commemoration is that it will be the last formal reunion of the veterans and most are now in their mid-80s or older.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

It was a truly great era when Americans got angry because somebody attacked us. The most courageous generation is passing on, while their offspring choose to be ostriches.

My how the times have changed.

It just dawned on me that pacifists are often the activists. Irony?
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Tim the difference is that today there are quite a few of our enemies out there that possess some sort of nuclear weaponry that could wreak havoc on our citizens. Back in WWII we were the only ones with THE BOMB.

As much as I support President Bush, his "Shock and Awe" didn't do much to kill the threat he wanted. It's more like Shocked and Auwe!

Plus with allied countries under NATO it's not as easy now as it was back then to single-handedly (one nation) overthrow another country and not expect some sort of retaliation from other countries sympathetic to the country we just mowed over.

Times have changed...this is the 21st century and we've moving away from our caveman mentality of supremacy over braddah Ogg over in Cave #2.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

[QUOTE=timkona;121147]It was a truly great era when Americans got angry because somebody attacked us. The most courageous generation is passing on, while their offspring choose to be ostriches.

Well, maybe that's how you see it, but I think the younger generation is:
              1) More open to the fact that violence isn't a valid means of solving disputes. Violence just perpetuates more violence.
              2) Aren't as easily convinced to give their lives for their country (can't say that I blame them with our blundering leadership).
              3) Have a broader, more worldly outlook, have many international friends from many countries, thus more respectful of other countries and cultures. (Not blindly patriotic like some of the older generation.)
              Just my 2cents.

Comment

1) Violence might not be palatable to the younger generation of Americans. But to a Muslim, weaned on a pablum of hatred, violence is the only answer acceptable to Allah.

2) The Idiot has made some blunders. We agree.

3) Respect is a two way street. I do not respect fanatics, or the peaceful among them who do not try to stop it, or condemn it, in any way.

Iraq would be a more peaceful place if the notion of "vigilantism" would become popular. The problem is that the non-violent still revere the violent as heroes, even as their children die from suicide bombings.

The older generations, ie Pearl Harbor dudes, understand all of this.
                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                  1) Violence might not be palatable to the younger generation of Americans. But to a Muslim, weaned on a pablum of hatred, violence is the only answer acceptable to Allah.
                  Better look over your shoulder, Tim. As of January, we will have a Muslim sitting in the hallowed halls of Congress. Heaven forfend the kind of legislation he might propose!

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

[QUOTE=timkona;121296]1) Violence might not be palatable to the younger generation of Americans. But to a Muslim, weaned on a pablum of hatred, violence is the only answer acceptable to Allah.

Your original comment was referring to the younger generation of Americans. I don't know why you're talking about Muslims.

3) Respect is a two way street. I do not respect fanatics, or the peaceful among them who do not try to stop it, or condemn it, in any way.

Once again, are we talking about you? Or the younger generation? It's nice to hear your opinion, but that's not what the post was about.

Iraq would be a more peaceful place if the notion of "vigilantism" would become popular. The problem is that the non-violent still revere the violent as heroes, even as their children die from suicide bombings.

Now you've totally lost me. Iraq now?

Comment

Working...
                    X