Various Artists
    Chris Lau & Milton Lau, producers
    [Rhythm And Roots Records]

Legends Of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar — Live From Maui
    Various Artists
    Daniel Ho, George Kahumoku, Jr., Paul Konwiser & Wayne Wong, producers
    [Daniel Ho Creations]

Re: 2006 Hawaiian Grammy nominees

Three of five are slack key albums. Considering the last two winners -- Daniel Ho Creations' "Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar -- Vol. 1" and Charles Brotman's "Slack Key Guitar Volume 2" -- I imagine history will repeat itself.

I love slack key. But I hope the Grammy voters move on to more diverse pastures.

Comment

Rather than hoping voters will vote for diversity, I think it would be cool if they'd vote for what they consider the best album, regardless of genre.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

How noble.

Look at the wide range of Hawaiian music out there. Look at the finalists for these Grammy ballots. Do you think these people are listening to a remotely representative sample of Hawaiian music -- and remember, the Grammy award encompases it all, for better or worse -- and reasonably concluded that slack key albums are simply the most noteworthy, regardless of genre? Or do you think they're just listening to too much slack key?

I vote the latter. People vote what they know, yes, and awards are basically popularity contests, so these results are hardly surprising. But because they're not the result of as fair and agnostic a system as people sometimes imagine, I think it's quite reasonable to be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
          Do you think these people are listening to a remotely representative sample of Hawaiian music?
          Nope. As many people have noted in these discussions, the Grammy voters do not represent Hawaiian music very well. I wrote an explanatory piece after the first Hawaiian Grammy was announced in early 2005; much of it still applies.

Comment

Right. I'm not saying the best album has been winning. That's why I'm suggesting that voters listen for what's the best album, regardless of genre. I think that's a fair request. There's nothing "noble" about such a desire. If a slack-key album is the best album out that year, then it should win without concern for whatever has won in the past.

I haven't heard a single thing on the list, except excerpts from Amy Hanaialii Gilliom's album (which were terrific), but whenever I've seen Led Kaapana live, he's been better than anything else I can think of; it would not be difficult for me to believe that his is the best album this past year, and if it is, I hope he wins it.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

if the ~best~ album wins, it will go to the chick with pipes, or the funky kanak who murdarranged the classics in stunning new ways. But how many folks with voting power will understand what Kapono did?

pax

Comment

For anyone interested in the REST of the Grammys...here's a list.
                Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                Flickr

Comment

I will not be surprised if another ki ho'alu album wins this year. Last year, I was originally not happy with the results but soon got over it because I realized that that's the type of Hawaiian music that most mainlanders know of, and hapa haole stuff too. I won't be disappointed if the same thing happens again.
                  'Alika

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                    if the ~best~ album wins, it will go to the chick with pipes, or the funky kanak who murdarranged the classics in stunning new ways. But how many folks with voting power will understand what Kapono did?
                    There's probably more mainland haole voters who will appreciate Kapono's effort than those here in Hawaii.

And don't sleep on Uncle Led... braddah most definitely deserves a Grammy.

Care about what's "the best" Hawaiian album out there? Then pay attention to the Hokus.

Comment

Re: 2007 Hawaiian Grammy nominees

I predict Henry Kapono will win it, due to name recognition among the mainland Grammy voters and some of his personal friends in the biz who will hustle votes for him.
                      (And can someone please correct the title of this thread like I did to this reply? It should be 2007 Hawaiian Grammy nominees, not 2006. Yeah, the nominees were announced today, in 2006, but the award will be given in 2007. )

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                        It should be 2007 Hawaiian Grammy nominees, not 2006. Yeah, the nominees were announced today, in 2006, but the award will be given in 2007.
                        The award is for the best album of 2006.
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                          The award is for the best album of 2006.
                          Thank you, Scrivener, that's correct; and to be completely accurate, the eligibility period is stated thus:
                          For recordings released during the Eligibility Year October 1, 2005 through September 30, 2006
                          My prediction? "Hawaiian Slack Key Kings" will take it, as the title alone will resonate most with Mainland Recording Academy voters (especially when they see that Jack Johnson is among the performers.) Would that be bad? No - look who else is on the disc...Uncle Led, father and son Kamakahi, Makana, Paul Togioka, rising star Danny Carvalho (recently featured on the national broadcast of "A Prairie Home Companion"), Milton Lau (who owns the label, and co-produced the disc with his son, engineer Chris Lau), and so on.

Is this the album I will vote for as most deserving? You know I won't answer that. But I will say that, despite being heavily weighted towards ki ho`alu (and the local industry is now an accomplice to that - look how many new releases add the words "slack key" to the title), each year's list of nominees are excellent representations of the scene, given the limitations of selecting just five. No Jawaiian - but there weren't any amongst the 29 eligible albums either, due to the language requirement. Seeing Kapono's rock album make the list was a surprise, however, and a pleasant one at that.

Comment

Kinda surprised that this thread has been dormant since early December. But in any case, the winner should be announced within the next two hours. Any last-minutes guesses or comments?

Comment

Here's the announcement of the winner:

"The live, multiartist vocal and instrumental compilation "Legends of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar - Live From Maui" has won this year's Grammy award for Best Hawaiian Music Album.
                              "Grammys were awarded to producers Daniel Ho, George Kahumoku Jr., Paul Konwiser and Wayne Wong.
                              "The production team also took home last year's Grammy in the category for the album "Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar, Vol. 1."

Comment

Working...
                              X