Star Market shutting down Kaneohe store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Market shutting down Kaneohe store

Heard Mike Buck talking about how Star Markets is closing its Kaneohe store, quoting The Honolulu Star-Bulletin. Stefany Sophos is quoted as saying that it's a location that Walgreens could move into. Buck said he suspects those 41 people will have no trouble landing new jobs.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Re: Star Market shutting down Kaneohe store

Yes, the Star-Bulletin got the story yesterday and published it in this morning's edition
    The Advertiser apparently picked it up from the Star-Bulletin later this morning and posted it as a five-line "Breaking News" item on their website this afternoon.
    Better late than never, I guess.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

How many Star Markets are left now? I was shocked to see the one in Niu Valley closed when I visited a few years back.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
        How many Star Markets are left now? I was shocked to see the one in Niu Valley closed when I visited a few years back.
        Wasn't that a Times market?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          Wasn't that a Times market?
          Uhh, yeah. It was Times Supermarket! I know because back during small kid time, we used to stop by there (or Burger King) every morning on the way to Niu Valley Intermediate School. Good times!!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Ah yes, you're right, Times Market!

Sorry to get that wrong, I guess I am getting old and feeble, memory-wise

So I assume Times Market is 100% gone -- and what of Star? Are they fading now?

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
              and what of Star? Are they fading now?
              I've visited that store. I tend to shop late Saturday night. They were open, but the place does look run down and very quiet. I guess I'm not too surprised they are closing. Is there still a Star in Kailua?

Comment

They are closing the Kahala Mall store as well so that will be Walgreens as many of us didn't think Tower Records would become Walgreens in its odd location.

I live across the street from Star in Kalihi at Kam Shopping Center, it has been there for 35 plus years and I would not be surprised if it gets sold, but not to Walgreens as it would be foolish to compete with Longs in the same shopping center.

Our Star looks run down, even a makeover a few years ago hasnt changed its perception. With Foodlands closeby in Liliha and Dillingham I wonder what would replace it???

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                  They are closing the Kahala Mall store as well so that will be Walgreens as many of us didn't think Tower Records would become Walgreens in its odd location.
                  Where did you get this information? This story about the Kaneohe store closing has no mention of the same thing happening in Kahala.

Comment

Right here:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...582607341.html

KalihiBoy

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out. It will be interesting to see Walgreens and Longs in the same mall...

Comment

Well Walgreens is obviously not shy about competing with Longs at Kahala Mall, but to further my statement I can't imagine Walgreens moving into Kam Shopping Center in Kalihi as well as they would literally face each other and we would be without an anchor grocery store so to speak. But stranger things have and can happened. With Star Markets now dwindling it seems they may be fazing out of the grocery business or Walgreens is being very agressive in its initial attempt to open in Hawaii.

KallihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                          Well Walgreens is obviously not shy about competing with Longs at Kahala Mall, but to further my statement I can't imagine Walgreens moving into Kam Shopping Center in Kalihi as well as they would literally face each other and we would be without an anchor grocery store so to speak. But stranger things have and can happened. With Star Markets now dwindling it seems they may be fazing out of the grocery business or Walgreens is being very agressive in its initial attempt to open in Hawaii.

KallihiBoy
                          Star Market's Kahala Mall closure will leave that mall without an anchor grocery store. That was my neighborhood market for so many years. It saddens me to think it will be gone as I still shop there when I'm house sitting in town. I'm surprised Longs doesn't have a no compete clause (or whatever it's called) in their lease. Times Market will certainly reap the benefit of Star's closure but, for some reason, I never could get into shopping at Times...possibly because Star's location in a mall made it so much more convenient. Looks like Times will be the sole, neighborhood grocery store in Kahala.

Comment

They really updated and renovated the Times on Beretania recently, however the Kahala Times looks very old and ripe to be replaced as well unless they renovate over there as well. I guess Safeway at Hawaii Kai would be the closest grocery if Times falls as well or the new Safeway on Kapahulu.

KalihiBoy

Comment

The Star Market on Beretania also did a major renovation a year ago I think they are in a good location and should be safe, however the Times on Beretania near Longs would be ripe for yet another Walgreens takeover I bet.

Walgreens would be in a perfect location if they could secure the Waikiki Food Pantry.

Sounds like Walgreens is being very agressive instead of just getting their feet wet by testing the waters and opening up a single store at Ala Moana, does anyone agree?

KalihiBoy

Comment

Working...
                              X