Rock Concerts & Photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock Concerts & Photography

I've enjoyed looking at the few pictures posted or linked to in the ongoing U2 Concert Thread. One of the reasons (besides cost) that I am reluctant to go to most rock concerts is my perception that most photography is either banned from a concert venue or at least severely restricted. If I have to pay big bucks to attend a concert, I should be able to take pictures at the concert to help me remember it better than the simple fact that "I was there".

The last 2 concerts that I attended in recent years, I managed to sneak in a small camera to the places where we were seated with mixed results. If the camera thing was not an issue, I would love to take my DSLR with a long lens and get some decent pictures at whatever concert I'm at. As things now go, I guess most people are resigned to sneaking in a small compact camera or mobile phone camera in to get a picture.

Unless of course one is a member of the press.

Anyway what are your thoughts on photography at rock concert or any other kinds of music performances?
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: Rock Concerts & Photography

All these big acts are copyrighted. Much income is derived from their images. Thus most acts don't allow cameras in the venue. Perfectly acceptable to me. Some acts like Pearl Jam and U2 allow point-and-shoots, and SLRs with lenses usually under 100mm in length. At the show last night I saw a lot of people with SLRs.

As for the media, the general rule is that we are allowed to shoot the first three songs, and then asked to leave (or at least ditch the photo gear). Some acts ask the media to sign silly contracts saying that the acts "own" the photos we take and can have full access to them anytime. We do not cover these types of shows. Other times we've been asked to sign papers that say we will only use the photos for legitimate editorial, not commercial, purposes.

I wouldn't bother with cameras anyway, since I like to soak up the show. Taking photos seems to detract from the whole experience for me personally.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post

The last 2 concerts that I attended in recent years, I managed to sneak in a small camera to the places where we were seated with mixed results. ...
      nice pictures! i've never looked at your gallery before; the picture of the protest against rail/tax hikes reminded me that i haven't seen that thread here for a while. do you think it's a done deal?

anyway, back to topic, nice pictures!
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
        I've enjoyed looking at the few pictures posted or linked to in the ongoing U2 Concert Thread. One of the reasons (besides cost) that I am reluctant to go to most rock concerts is my perception that most photography is either banned from a concert venue or at least severely restricted. If I have to pay big bucks to attend a concert, I should be able to take pictures at the concert to help me remember it better than the simple fact that "I was there".

The last 2 concerts that I attended in recent years, I managed to sneak in a small camera to the places where we were seated with mixed results. If the camera thing was not an issue, I would love to take my DSLR with a long lens and get some decent pictures at whatever concert I'm at. As things now go, I guess most people are resigned to sneaking in a small compact camera or mobile phone camera in to get a picture.

Unless of course one is a member of the press.

Anyway what are your thoughts on photography at rock concert or any other kinds of music performances?
        I used to sneak in my SLR camera with a 400mm lense but since 9-11 security has really been tightened up at the stadium and Blaisdell arena so I have to settle with my point and shoot digital.

Comment

Working...
        X