"Living in Lahaina" & "Maui Fever"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Living in Lahaina" & "Maui Fever"

Just curious what you in the Islands think of these two new MTV shows that I've heard have finished filiming in Maui. Was the PR good or bad on these shows? Did they employ locals? Were they respectful? Do you think they will be very similar to "Real World"? I thought there might be some interesting opinions or grapevine news....

Re: "Living in Lahaina" & "Island Fever"

Originally posted by alohakat View Post
    Just curious what you in the Islands think of these two new MTV shows that I've heard have finished filiming in Maui. Was the PR good or bad on these shows? Did they employ locals? Were they respectful? Do you think they will be very similar to "Real World"? I thought there might be some interesting opinions or grapevine news....
    According to this review, they are similar to "Real World". And all I can say is, egads. Just what Maui needs. Or maybe by seeing these 2 shows, it'll turn off some potential tourists so they won't add to Maui's already clogged roads even more.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I hear they hired locals and pumped money into Maui's economy.

Developing industries besides tourism. That is what Maui needs.

Comment

Originally posted by alohakat View Post
        [...]Did they employ locals?[...]
        I'm not involved in episodic tv so tend not to pay too much attention to the local buzz...unless, of course, it comes from Erika! Anyway, if the shows applied for the tax credit then they had to make a reasonable attempt to hire local crew members.

I understand where you're coming from, Miulang, but the outer islands really need more film production. And, film production and tourism tend to go hand in hand even if the 'film' depicts a popular destination in a negative light. Traffic will always be problematic and is fed by many different sources.

Comment

"Island Fever" has been renamed "Maui Fever" and starts broadcasting on MTV in about a week.

Comment

Maui Fever. One of the biggest pieces of crap I've ever seen. Turned it off after about 10 minutes.

Comment

It's an MTV show, aimed at a teenage demographic, of course it's crap, unless you're 15 and your only interest is looking at pretty people. All the MTV shows are that bad. Reality, fast food television at it's lowest.

I wonder how much money is actually getting pumped into the Maui economy by MTV during this filming, because they are notoriously CHEAP, and I'm sure are cutting corners at every turn. Chances are they're renting a house owned by MTV Inc, or some mainlander, and probably telling the location owners where they film that "it's good exposure for your business to be fiming here", and getting around paying them too. That is pretty much their M.O.
              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                All the MTV shows are that bad.
                Wrong. Three words: ROB AND BIG.

Originally posted by tikiyaki
                Chances are they're renting a house owned by MTV Inc, or some mainlander, and probably telling the location owners where they film that "it's good exposure for your business to be fiming here", and getting around paying them too.
                Wrong again. From what I understand, all of the cast were allowed to live in their own residences for the duration of filming. No word if MTV paid their rent, though.

Comment

Rut-roh. Looks like "Maui Fever" (originally titled "Island Fever") is a dud, in the estimation of some local Maui residents. What's most interesting is that some of the people with the strongest objections to the first episode were young people to whom the series is aimed at:

Three of the cast members graduated from Maui schools, including pro surfer Cheyne Magnusson and Anthony (MTV does not release last names), both Lahainaluna alumni, and Chaunte, a King Kekaulike High School alumna. Other stars are Corbin, Jesse and Sean.

None were born in Hawaii and MTV did not provide information on how long any have lived in the islands. The cast does not include any of the ethnic groups that make up Hawaii except for Caucasian.

One of the first reactions by local viewers is a critique of that decision, especially since Hawaii is the most ethnically diverse state in the country.

“(The show) is a really good idea, but these people aren’t from here,” said Kim Cabanilla, 18, of Lahaina. “The haole thing is not a big deal, but I’d like to see people who are from here.”

Cabanilla, a Lahainaluna senior, said she visited an online message board about “Fever,” and someone had written, “I didn’t know Hawaiians were so pale.”

“Those are people who are from California,” she said she wrote back...
                  Maybe TV needs to create a new genre, the "shibai" reality TV series.

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I admit that I'm a 27 year old obsessed with MTV "reality" shows. My Super Sweet Sixteen. The Hills. Laguna Beach. Etc. etc.

I said from the get-go that I wasn't going to bother with "Maui Fever" and I haven't bothered to watch it. I had a few friends who were excited to watch it as it was being dubbed "Hawaii's Laguna Beach"...but they too wwere disappointed with the premiere episode.

MTV only has 8 episodes lined up. Hopefully this one will die just like the rest.
                    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                    We're not here to mess around
                    Boston, you know we love you madly
                    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                    You know we couldn't live without you
                    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

FYI, Petition going on to get this Maui Fever sh** off..... Alot of people are pissed at the way they make Maui appear to be like another Laguna Beach. Anyway you can find the petition goin on at Petitiononline.com(cancel Maui Fever). So far over 3,200 sig`s........
                      bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
                        So far over 3,200 sig`s........
                        Probably more than the show's viewership. Bet they love the publicity, though. I know I likely would not have heard of the show if it hadn't been for this thread (then again, I ain't exactly in their target demographic.)

Comment

New story on MSN.com (from the Associated Press) at this link.
                          Note the part on page 2 where the series creator says "There's an allure to the tropics and to Hawaii, and of living on a tropical island and being on permanent vacation".
                          Living here is a "permanent vacation"?
                          My first reaction:
                          And my second reaction, of course, was:

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                            New story on MSN.com (from the Associated Press) at this link.
                            Note the part on page 2 where the series creator says "There's an allure to the tropics and to Hawaii, and of living on a tropical island and being on permanent vacation".
                            Living here is a "permanent vacation"?
                            My first reaction:
                            And my second reaction, of course, was:
                            When you come from a place where the weather is gray, cold, damp, snowy etc half the year, a place with lots of warm sunshine, VERY beautiful nature, and Palm trees feels like vacation, even when it's not. I experience this with living in California (12 years now) , having grown up on Long island.

You may be used to how nice it is, and maybe take it for granted ? (not accusing, just asking) Try living in Buffalo or Cleveland for a few years, and I bet living in Hawaii will feel a little more like a permanent vacation.

Of course, having been on this board for a while, I now know it's not a living vacation, but alot more like Paradise than say, Topeka, Kansas.
                            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Are those PetitionOnline sites even effective? I mean, have there been known instances where it actually even worked?
                              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                              We're not here to mess around
                              Boston, you know we love you madly
                              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                              You know we couldn't live without you
                              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Working...
                              X