Interesting coatings ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting coatings ...

I used smashed up doritos (toasted corn flavor) to coat my salmon. I figure it would taste close to panko. It came out alright and the wife loved it. She could figure out what the coating was. I was tempted to add some ground up pork rinds too but didn't.

Anyone use flavored doritos or other kinds of chips to coat chicken, pork chops, etc. I'm just curious on how they turned out.
    just started: mililaniblog.com

Re: Interesting coatings ...

Doritos! That's interesting. They certainly come with their own seasoning!

We've used Ritz crackers a lot, usually to fill in when we've started cooking before realizing we didn't have something else!

Comment

When I was a kid, we coated fried chicken with a mizture of corn flakes and potato chips.

Comment

Same here corn flakes and potato chips.
        OR saltine crackers. Oh and of course italian seasoned bread crumbs. For chicken and Pork.
        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
        Sharing withother survivors...
        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

My dad used to use potato chips. I'm going to try the Doritos sometime, tho'!

Comment

I was always curious about corn flakes for fried chicken. I bet Kellogg's Frosted Flakes would add a nice savory-sweet twist to it. Or how about Kellogg's Sugar Smacks-crusted Pork Chops? Oh man, breakfast cereal-crusted deep-fried meats? The possibilities are endless!

Takes us Americans to think of a way to make a perfectly healthy food unhealthy. lol

I heard these Furikake Potato Chips are really ono. Gotta' try it.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

we pound chips and add it to our meat loaf, and the family favorites are: s-cream/onion or vinegar/salt. The expensive route would be to use Maui potato chips of the onion-flavored variety.

pax

Comment

A friend turned me on to these garlic flavored macadamia nuts. He said that he crushes them and rolls his ahi in it than sears it real fast on the outside so that it's still raw inside then slices it sashimi style. My mouth was watering just thinking about it.

Doritos. My favorite chip! Maybe I'll try some seared ahi with your Dorito idea!

Comment

My mom used to make corn flake chicken which I think was baked. It was my favorite. That was chicken katsu before I ever heard of it.

I didn't go searching around the web before I posted but there must be a site out there. I did notice that some HT posters are quite good at cooking so I posted here.

I must say the salmon I used wasn't totally coated by the chips. The chips also had a lot of salt so I didn't add too much additional salt. With all the varietys of chips and cereals the possibilities are endless. Hopefully as people experiment they will continue posting to this thread.

The mac nut recipe sounds good.
                  just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador View Post
                    The mac nut recipe sounds good.
                    I've done Mac' nut crusted Mahimahi, Ono and Monchong. Winnahz. Especially with a fruit "salsa" to top it. The flavor and texture contrast is great. But the Mac' Nuts go from golden brown to BURNT real quick, so you have to be careful with heat management of the fry pan. I burnt several pieces on my first attempt.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Hi guys,
                      Long time no "see!" I've missed y'all ... and wanted to chime in on this thread.

A friend of mine gave me instructions on a variation of this dish one time and I was stoked to see this apparently noteworthy recipe, for Side Street Inn's Cornflake Chicken, run by the Star-Bulletin's Betty Shimabukuro last week: (I really liked her "apology" for the recipe ... she's so funny.)

http://starbulletin.com/2006/12/13/f...s/request.html

Then, she ran this Side Street recipe today. It's not a deep-fried or baked coating type thing, as are most entries in the thread, but it sho' nuff sounds like a deliciously sinful way to eat edamame!

http://starbulletin.com/2006/12/20/f...s/request.html
                      I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Working...
                      X