Billy Joel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billy Joel

Anybody went to Billy Joel. It was an awesome concert.

Re: Billy Joel

I expected the music and sound to be great, but it was Mr. Joel himself who was fabulous.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by na alii View Post
      Anybody went to Billy Joel. It was an awesome concert.
      didn't make it but thanks for the pictures! did he play the old song allentown? and scenes from an italian restaurant?
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
        didn't make it but thanks for the pictures! did he play the old song allentown? and scenes from an italian restaurant?
        Yes he did. He didn't do Honesty, Uptown Girl and Your Only Human(Second Wind)

Comment

It was a lot of fun! My husband is a huge Billy Joel fan who has seen him 10+ times, and he was especially thrilled. Fun show!

Comment

I went and enjoyed the show, I remember last seeing him 20 years ago at the ASU Activity Center in Tempe, AZ. He no longer tours with his older band I noticed. Back then he didnt do songs like Just the Way You Are and My Life so it was great to see him sing these songs this time around. I liked the way he joked around with the audience and let the fans decide which song to sing: Honesty or Just the Way You Are. The latter won out. It is indeed impossible to play all of his hits, but I would have liked to have heard more songs off of the Innocent Man album from 1983 like Uptown Girl and his number one Tell Her About It which are some of my favorites. Also liked She's Got A Way, Stranger, A Matter of Trust, This is the Time, but he can't please everyone.

I remember him singing Just the Way You Are on Saturday Night Live in 1978!!

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
              I went and enjoyed the show, I remember last seeing him 20 years ago at the ASU Activity Center in Tempe, AZ. He no longer tours with his older band I noticed. Back then he didnt do songs like Just the Way You Are and My Life so it was great to see him sing these songs this time around. I liked the way he joked around with the audience and let the fans decide which song to sing: Honesty or Just the Way You Are. The latter won out. It is indeed impossible to play all of his hits, but I would have liked to have heard more songs off of the Innocent Man album from 1983 like Uptown Girl and his number one Tell Her About It which are some of my favorites. Also liked She's Got A Way, Stranger, A Matter of Trust, This is the Time, but he can't please everyone.

I remember him singing Just the Way You Are on Saturday Night Live in 1978!!

KalihiBoy
              I remember him playing in bars in NY and getting into fights.

He also ended up in the hospital I worked at after a suicide attempt (all documented in his published bio so no privacy infractions here).

He drank furniture polish.

Death by Old English.

He was appropriately horrified by the county hospital psych unit in which he was placed after the attempt.

This is an extremely heavy duty psych unit. I worked psych in that hospital for a while due to circumstances beyond my control (sorta like "hey, we need you here and if you got a problem with that you can leave") and can vouch for its majorly scary inhabitants.

The boy done good after he left, though. Scared straight, so to speak.

Comment

Billy Joel was kick ass !!!

We got in for $96 total(2 seats, bought separately, and not contiguous), with keiki "asleep" on my back as we strolled through. Took a seat here, got bumped, took a seat over there, got bumped. Got bumped again. And Again. Finally, ended up front row, behind the stage, looking down at the drummer, and the Sax Crew, with Billy Joel beyond that. The view from the rear was KILLER !!! Could see every note he played. Got some killer photos I will post. We were 60 feet, or less. With comfy padded seats. When the lights rotated and pointed right at us, I felt like the whole stadium could see me roaring the lyrics.

As for the show, musically, it blew U2 right outta the water. The snaps, the percussion, the triplett accents with syncopation.... Billy & his band were just tight as a ducks ass. Check the black chick on the percussion and tenor sax......smokin !! They played Innocent Man, New York State of Mind, Big Shot, and a host of other standards. He also played Zanzibar, which few would know. Italian Restaurant is supposed to make you cry a little. And Piano Man closed the show. I was crying as I walked out the Blaisdell. My daughter is goin around singing "You had to be a big shot picture". That's how I learned it when I was her age.

He thinks he is old, and he jokes about it. He thinks his audience is old too, and jokes about that. The exwife jokes were funny also. With me in the audience, I know he is lauging with a sinner. I have a new found appreciation for how old I am.

Rock on Billy Joel. You tore the house down.
                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Did the band miss the cue to end the Only the Good Die Young encore song by chance? Seems like they did, I heard him say "just keep playing" and they repeated the same ending verse, a few bandmembers jokingly walk off like they were fired, maybe to show who messed up and BJ then says something to the effect, well at least you know we're not on tape!!

I didn't know he published a autobiography, does anyone know the title of the book and when it came out by chance, would love to read it. I always thought it was a bit odd that during the height of his career when he was winning Grammy Awards with Phil Ramone that he never showed up to get those awards kind of like Woody Allen would always pull or George C. Scott. If everyone else in the music industry can can show up, why can't you or is it for some political reason??

Maybe the song Pressure has to do with his psych ward experiences??

KalihiBoy

Comment

Working...
                  X