No announcement yet.

HOLY FREAKING COW (Rodrigo y Gabriela)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOLY FREAKING COW (Rodrigo y Gabriela)

I saw this amazing guitar duo on Craig Ferguson and was blown away, making a mental note to check them out later. Then I saw Rodrigo y Gabriela on Letterman last night and I thought I was going to explode. Amazing. You have to SEE them to get the full effect (like with Stanley Jordan). I immediately downloaded their album from eMusic (I get free songs if you list me as a referrer, so don't be shy) and I am in love.

The initial run on their October release comes with a DVD, so even though I already paid for the MP3s, I'm running right out to see if I can get one. Check out the Letterman performance here and tell me they don't make you want to hump a guitar!
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: HOLY FREAKING COW (Rodrigo y Gabriela)

DAMN Amazing!

Comment

Holy G-String Batman !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well that took flamenco guitar playing to a new level for me. Gabriela's percussive playing was simply amazing. Thanks for the heads-up Scrivener !!

What a great find.

DD
      www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

I'm not sure if that clip makes me want to pick up my guitar and rock out or throw it out the window. Thanks for the find, Scriv. I think.
        Don't be mean,
        try to help.

Comment

They just played in Seattle. Sold out. Very sold out.

Next West Coast date is Jan 26th at the Troub.

Their cover of Metallica's "Orion" is a song that I can keep on repeat for hours and not get tired of. I am dying to hear their version of "One".

This is the stuff I love, indescribable, so out there that mainstream alternative radio has a hard time finding a spot for it. Heard them first on KEXP, stuck in traffic, blown away.
          You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Holey moley. That's outrageous. R&G's Letterman video is now the newest denizen on my iPod. Thanks for the link, Scriv.

Here are a couple of links to a favorite of mine, blind musician, Raul Midon...

Guitar slap techniques:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIb2mXKKzi8

Great song: State of Mind:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IObO7aSMhYM
            (features his great guitar technique and his mouth trumpet)

Talent like Rodrigo & Gabriela and Raul Midon make me wish I'd followed my heart into music. Next lifetime...<g>
            Last edited by tutusue; December 19, 2006, 07:04 PM. Reason: added links

Comment

Jdub, there's no need to toss that old six-string out the window. Rodrigo y Gabriela explain how they do it! So all you gotta do is...well, you'll see.

I couldn't stop laughing, cause every time Gabriela says, "All you have to do is..." and then demonstrates it, she follows that up with, "And then you add..."

Oh, man. They're amazing.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I just looked at that video, and I'll agree these 2 are truly amazing on the guitar. I was wondering how it would be if they got together with Jake Shimabukuro..... 2 Guitars and a Uke.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                  I'm running right out to see if I can get one.
                  Well. I was able to track down three copies in town (there might have been more outside Honolulu, but I had a plan and I was sticking to it). And, sadly (or happily, I guess), there were three people on my list to whom I wanted to give this as Christmas gifts. So I gave them all away and don't have my own copy. I figure I can get one later.

Still infatuated.
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Amazon.com have their CDs.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Half.com has one of their CDs.

Comment

They're on Jay Leno...RIGHT NOW! Awesome!

Comment

I got the combined CD and DVD video set yesterday; bought in mainly on the links shared in this thread. Great intensives and somewhat relaxing acoustic music. I also liked the video performances, interview feature and even the tutorial on how they play the guitar. I don't play and they make it look easy, but I am sure it is not! Their approach to guitar is somewhat different in that they also use it as a percussion instrument. Strange but interesting.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

They made a live appearance on KBCS radio here last August, and the station has it available as a podcast.

Comment

i was sort of half awake but i totally saw jake shimbukuro on last call with carson daily last week when i was on the mainland. he's like a regular in the house band. and the show has changed a TON since i saw it last. carson totally wears a suit now and acts like conan or leno. it was super odd. but yay, jake.

oh ya-- and Rodrigo y Gabriela is amazing..... amazing!
                              life is ok sometimes

Comment

Working...
                              X