Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hawaiians Are Haole when on the Mainland?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaiians Are Haole when on the Mainland?

Isn't it ironic that Haole is a name given to a foreigner to the islands and it has been used as a derogatory slang against white foreigners these last 40 years.
    Yet, when we(I) move to the mainland, we(I) are treated with respect and kindness in every city from San Francisco to Las Vegas and Minnesota.
    No one (okay 1) has every reported hearing of a racial slur or a derogatory name used to identify Kama'aina or Kanaka Maoli from the islands, when they move to the mainland. This message should get back to the islands that not every non-Hawaiian is responsible for the problems of Hawai'i.
    On behalf of all my brothers and sisters of all races, I wish you Mele Kalikimaka me ka Hau'oli Makahiki Hou!, and Aloha kakou.
    Last edited by kalanikane; December 24, 2006, 09:13 PM. Reason: typos

Re: Hawaiians Are Haole when on the Mainland?

Originally posted by kalanikane View Post
    Yet, when we move to the mainland, we are treated with respect and kindness in every city from San Francisco to Las Vegas and Minnesota.
    No one has every reported hearing of a racial slur or a derogatory name used to identify Kama'aina or Kanaka Maori from the islands, when they move to the mainland.
    Who is "we" in this situation? Cause you sure as hell ain't talking about my experiences.

While there are a lot of good people, everywhere is going to have a few bad apples. I've been the victim of disrespect and outright racism by individuals on the mainland. I've also met some of my best friends for life while on the mainland.

Kalanikane, you don't know what you're talking about.

Comment

Kala mai Palolo Joe, I should not have said we.
      Maybe because I am big, everyone is nice to me, or maybe because I have a good attitude.
      I have found people with a chip on their shoulder always want someone to knock it off.
      And people with sincere Aloha give you a chance.
      Wherever you go, strangers are not trusted right away and when you are new, you are self-conscious even when it's not called for.
      It was more of a discussion thread and I see it worked.
      I respect your opinion and based on my experiences, I do know what I am talking about.

Comment

No one has every reported hearing of a racial slur or a derogatory name used to identify Kama'aina or Kanaka Maori from the islands, when they move to the mainland.
        This statement is so ridiculous, it's hard to see this post as anything more than a troll, a Christmas gift in the form of a clumsy attempt to provoke people.

I've met some wonderful people in my travels around the U.S., and overseas. I've also met some absolute boneheads. Some people in Hawaii are closed-minded racists, as are some people on the Mainland. No one has a lock on stupidity, nor on tolerance and the so-called "aloha spirit." But I'll say this -- I'd rather be a "minority" here than pretty much anywhere else.

Anyway, kalanikane, we've been in circles a million times on Hawaii and Hawaiians and racism and haole here at HawaiiThreads. Spend some time in the archives. Some fun reading there. Meanwhile, this kanaka and his haole wife are going to bed. The keiki will be up at an ungodly hour to tackle their presents tomorrow morning.

Mele Kalikimaka indeed!

Comment

hmmmm...uhhhh...Nope.

I going moemoe.

It's Christmas Eve.

Good night.

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post

[snip]

I've met some wonderful people in my travels around the U.S., and overseas. I've also met some absolute boneheads. Some people in Hawaii are closed-minded racists, as are some people on the Mainland. No one has a lock on stupidity, nor on tolerance and the so-called "aloha spirit." But I'll say this -- I'd rather be a "minority" here than pretty much anywhere else.

[snip]
            When I lived in Fiji and was visiting an outer island or a remote area of the main island, I would sometimes find myself the only white guy in town. As you say, you get the whole range of tolerance and intelligence wherever you are.

Anyway, as I write this, most readers in Hawai'i will be tucked up in bed while I'm already half way through Christmas Day. Mele Kalikimaka to you all, wherever you are.

Peter F
            Cheltenham, England

Comment

Originally posted by kumukulanui View Post
              Anyway, as I write this, most readers in Hawai'i will be tucked up in bed while I'm already half way through Christmas Day. Mele Kalikimaka to you all, wherever you are.

Peter F
              Cheltenham, England
              I'm up Peter! Mele Kalikimaka to you too!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                I'm up Peter! Mele Kalikimaka to you too!
                Ah, of course you are! With over 6,000 posts you must be here quite a lot. Mahalo for your greeting and sleep well (eventually).

Peter F

Comment

This Hawaiian here often get mistaken for Mexican/Spanish because of my Latino-ish lookin features I guess.
                  I work in the wonderful world of retail so a select few of customers assume that I am Spanish and ask If I speak espanol or they start conversing to me in their language.
                  When I tell them I am 3/4 Hawaiian (which is a rarity) & 1/4 Filipino they are amazed on my ethnic backround. I am a rare find.

This Island boy who has been away from home since August 1998 still got the Hawaiian in him.
                  When I am NOT working I like to wear shorts if and when possible even when its freezin cold during the Winter Season in the bay area.

Comment

Isn't it ironic that Haole is a name given to a foreigner to the islands and it has been used as a derogatory slang against white foreigners these last 40 years.
                    Yet, when we(I) move to the mainland, we(I) are treated with respect and kindness in every city from San Francisco to Las Vegas and Minnesota.
                    No one (okay 1) has every reported hearing of a racial slur or a derogatory name used to identify Kama'aina or Kanaka Maoli from the islands, when they move to the mainland. This message should get back to the islands that not every non-Hawaiian is responsible for the problems of Hawai'i.
                    On behalf of all my brothers and sisters of all races, I wish you Mele Kalikimaka me ka Hau'oli Makahiki Hou!, and Aloha kakou.
                    bullcrap
                    I've heard all kinds of racist crap towards me

Comment

Originally posted by kumukulanui View Post
                      When I lived in Fiji and was visiting an outer island or a remote area of the main island, I would sometimes find myself the only white guy in town.
                      So you're a white guy in England, trying to speak on the experiences of Native Hawaiians?

I thought it was bad enough that we have people here armchair-quarterbacking from thousands of miles away on the mainland. But you take the cake.

PZ was right. You are a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                        So you're a white guy in England, trying to speak on the experiences of Native Hawaiians?

I thought it was bad enough that we have people here armchair-quarterbacking from thousands of miles away on the mainland. But you take the cake.

PZ was right. You are a troll.
                        Palolo Joe, kalanikane started dis thread. PZ was referring to him.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Indeed, PJ, methinks you got your kalanikane and kumukulanui confused. Kumukulanui, a.k.a. Dr. Peter Forster, is a brilliant fellow I've known online for over a decade, and he's made several thoughtful posts here at HT since joining only a month after we opened our doors. He was actually making the same point you and I were, rebutting kalanikane's basically ridiculous initial assertion.

Frankly, I think he and Aunty Lynn had the best instinct in this silly thread, and I'll follow suit and bow out after this: Merry Christmas, all!

Comment

Good eye, Auntie. Merry Christmas!

Originally posted by kalanikane

Yet, when we(I) move to the mainland, we(I) are treated with respect and kindness in every city from San Francisco to Las Vegas and Minnesota. No one (okay 1) has every reported hearing of a racial slur or a derogatory name used to identify Kama'aina or Kanaka Maoli from the islands, when they move to the mainland.
                            kalanikane, I think it would be better if you just spoke for yourself and your own experiences instead of making such sweeping statements on behalf of other locals living on the mainland. You need to know that racism is out there waiting right around the corner, or the day will come when you'll get false-cracked by a devout skinhead when you least expect it. I've experienced it, and I haven't been living on the mainland all that long, either. You just learn to deal with it and move on.

We also need to not confuse the word "haole" with "malihini".

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                              Indeed, PJ, methinks you got your kalanikane and kumukulanui confused. Kumukulanui, a.k.a. Dr. Peter Forster, is a brilliant fellow I've known online for over a decade, and he's made several thoughtful posts here at HT since joining only a month after we opened our doors. He was actually making the same point you and I were, rebutting kalanikane's basically ridiculous initial assertion.
                              *rubbing eyes*

Maybe I shouldn't have had that eighth glass of eggnog last night.

My bad Kumukulani. I was referring to Kalanikane, not you. Makes my previous post in this thread pretty pointless.

Thanks Auntie and PZ.

Comment

Working...
                              X