Flying Daddylonglegs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying Daddylonglegs

I saw this flying bug yesterday. It was mosqito-like except that it had super long legs that flailed about as it flew. It looked like part spider-part fly. It wasn't a very good flyer because it seemed its wings were too small for its overall body mass. It seemed to kind of float in the air like a fairy rather than dart about like a mosquito or fly. With its long banded legs it seemed take up a space about 3 inches around as it flew.

Anyone know what this is?

Re: Flying Daddylonglegs

Sounds like a crane fly - but I can't confirm that you have those in Hawai`i.

Comment

By any chance was the body of it had a brownish color to it? If so maybe it was a dragonfly. Maybe this article from Wikipedia might shed some light on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        Sounds like a crane fly - but I can't confirm that you have those in Hawai`i.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crane_fly

A google search shows that they do live in Hawaii:

http://www.bishopmuseum.org/research...yia_jacoba.htm

Oh goody. Another thing to get caught in my hair.

Comment

Yes, maybe a crane fly--but the legs looked even longer than the examples in the picture. I think I have seen crane flies before--at least some species. They seemed to fly pretty well--almost as well as mosquitos.

I think the wings, legs proportions are not quite right for a dragonfly.

The legs were dark-maybe black with light colored bands. It made the thing look pretty eerie as it flailed its legs like a spider.

Yeah, the wikipedia describes it as a poor flyer--might be the one! ..says the tropical species get big. If I had to name it, I'd call it the "Tinkerbell Fly"
          Last edited by alohatim; December 29, 2006, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
            Another thing to get caught in my hair.
            Ah, you won't have much trouble with them. Besides being completely harmless, they are quite fragile. You'll usually see them dancing around lamps, as they are drawn towards light (so, WORN, you might end up dazzling them with your brilliance after all.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              Ah, you won't have much trouble with them. Besides being completely harmless, they are quite fragile. You'll usually see them dancing around lamps, as they are drawn towards light (so, WORN, you might end up dazzling them with your brilliance after all.)
              LOL---feeling rather dim after working nine twelve-hour shifts in the last thirteen days.

But now I'm off for six.

Still don't want crane flies in my hair.

Comment

Working...
              X