Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riley Wallace leaving UH

Wallace, at Hawaii since 1987, to step down as coach
    Hawaii coach Riley Wallace will announce his resignation, effective the end of the season at a 1 p.m. (HST) news conference Friday, a source close to Wallace told ESPN.com Thursday night. Wallace, 65, was told by Hawaii athletic director Herman Frazier to make the announcement so that Frazier could get on with the search process, according to the source. Wallace and Frazier met recently and discussed the detailed language in his contract. In the contract, which Wallace signed three years ago, there is specific language that there would be no re-negotiation of the current deal. If Wallace were to be retained he would need to sign a new contract. Wallace signed the disadvantageous contract so he could get more money, a move that the source said he regrets.
    Wallace reportedly wants Bob Nash to have a shot at the spot, but suspects Frazier has his own plans.

Re: Riley Wallace leaving UH

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
    Wallace, at Hawaii since 1987, to step down as coach
    Wallace reportedly wants Bob Nash to have a shot at the spot, but suspects Frazier has his own plans.
    You're absolutely right, Nash is NOT in Frazier's plans. Herman has his own agenda, which is padding up his own resume when he decides to move on to "greener pastures."

Unfortunately for Frazier, he will have a difficult, if not impossible, task to bring in a "name" coach for the $300K salary currently being paid to Wallace. He will have to "step-up" to the $600K+ range to even get a sniff, despite all those alleged e-mails he claims to have received. His smartest move may be to name Nash as "interim head coach," or offer him a three-year deal as an opportunity to "prove himself."

IMHO. June Jones is "underpaid" as football HC. Remember, his contract with UH is only $400K: the other $400K is underwritten by several well-heeled boosters.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
      You're absolutely right, Nash is NOT in Frazier's plans. Herman has his own agenda, which is padding up his own resume when he decides to move on to "greener pastures."

Unfortunately for Frazier, he will have a difficult, if not impossible, task to bring in a "name" coach for the $300K salary currently being paid to Wallace. He will have to "step-up" to the $600K+ range to even get a sniff, despite all those alleged e-mails he claims to have received. His smartest move may be to name Nash as "interim head coach," or offer him a three-year deal as an opportunity to "prove himself."

IMHO. June Jones is "underpaid" as football HC. Remember, his contract with UH is only $400K: the other $400K is underwritten by several well-heeled boosters.
      personally I don't think Bob Nash is up for the task. That would be like putting Cal Lee in charge of UH football!

UH doesn't realize how lucky they are to have June Jones on board as head coach. Yes, he is way under paided for his success.

But in the case of Riley Wallace, yes the program needs change. It has stayed about five years to long with Riley. UH did the exact same thing with Coach Les.

Comment

Originally posted by Beachboy View Post
        personally I don't think Bob Nash is up for the task. That would be like putting Cal Lee in charge of UH football!

UH doesn't realize how lucky they are to have June Jones on board as head coach. Yes, he is way under paided for his success.

But in the case of Riley Wallace, yes the program needs change. It has stayed about five years to long with Riley. UH did the exact same thing with Coach Les.

By your counting, UH should have ditched Wallace after the 2001-02 season (WAC 15-3 regular season and tourney champs, 27-6 overall).

And, there still is a sizable contingent who think Cal Lee would have been a good choice for UH head coach ........ at least as an alternate to vonAppen!

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
          By your counting, UH should have ditched Wallace after the 2001-02 season (WAC 15-3 regular season and tourney champs, 27-6 overall).

And, there still is a sizable contingent who think Cal Lee would have been a good choice for UH head coach ........ at least as an alternate to vonAppen!

Cal Lee is no NCAA division one coach. He wasa great coach at St. Louis because Catholic School can recruit throughout the state. They are not binded by districts. Let Cal Lee coach at a regular school and I promise you his record would be no where close to his St. Louis record!

No, UH doesn't need another Larry Price running the show. Cal Lee would be moving the program in reverse not foreward. It has taken several years for Jones to convince alums and all other concerned that UH must recruit heavily outside the state if you wanna win year after year. This past team was one of UH's best ever. The defense had three Texans start in the backfield. We finally started to show you can't beat us easily by passing all over the field! UH is slowly started to have a good rushing defense too. A local HS coach could do that for Hawaii. Nor does Cal Lee have an open door the the NFL like Jones does. Look how many UH players have had a chance to play on Sundays? More than all the other coaches put together since Larry Price..

Wallace should have stepped down long ago. I'm not a Wallace hater, but his coaching style is so retro 70's. You know where the coaches screams till he's blue in the face. That style is out if you noticed around the NCAA, with the exception of Bobby Knight, and Riley Wallace. Why do you think it was so difficult for him to recruit good players to Hawaii? Nobody wants to screamed at in front family & friends in a game situation. That is why UH went thru that heavy period of Europeans & JC transfers.

Plus Frazier is gonna have dig deep into the pockets to find a deccent coach.

Comment

Anyone else going to tonight's game? I'm thinking the early start (5:05 pm) will allow more time for a final farewell of sorts at the end. Supposedly a bunch of ex players over the years will be on hand to honor coach.

Comment

I don't get the connection. Lee was a successful high-school coach with no experience coaching at the college level. Nash has been an assistant on a successful NCAA DI team for twenty years. Why do you say putting Nash in as coach would be like putting Lee in? I fail to see a single similarity. Wallace did his time as an assistant at UHM under Larry Little, too.

It has taken several years for Jones to convince alums and all other concerned that UH must recruit heavily outside the state if you wanna win year after year.
              Of course it's important to recruit outside Hawaii, but have you seen the report that Hawaii leads the nation in Division I football players per capita? No other state sends proportionally more players to DI programs than Hawaii.

A local HS coach could do that for Hawaii. Nor does Cal Lee have an open door the the NFL like Jones does. Look how many UH players have had a chance to play on Sundays? More than all the other coaches put together since Larry Price.
              I don't get what you're saying. A local HS coach could do it, but Cal Lee can't?

That is why UH went thru that heavy period of Europeans & JC transfers.
              That's one way to look at it; another would be that UHM got a jump on other programs by looking at a largely untapped international market (UHM is a great school for international students) where UHM might have a recruiting advantage. If you blame the coaches for the European players on the football teams, do you also blame the coaches of the volleyball, softball, and basketball teams who did the same thing?

Plus Frazier is gonna have dig deep into the pockets to find a deccent coach.
              I don't know that this is true. The UHAD didn't have to dig too deep to find Wallace, and he's the most successful coach in UHM history.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                I don't get the connection. Lee was a successful high-school coach with no experience coaching at the college level. Nash has been an assistant on a successful NCAA DI team for twenty years. Why do you say putting Nash in as coach would be like putting Lee in? I fail to see a single similarity. Wallace did his time as an assistant at UHM under Larry Little, too.
                If beachboy said "like putting George Lumpkin in to replace Jones" it would make more sense. But I understood what he was trying to get at. I say try Nash out for a year. It'll give Frazier more time to look for a viable replacement to coach Wallace. I would like to see former UHM assistant Jeff Law (coach at UH Hilo) come back to Manoa.

Comment

Working...
                X