Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Really Need Advice: How to Reduce Swelling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really Need Advice: How to Reduce Swelling?

Hi Family!

My face is really swollen from a broken nose. The doctor has me on Tylenol and says to ice it but does anyone have any good remedies to reduce swelling? I've googled and crawled and am not coming up with anything.

I'm going to die
    life is ok sometimes

Re: Really Need Advice: How to Reduce Swelling?

Awwwww...pua ting. My late husband was a former boxing champion. When his face was swollen after fights ~ ice packs were used. For me, I find comfort in heat. Rub in the Ben Gay and sleep.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by christa View Post
      Hi Family!

My face is really swollen from a broken nose. The doctor has me on Tylenol and says to ice it but does anyone have any good remedies to reduce swelling? I've googled and crawled and am not coming up with anything.

I'm going to die
      Ouch. So sorry.

Cold packs are really the way to go. If you can, get the nice moldable soft cold packs---they're a gel and can be nicely molded to the affected area. They're available at Long's.

Ibuprofen (Motrin) is a much more effective anti-inflammatory and much better at reducing swelling than Tylenol but there may be concerns with bleeding.

Give your doc a call and see if it's okay to try ibuprofen.

Comment

thank u so much!!

i've been using peas but would love to see if ibuprofen is allowed. oh man. you have no idea how much i'd like to look normal again. it's been forever!!

thanks again!
        life is ok sometimes

Comment

If not the blue gel icepacks, I've frequently found 'frozen peas' to be a very common MacGyver-esque remedy. As for the pain, I'm glad for WindwardOahuRN's note on anti-inflammatory properties... 'cause I just would've asked my doc for something stronger. There are Tylenol variants that make the stuff you get OTC look like jellybeans.

And... I can't be the only person thinking that there's gotta be a heck of a story here...

Comment

[...]My face is really swollen from a broken nose. The doctor has me on Tylenol and says to ice it but does anyone have any good remedies to reduce swelling?[...]
            Dang, Christa...this seems like a long time for you to still be suffering. Remind me when this happened. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Comment

couple days after my birthday (dec 21). you know what's strange... this is the second year in a row that i was tragically hurt a few days after my birthday. what's going on here.

but thanks sue. it's a lot better. cast and stitches gone... just... the... damn... swelling
              life is ok sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post

And... I can't be the only person thinking that there's gotta be a heck of a story here...

there is.

(maybe one day i'll tell)
                life is ok sometimes

Comment

couple days after my birthday (dec 21). you know what's strange... this is the second year in a row that i was tragically hurt a few days after my birthday. what's going on here.[...]
                  Aha...my memory was off. I thought it was longer. Still, one would think the swelling would be down after 12 days. WORN will be the best judge of that, tho'. I certainly hope you're not getting into an annual tradition!

Comment

I'm not too sure but isn't it for initial swelling you use ice packs but after the swelling stops and it's all pain, you're supposed to use heat to bring the swelling down.

Something about cold to slow down the swelling and heat to increase blood circulation.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

My Dr. always said alternate heat and cold, but that was for the back.

I didn't have ice packs so I took some vodka....and took a hammer to some ice...threw it in a ziploc baggy and left it in the freezer...stayed cooler longer than peas but more pliable than some of the ice packs...plus I always keep liquor on hand! j/k....
                      Stays cold...I made 2 and alternated...I just don't suggest adding a mixer or you might feel the need to drink them!
                      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                      Sharing withother survivors...
                      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

The best remedy is preventative. Next time, duck.
                        Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                          I'm not too sure but isn't it for initial swelling you use ice packs but after the swelling stops and it's all pain, you're supposed to use heat to bring the swelling down.

Something about cold to slow down the swelling and heat to increase blood circulation.
                          When Christina wrote about her broken nose I assumed that it was something that happened on New Year's Eve. I didn't realize that this happened almost two weeks ago! Yes, ice packs are good for the first couple of days or so but not after that.

At this point I'd take my nose back to the ENT and have it checked out again. There can be complications---sinus infections, hematomas.

Comment

For the pain you might also try some AWA. It's found in most Longs Drug stores.

Hope you feel better soon.

Comment

I like the vodka remedy
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X