"In Case of Emergency" on ABC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "In Case of Emergency" on ABC

The Wednesday night spot briefly held by "Day Break" -- ABC's mid-season filler for "LOST" -- will now be occupied by a second new series, "In Case of Emergency."

It stars Kamehameha High grad Kellly Hu as (wait for it) a disenchanted oriental massage "therapist." The premise is practically identical to CBS' "The Class": former classmates reunite after several years to discover how different their experiences were, and yet, how much alike they remained.

Network TV gravitated from comedy sitcoms to reality TV to serialized dramas... so I suppose it makes sense that the trend would again return to comedy. Anyone going to give this one a shot?

Re: "In Case of Emergency" on ABC

I'm sorry. What did you say after "Kelly Hu?"

(you know I'll be checking this one out!)
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I had the impression from the previews that In Case of Emergency was more or less was a medical comedy. A quick check on the IMDb says the characters were high school classmates.

For The Class the characters were in the same 2nd grade class.

As far as watching it, it's a guess so.

Comment

I'll bite. I really don't have anything to watch on Wednesday these days, anyway.

I remember being a first grader (I think it was around there) when Kelly won Miss Teen USA. I remember wanting to be like her then.

I had the opportunity a few years ago to meet her in person as her cousin is a close classmate of mine, and I wish her nothing but the best. I hope this sitcom really works out for her.
        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
        We're not here to mess around
        Boston, you know we love you madly
        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
        You know we couldn't live without you
        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          I'm sorry. What did you say after "Kelly Hu?"

(you know I'll be checking this one out!)
          man, you got that right!
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I went to elementary school with Kelly. She was a nice kid.
            "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Comment

happily, i can say the show is pretty funny. it's very clear that kelly hasn't been eating a lot of doughnuts!
              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Okay the medical situation for this series is due to a couple of the characters getting hurt in the course of this episode and they end up in the ER.

Comment

Meh. I guess I'm not a sitcom guy. Burned out on "Seinfeld" too long ago. Of course, tonight's "Pilot" was all setup, and no story -- kind of a waste, really, and probably would've worked better as a full-hour just to get the series going.

Still, nothing really stood out to me... they're all characters that are just about as clever and clumsy and weird as those we've seen a few hundred times before. And it's painfully obvious Kelly will not be showcasing any of her acting talent (not that she's really often cast for it elsewhere).

Comment

Kelly looked good. Hard to believe that she's pushing 39.

Comment

It's replaying tonight (Friday 1/5/07) at 8:30 pm (HST).

Comment

Yes. My new TiVo picked it up. Now I have to decide if I will marry LibraryThing or TiVo.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Okay, that didn't bolt from the chute like gangbusters, but it didn't suck. I like the cast (Greg Germann, David Arquette, Lori Laughlin, Jonathan Silverman, and our Kelly). I haven't seen The Class, so I can't comment on similarities. I do see some stylistic similarities between In Case of Emergency and Arrested Development, though, including the absence of a laugh track. I don't know if I'm glad or disappointed that there are no flashbacks to 1987, these characters' senior year (and mine).

The Silverman character is likable. I look forward to checking out future episodes.
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Based on their respective pilots, between "In Case of Emergency" and "The Knights of Prosperity," I'd take "Knights" in a heartbeat.

Yes, it's just the pilot, and most shows grow in different directions from that point. But pilots are written and aired first for a reason, most of the time. And frankly, the more I think about it, the "Emergency" pilot was severely hobbled by a basic structure problem. The episode was nothing but exposition, introduction -- who are these people, where do they come from, how do they know each other?

And that's all good and fine, that's what should be in a pilot, but that's not all that should be in a pilot. Any other show would've given what we saw in half the time alloted, at most, and spend the rest showing us the basic premise, the basic concept, of the show itself. Now that we've met the crew, what are they going to do? Either "Emergency" should've gotten a full hour to start things off, or the pilot should've been much more tightly edited than it was.

Instead, it's "different people come together in one guy's house," then "The End." Absolutely nothing compelling me to tune in again.

And I love how Scrivener reacted to Kelly Hu, because that's clearly exactly what the creators of "Emergency" expect and want from her. Which is a pity. I'd sure love to see her play... well, something else besides what she always ends up playing.

I might catch "Emergency" by accident, but unlikely, given the wondrous power of TiVo. At this point I doubt it'll finish the half season of slots it got... though given my track record in pegging "good television," that probably means this show will go for ten years!

Comment

You also have to keep in mind that these two comedy series just need to air at least 4 weeks. After that Lost comes back.

Comment

Working...
                              X