Moanalua Gardens saved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moanalua Gardens saved

An heir to the Damon Estates has purchased the Moanalua Gardens for about $5 million and intends to keep the gardens open and accessible to the public.

John Philip "JP" Damon, a great-grandson to the namesake of the $900 million estate, bought the 22-acre, one-time home of Prince Lot, who became Kamehameha V, for $5.05 million. Damon, 45, took title to the property Friday.

One of Hawai'i's earliest public parks, it hosts the annual Prince Lot Hula Festival, the largest noncompetitive hula festival. It also is home to the so-called "Hitachi tree," one of two exceptional monkeypod trees on the property that are on the National Historic Register. The tree's nickname comes from its use in television commercials by Japan's Hitachi Corp., making it a popular photo stop for Japanese visitors here.

The historic site has been operated by the Damon Trust for public use since 1924, but the impending dissolution of the trust has had many worried that it could fall into the hands of an entity that would be insensitive to its role as a place for public respite, disrespectful of its past, or both.
    This important piece of Hawai'i's past will now be preserved at least for awhile. I hope that the new owner can work with OHA and the State to eventually return the Gardens to the kanaka maoli as the gardens contain some historically significant dwellings like Prince Lot (Kamehameha V)'s home and was originally part of ke Ali'i Pauahi's estate.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Moanalua Gardens saved

Bravo to JP for preserving Moanalua Gardens! I love that park.
    Don't be mean,
    try to help.

Comment

Re: Moanalua Gardens saved

Wow! Dat is AWESOME!!!!

I remember from way back ~ picnics with my Ohana. I also remember of times when we were able to go fishing in the creek. Moanalua Gardens is beautiful. I've been to several Family Weddings over da years dat were held there. If I were to get married AGAIN, I'd like to have mine there too....but it ain't gonna be soon.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
      X