X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squid or Octopus in Luau?

K-den. I hope this works. My first Poll on HT.heheheh

What say you people?

Our odda Food Expert says Octopus (TAKO) Taste betta in Luau den Squid. I say it's Squid cause it's wat it's named afta and wat it's suppose to be "made" with! hahahaha

Auntie Lynn
    Squid
    33.33%
    Octopus
    66.67%
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Re: Squid or Octopus in Luau?

Auntie, you wen' forget odda' kine options 'kine stuffs in your poll like..

- All of the above (which should cover the legal "squid" name issue)
    - None of the above, I prefer Chicken or _________ Luau.

I 'tink when I make my samples tomorrow, I going try make some variations like "Pork Luau" "Ahi Luau" and "Beef Luau".. Anybody when evah wen' try make dat o' what?

Wow.. dis is getting intense!
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
      Auntie, you wen' forget odda' kine options 'kine stuffs in your poll like..

- All of the above (which should cover the legal "squid" name issue)
      - None of the above, I prefer Chicken or _________ Luau.

I 'tink when I make my samples tomorrow, I going try make some variations like "Pork Luau" "Ahi Luau" and "Beef Luau".. Anybody when evah wen' try make dat o' what?

Wow.. dis is getting intense!
      heheheh

Eh! No grumble! Why neva wake-up moa early and make um!

I dunno how to fix um.

Hmmmm...maybe Admin. can cause Helen ain't gonna do it. hahahah

Juss stick to the two dishes. Squid and Octopus!

Auntie Lynn

P.S. No forget da POI and Da Poke Aku w/ Limu!

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
        Eh! No grumble! Why neva wake-up moa early and make um!
        Whoah (wow!), da' (the) preshah (pressure). lol (laughing). Take (It takes) mo' (more) 'den (than) one owah' (hour) fo' (to) boil da' (the) Luau (Taro) leaves!
        Last edited by Pomai; January 6, 2007, 03:38 AM.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
          Whoah, da' preshah (pressure). lol Take mo' 'den one owah' fo' boil da' Luau leaves!
          Pomai, Wat kine cook you? I never take one owah any moa. All I do is go Times Liliha in the Frozen Section and grab several frozen bags of "Luau Leaves!" Moa easy, less mess ~ same taste brah!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I dunno how to fix um.

Hmmmm...maybe Admin. can cause Helen ain't gonna do it. hahahah
            Once you make a poll you can't change it. And as for me it's not the fact that I ain't gonna do it, it's because I can't do it. You know like it's not part of my superpowers (can bend steel but no can fly).

As far as squid or octopus in Luau I never encounted it before. I do eat calamari but that is something I started to eat in my latter years.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
              Once you make a poll you can't change it. And as for me it's not the fact that I ain't gonna do it, it's because I can't do it. You know like it's not part of my superpowers (can bend steel but no can fly).
              No ACK!!! You CAN fly ROCKETS...You can FLY!!!!

You got SUPERPOWERS HELEN!!!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I didn't know that people actually used squid in squid luau.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
                  I didn't know that people actually used squid in squid luau.
                  There is a DIFFERENCE!

Squid are a large, diverse group of marine cephalopods. Like all cephalopods, squid are distinguished by having a distinct head, bilateral symmetry, a mantle, and arms; squid, like cuttlefish, have eight arms and two tentacles arranged in pairs.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squid

The octopus (Greek Ὀκτάπους, 'eight-legs') is a cephalopod of the order Octopoda that inhabits many diverse regions of the ocean, especially coral reefs. The term may also refer to only those creatures in the genus Octopus. In the larger sense, there are 289 different octopus species, which is over one-third of the total number of cephalopod species.
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octopus

Auntie Lynn

Comment

The problem is that many people in Hawaii refer to "octopus" as "squid" without really noting the difference between the two.

As to which one is better to use in luau, it's Octopus, even if we refer to it as squid. This is a no brainer for anyone that is used to eating hawaiian food.

My parents buy luau leaves from a farm in Kahalu'u. It takes many hours to boil the luau down to just the right consistency. It's a tedious process but it you want to make the best squid luau, you have to have patience.
                    Last edited by Keanu; January 6, 2007, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                      The problem is that many people in Hawaii refer to "octopus" as "squid" without really noting the difference between the two.

As to which one is better to use in luau, it's Octopus, even if we refer to it as squid. This is a no brainer for anyone that is used to eating hawaiian food.
                      I must have no Brains and ALL my customers as well as ALL my Ohana cause I've been cooking with SQUID all these YEARS!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I must have no Brains and ALL my customers as well as ALL my Ohana cause I've cooking with SQUID all these YEARS!

Auntie Lynn
                        Feed it to hawaiians and ask them which one they like better.

Really, it's a personal taste issue but squid lacks the texture and girth of the octopus.
                        Last edited by Keanu; January 6, 2007, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                          Feed it to hawaiians and ask them which one they like better.
                          K-den. My birthday is next week and we're celebrating my grandson's 2nd birthday too. His father belongs to a Hula Halau. I going make experiment. I'll cook both kinds of Luau for dem to taste and let you all know. Of course, I'll have plenty odda kine kaukau too. I must remember to feed dem before dey drink bumby the experiment not good ~ anyting going taste good!!!

Eh! I always feed it to HAWAIIANS! Wea you tink I learned how to cook it? I learned it from a Naole a looong time ago the same time I learned how to cook Na'au Pua!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Hah Auntie yer funny! How about making sample for us?! I honestly never tried "calamari luau"... I don't think I have anyway.

K-den. My birthday is next week and we're celebrating my grandson's 2nd birthday too. His father belongs to a Hula Halau. I going make experiment. I'll cook both kinds of Luau for dem to taste and let you all know. Of course, I'll have plenty odda kine kaukau too. I must remember to feed dem before dey drink bumby the experiment not good ~ anyting going taste good!!!

Eh! I always feed it to HAWAIIANS! Wea you tink I learned how to cook it? I learned it from a Naole a looong time ago the same time I learned how to cook Na'au Pua!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
                              Hah Auntie yer funny! How about making sample for us?! I honestly never tried "calamari luau"... I don't think I have anyway.
                              You have my phone number. Call me. I invite you and your wife.

K-den...I gotta get ready. I gotta go feed my friends at Kaukau Wagon!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Working...
                              X