Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice, please-- sub. teacher looking to go full time

Hi all,

First, a little background info: I recently returned to Oahu to pursue a full-time teaching position in Special Ed. I applied to the DOE, passed the screening, and now am in the hiring pool. I've substituted here (just a few dates so far) and have a lot of years' experience working with kids, in particular special needs children. Note: I'm not yet licensed and will be doing a graduate program in SpEd; I would be what they consider an emergency hire because I only have a bachelor's at this point.

Can any of you offer pointers on getting on full-time? I've had two interviews so far, neither of which were successful. The interviewers were encouraging enough, but ultimately I didn't get either job... ideally I would like to complete the UH program while teaching; I'm eager to have my own class and get the hands-on experience.

Being from the mainland, there are things about Hawaii that still mystify me, and I am dutifully trying to learn the ropes. Any pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Re: Advice, please-- sub. teacher looking to go full time

Originally posted by iHeartHawaii View Post
    Hi all,

First, a little background info: I recently returned to Oahu to pursue a full-time teaching position in Special Ed. I applied to the DOE, passed the screening, and now am in the hiring pool. I've substituted here (just a few dates so far) and have a lot of years' experience working with kids, in particular special needs children. Note: I'm not yet licensed and will be doing a graduate program in SpEd; I would be what they consider an emergency hire because I only have a bachelor's at this point.

Can any of you offer pointers on getting on full-time? I've had two interviews so far, neither of which were successful. The interviewers were encouraging enough, but ultimately I didn't get either job... ideally I would like to complete the UH program while teaching; I'm eager to have my own class and get the hands-on experience.

Being from the mainland, there are things about Hawaii that still mystify me, and I am dutifully trying to learn the ropes. Any pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading.

What was your bachelor's in? I assume possibly elementary ed or some social science related field right? With the proper certifications and classes I would think you'd have an easy time getting into the DOE system especially with your background.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Keep subbing. If you're good, someone will notice it and WILL offer you an emergency hire, especially since you're interested in special ed. The thing about emergency hires is that they are at the very bottom of the job-offering totem pole, and while lots and lots of jobs do trickle down, they often don't trickle down until the middle of summer; some of my friends who got emergency hires this year didn't get in until school had been in session almost a month.

Keep subbing. Keep a smile on your face. Make it known that you'd love a full-time position.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        Keep subbing. Keep a smile on your face. Make it known that you'd love a full-time position.
        and sign that union card
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by iHeartHawaii View Post
          Being from the mainland, there are things about Hawaii that still mystify me, and I am dutifully trying to learn the ropes.
          It would help if you elaborated on what things about Hawaiʻi are so mystifying to you.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            What was your bachelor's in? I assume possibly elementary ed or some social science related field right? With the proper certifications and classes I would think you'd have an easy time getting into the DOE system especially with your background.
            My degree is in English, but like I said I have a lot of experience working with kids.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
              Keep subbing. If you're good, someone will notice it and WILL offer you an emergency hire, especially since you're interested in special ed. The thing about emergency hires is that they are at the very bottom of the job-offering totem pole, and while lots and lots of jobs do trickle down, they often don't trickle down until the middle of summer; some of my friends who got emergency hires this year didn't get in until school had been in session almost a month.

Thank you, this is encouraging. I know it takes patience, like most things worth getting. I realize it could be a few months until I get a position, and in the meantime I plan to keep subbing and getting myself known.

By the way, Scrivener, what grade do you teach? How long have you been at it?

Comment

Eleven years. Nine through twelve. Hang in there.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                X