Eggs & Things vs. IHOP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eggs & Things vs. IHOP

Back in the late 70's, early 80's I use to enjoy 'Eggs & Things',when they were on Ena Rd. They put more time into their service and food back then. Today, 'Eggs & Things', is a "rat infested" eatery that services the Japanese market these days. It's a shame that a once nice Breakfast place has changed into "GO AFTER THE JAPANESE YEN",mentality.
    On any given day there is a line waiting to get into 'Eggs & Things"?!? But that line is usually 95% Japanese! Talk about marketing!!!!

Oh well, as a kid visiting relatives on the mainland. My aunt & Uncle use to take us to 'IHOP', it was a fun breakfast experience. I now noticed that they are in Hawaii now(Kuhio Ave.). So next time I feel the need to eat out for breakfast, I'm gonna take my kids to IHOP for a pancake & waffle extrzavganza!!!!

I'll never go back to 'Eggs & Things', I don't care if they remodled the place. Anytime a "kaukau place" has rats in their grease traps...you know it's a place that doesn't care about it's customers!

Re: Eggs & Things vs. IHOP

They have another IHOP opening up at Windward Mall (Kaneohe). Not sure when the grand opening is.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be jam packed with people for the first few months after opening just because it's something new, so it's going to be a while before I try it out.

But you know, if you're like me and really love your breakfasts, I highly recommend Sizzlers and get the breakfast court. It's a buffet, so you never leave hungry, and they have everything that's considered "breakfast" food. For $12.99 a plate, I think it's worth it.

DD
    www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

Regarding the food, Eggs and Things hasn't changed much from the old days. It was okay before and okay now. I never was crazy for it to begin with.

If you hate the Japanese tourist then that's your kuleana but you can't fault them for having different customers.

Don't know the story on the rats. Please explain with more details.

Comment

Reminds me of the neverending stories circulated about various Chinese restaurants downtown. This restaurant has bugs in the spices, that restaurant "recycles" rice left on the table by customers... same stories, different kitchens, no doubt passed 'round by loyalists to one restaurant or another. Still, I too have personally seen iffy things... The old Kelly's Coffee Shop on Nimitz, Columbia Inn on Waialae. But it didn't stop me from going. And heck, the worse the stories, the shorter the wait for me when I decide to go!

Never been to Eggs & Things, but I know some locals who like it. We did drive into Waikiki just to try the IHOP there, though. Wasn't bad. Small portions, but clean and (for us at least) friendly staff. We weren't the only locals there, either.

But if we're talking chains and breakfasts, I'd rather have the old Denny's that used to be at Kapahulu/Kalakaua back.

Comment

Originally posted by Beachboy View Post
          Back in the late 70's, early 80's I use to enjoy 'Eggs & Things',when they were on Ena Rd. They put more time into their service and food back then. Today, 'Eggs & Things', is a "rat infested" eatery that services the Japanese market these days. It's a shame that a once nice Breakfast place has changed into "GO AFTER THE JAPANESE YEN",mentality.
          On any given day there is a line waiting to get into 'Eggs & Things"?!? But that line is usually 95% Japanese! Talk about marketing!!!!

Oh well, as a kid visiting relatives on the mainland. My aunt & Uncle use to take us to 'IHOP', it was a fun breakfast experience. I now noticed that they are in Hawaii now(Kuhio Ave.). So next time I feel the need to eat out for breakfast, I'm gonna take my kids to IHOP for a pancake & waffle extrzavganza!!!!

I'll never go back to 'Eggs & Things', I don't care if they remodled the place. Anytime a "kaukau place" has rats in their grease traps...you know it's a place that doesn't care about it's customers!

while we'd (eric & i) would freely admit that the quality of food at e&t has been inconsistent since their last renovation (resulting from the fire), i would rather go to e&t any day over the ihop in waikiki (to be differentiated from the several IHOPs we've gone to on the mainland). ihop kuhio was overpriced and poorly executed, and the service was bad. i'm sorry, but why go to a chain that can't do pancakes even a fraction as well as liliha bakery or wailana? on its better days, we say that the pancakes and omelets at e&t are the best on the island, and this is even considering OHOP, koa house, and cinnamon's. and the maple syrup? much richer in flavor than the fake crap on the table in different fake-crapola flavors IHOP provides.

i'd like to see backup on the "rats in their grease traps" story. did you read that someplace credible or hear it from someone credible?

as for whether e&t cares about their customers...their service is GREAT. it's attentive and full of genuine aloha, esp when compared to the faux aloha served up at kuhio IHOP.
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Beachboy View Post
            Anytime a "kaukau place" has rats in their grease traps...you know it's a place that doesn't care about it's customers!
            I prefer that over rats in da deep fryer.

years ago. I worked short order cook at Stewart's Coffee Shop. (anyone remember it? or where it was?) and da braddahs taught me to pick up food and serve it if it plopped on da floor. Every morning, we would come in, and just before turning on the deep fryers, we see all kinds cockadaroaches and odda stuffs i no like mention, sticking halfway out, head first, in da hardened grease.
            wheee.
            I brought my own lunches from home.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55 View Post
              [...]Stewart's Coffee Shop. (anyone remember it? or where it was?)[...]
              Hmmm...was that on the makai side of Kalakaua near the old McInerny's?

Comment

close but no guitar.
                at that time, McInerny's was fairly new.

Comment

I use to be a regular at Eggs and Things back when they were on Ena road. I don't go anymore not because of rumors or due to them concentrating on the Japanese Market. Hey! Great fro them if they got it going! It's hard in the Food business. You gotta do what you gotta do. I don't go simply due to traffic and there are other places nearer to where I live.

As far RATS? Plezzzzzzz. I have been in the Food Service Business many years and I can tell you the Department of Health will not stand for any rumor concerning RODENTS in any establishment. An inspector will personally come out and inspect the property himself through and through. I've seen it happen. Well, Chinatown is a completely different story. I betta not say NUTTIN ~ I may ruin your appetites at some of favorite places.heheheh

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I would DEFINITELY prefer, if I had to choose, rats in the grease trap to rats in the fry-o-lator.

The grease trap grease isn't going anywhere except out of the establishment, in theory.

Not every restaurant drains and replaces the deep fryer oil every day, though.

Ugghh ... the very thought of what Kimo described!
                    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

I think ET caters to japan tourists cuz if you ever passed by there....WHOA!!! CHOKE LINE!!! Madaswell after having breakfast, time fo dinnah yeah! Japan tourists must be reaoooo patient to wait in DAT LINE

Comment

An item in today's Windward People insert of the Advertiser says that the new IHOP in Windward Mall is scheduled to open February 5.
                        Finally.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I use to work for my dad delivering frozen seafood to all the local eateries. It was hard work and the the worst part is you get to enter thru the kitchen. It is funny some of the dirtiest kitchens have the best tasting food. Maybe it is all those 'extra' ingredients? AND some fine dining establishments that have clean dining rooms have the nastiest food storage facilities! I really don't think there is one restaurant on the island without a rodent/insect problem.

Regarding E&T.... I use to eat there a lot in the 70's I think it was better then. I just don't like going there because there was never parking! I have been to IHOP in the mainland. the only problem is I was in a all white town and he waitress was rude. She was nice to the white folks though. the food was OK. I like eating at the house of pancakes in the blackfield bldg.
                          Last edited by speedtek; January 17, 2007, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X