Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colt Brennan

Well, he had a great year at UH!

He's supposed to officially announce his plans for next year -- senior at UH or NFL -- on Monday. But he's said for a while that he's "fifty fifty" on going pro... which history tells us means, he's 100 percent going pro.

And today in an ESPN interview ("The Pulse"), pushed into a corner, he basically said he'd go to the NFL if he had to choose right that instant. He also said, later in the interview, that he needed to pick up a few pounds and intensify his training, again presumably to play for the NFL.

Can't blame the guy for going pro. Strike while the iron is hot, 'cause you never know what another year in the trenches will do. Just ask that young golfer from Punahou.

Go, Colt!

Re: Colt Brennan

I'd bet he's stayin...word on the streets was that he called his friend Matt Leinart for advice (and Leinart decided it's best to finish school--and this dude won a Heisman AND a national title).

what do you think, PZ? wanna settle this over Paypal?
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I caught some of that interview. I dunno, it sounded to me like he thinking of staying. Though it could be that I'm in denial.

Comment

Now this is getting wacky. Brennan called off his 10 a.m. announcement, moving it to 2 p.m. tomorrow. Of course, today was the NFL deadline, so he filed as eligible... planning to exploit the 72 hour grace period undergraduates have to take it all back.

Ohio State receiver Ted Ginn Jr., Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson, and Ohio State tailback Antonio Pittman also said they are leaving early for the NFL. Louisville quarterback Brian Brohm decided to stay in school.

But Brennan's non-decision decision today just about takes the cake. I have no idea what he's thinking. Is he waiting to sign with an agent, and a deal fell through at the last minute? Otherwise, this seems a lousy way to start one's pro career. If he's planning on staying at UH, though...

Comment

ESPN's draft geek Mel Kiper had Brennan as the #4 QB in the draft. That may be having an influence on his decision. He'd be chasing ND's Quinn, OSU's Smith, and maybe LSU's whatshisname.
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
            ESPN's draft geek Mel Kiper had Brennan as the #4 QB in the draft. That may be having an influence on his decision. He'd be chasing ND's Quinn, OSU's Smith, and maybe LSU's Jamarcus Russell
            I'd have this guy as the #1 QB in the draft. ridic arm strength, young, mobile--nothing but upside. Kiper's been off the past 6 years or so. IMO, Brennan has a dilemma: come back next year, gain weight, get stronger, gain some experience or go this year as the #4 QB. IMO, he won't get higher.

flickr

Comment

Argh!! He postponed his decision again! Now he'll be announcing his decision on Wednesday. The suspense is killing me....

http://starbulletin.com/breaking/breaking.php?id=5328

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                I'd have this guy as the #1 QB in the draft.
                Kornheiser and Wilbon think Jamarcus will be the first QB in the draft, since the Raiders get the first pick. Kornheiser, especially, thinks he's the real pick, regardless of who picks the first QB.

I hope they're right, but Al Davis loves his Heismann Trophy winners. He had Tim Brown, Jim Plunkett, Marcus Allen, and Charles Woodson, don't forget.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Jamarcus certainly makes sense as the first draft pick -- he's 6'6" and 275 lbs, and he can throw it 80 yards or so. I think they said he can also throw it 45 yards while on his knees, and over 30 yards while sitting down on the ground.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    Jamarcus certainly makes sense as the first draft pick -- he's 6'6" and 275 lbs, and he can throw it 80 yards or so. I think they said he can also throw it 45 yards while on his knees, and over 30 yards while sitting down on the ground.
                    That'll be a needed skill if he goes to the Raiders. I wonder how far he can throw it while lying flat on the ground with 4 defensive players on top of him?

Comment

I thought Colt already declared. At least that's what CNN said yesterday. If that's the case, I wish Colt the best in the NFL, although I still think it's a mistake. I predict that no matter what round he's drafted in, he won't even be a back-up for at least 3 years.

Comment

He did declare. But he has 72 hrs to rescind it.
                        Originally posted by Kahalu'u Kid View Post
                        I thought Colt already declared. At least that's what CNN said yesterday. If that's the case, I wish Colt the best in the NFL, although I still think it's a mistake. I predict that no matter what round he's drafted in, he won't even be a back-up for at least 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                          I hope they're right, but Al Davis loves his Heismann Trophy winners. He had Tim Brown, Jim Plunkett, Marcus Allen, and Charles Woodson, don't forget.
                          Yah, Al loves those Heisman winners, but no way he chooses Troy Smith with his first pick. Even Al's not that senile. Or is he? Hmm....

I heard that about Jamarcus, too, but it doesn't really mean much. IIRC, Kyle Boller got on his knees on the 40 yard line and threw a bomb thru the uprights during a scouting combine, which is impressive, but look where he is today: on the bench. And Ryan Leaf had a great arm and he's out of the NFL.

Having a bazooka arm is great and all, but it doesn't translate into NFL success. Having said that, I still agree that Jamarcus should be the #1 pick. LSU's a top program and he might be able to step right in and contribute, like VY. I'd rather take a shot at him with the first pick then Quinn, Brohm, Smith or Brennan.

As for Colt, I'm kinda inbetween. I'd love for him to come back next year, but wouldn't blame him for going pro if he's a sure first rounder. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see him being that great of a pro QB. Mebbe if he's in the right system.

Comment

Scouts and the media like to throw out reports like this. But on the real, when will a QB even have time to set and throw it 80 yards? When will officials even let a QB throw it 45 yards while on his kneeds w/o calling him down? When will you throw it 30 yards from your seat?

flickr

Comment

It's official...COLT'S COMING BACK!
                              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                              We're not here to mess around
                              Boston, you know we love you madly
                              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                              You know we couldn't live without you
                              Tessie, you are the only only only