Canoe exhibit begins at Maritime Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canoe exhibit begins at Maritime Center

Beginning this Friday, a special exhibit called "The Canoe: An Alaskan and Hawaiian Tradition" will be on display at the Hawai'i Maritime Center. The show opens at about the same time that Hokule'a begins an epic journey to Micronesia and Japan along with the new canoe Alingano Maisu.

The Hokule'a's journey to Micronesia will include a visit to Satawal, one of the Carolina Islands, to honor master navigator Mau Piailug, who taught Thompson the art of steering by the stars in the 1970s. Piailug navigated Hokule'a's maiden 1976 voyage to Tahiti. The Hokule'a will accompany the Alingano Maisu, a canoe built by the organization Na Kalai Wa'a Moku o Hawai'i, which will be presented as a gift to Piailug.

After Micronesia, Hokule'a sails to Japan, in part to celebrate the 1881 voyage of King David Kalakaua to Yokohama that led to the immigration of the first Japanese to Hawai'i.
    Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain
Working...
X