Japanese New Years traditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese New Years traditions

What are you suppose to do with a Kadomatsu after Jan 7th?

and what is the tradition of putting pine leaves (needles) and bamboo stalks on both sides of your front door called? also youre suppose to burn them after 10 days?

Re: Japanese New Years traditions

Kadomatsu are supposed to be disposed of by burning but if you have small kadomatsu and belong to a temple, you can also take it to the temple for proper disposal. If you believe in such things, you are supposed to dispose of them, though. It's supposed to be bad luck to hold onto them.

The pine branches and bamboo on both sides of the front door are kadomatsu. You can get the kind that stand on their own or the kind that are a bundle of branches and you tie them to the entrance of your house. I've been told in both cases (the kind with thicker bamboo stalks that can stand on their own and the kind that you tie to the entrance), the kadomatsu should be touching the foundation of your home and be at the entrance.

Comment

Adri beat me to most of it, so I'll add a couple things. Some people still extend O-shogatsu to Jan. 15, but the ritual bonfire aspect of disposal still applies. And yes, big or small, the decorations are all kadomatsu; sometimes consisting of pine, bamboo and plum blossoms (sho chiku bai) or straw.

Comment

Thanks. I burned it today. I guess the traditions from the old days was to hold it until the 15th. Modern times is the 7th. The guy i got it from told me 10 days, so i guess he's wrong.

Comment

Re: Japanese New Years (oshogatsu) traditions

Don't forget about the all-important culinary tradition known as Osechi Ryori, including the essential Ozoni, a mochi soup, and especially in Hawaii, SASHIMI!
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

My friend made me us the mochi soup. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X