Girl Scout Cookies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girl Scout Cookies

It's that time of year again! Whether coming to your door or staking out your local storefront, Girl Scouts are out pushing their delicious fundraising treats right now. And don't I know it -- my wife's the "cookie mom" in our daughter's newly formed troop, and thus, our living room is dominated by several cases of Girl Scout cookies.

One thing's for sure, people have their favorites. "Thin Mints all the way," says one friend. "It's all about the AllAbouts," says another. My wife is addicted to Samoas.

So, what's your favorite variety?

I had no idea there were so many flavors. The three universal varieties are Thin Mints, Do-si-dos (peanut butter) and Trefoils (shortbread). I think my wife has one of each variety offered locally, which adds AllAbouts, Tagalongs, Samoas, Cafe Cookies and Little Brownies.

Also, it's an interesting time for Girl Scout cookies. This year brings a new formulation to eliminate trans fats. I'd be curious if anyone can taste the difference. And it may be the last year sales happen in January -- apparently they're going to move back a month to avoid getting lost in the post-holiday blahs (which usually come with diet resolutions).

Me? Gotta go with the Thin Mints. They're the top seller, and that makes me conventional, but I can't help it. They're my favorite.

Re: Girl Scout Cookies

My favorite is Samoas too. Does your wife know that they made a Samoas ice cream? It's like heaven....like the islands.

http://www.dreyers.com/brand/grandli...p?b=112&f=2376

Comment

I don't like the weird implications of eating a bunch of "little brownies." That name was ill-conceived.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        I don't like the weird implications of eating a bunch of "little brownies." That name was ill-conceived.
        When I was in the Boy Scouts, I heard a joke based on that. But I'll stop right there.

Here in Hawaiʻi, similar thoughts also pass through my mind about the Samoas and the Tagalongs.

Comment

I kill the whole box of thin mints the moment I get'em. after that, I'm savoring boxes and boxes of do-si-dos and tagalongs.
          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Samoas = Sex in a cookie

Food of the gods.

Thin mints come in at a close second.
            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

I only eat thin mints. It's funny how they taste just as great even if they've been in the freezer for a few months.

LL
              -Former Girl Scout who can't wait to see the girls set up shop in front of the Salt Lake Safeway (conveniently by the ATM, I might add)
              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
              We're not here to mess around
              Boston, you know we love you madly
              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
              You know we couldn't live without you
              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Glen:

Your joke is probably the same as my all-time favorite, which I like to unleash at faculty dinners. It's wholly inappropriate.

(also a former Boy Scout)
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Having $700 worth of cookies sitting here, and ourselves spending way too much on daughters cookie sales can anyone agree.....

The Lil Brownies are just awful! I want everyone to support the GS when ya see them out there, but my goodness, tastes like Weight Watchers rejects! Thankfully we didnt selll to many of them-I would feel bad collecting 4 bucks a box for that!

Comment

I'm eager to try the box of "Lemonades" which I ordered from one of the local Girl Scouts here in the neighborhood.

BTW, I think what some of you are refering to as "Samoas" are known as "Caramel DeLites" out in this part of the country. I have no clue what a "Do-Si-Do" or "Tagalong" is...it seems we might have a different cookie suppler for the GSA chapters here.

Oops...I forgot to mention my favorite GS cookie, (which was the point of this thread, after all). That would have to be the "Aloha Chips" variety, which is/was a shortbread cookie with mac nuts in it. I never really "liked" them..I buy a box of them and maybe a eat a single cookie from the box and give the rest away. I bought them because they contained (supposedly) Hawaiian-grown mac nuts. Got support the farmers of Hawaii in any way I can!
                    Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; January 16, 2007, 01:23 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention my favorite

Comment

On Friday I picked up some Thin Mints, Tagalongs and All Abouts on the way home from work.

Some girls had a table set up in front of a tattoo shop, which I thought was great. I commented on how I'd never seen GS cookies being sold in front of a tattoo shop and they replied, "It's Friday and the Marines just got paid." How right they were - they were doing a brisk business!

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy View Post
                        BTW, I think what some of you are refering to as "Samoas" are known as "Caramel DeLites" out in this part of the country.
                        Samoas are the ones with coconut and are labeled "Samoas". There is no caramel in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                          When I was in the Boy Scouts, I heard a joke based on that. But I'll stop right there.
                          ROFL

yeah, lets leave it at that.

And I never ate a girl scout cookie in my life. Maybe I'll try find a group selling and buy one.
                          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
                            ROFL

yeah, lets leave it at that.

And I never ate a girl scout cookie in my life. Maybe I'll try find a group selling and buy one.

Cookie we're talking cookies here?
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by PoiBoy View Post
                              Samoas are the ones with coconut and are labeled "Samoas". There is no caramel in it.
                              If you would take the time to follow pzarquon's link in the first posting you would find this:
                              Samoas : These consist of a circular vanilla cookie about 2 inches in diameter with a small hole in the center, covered in caramel and toasted coconut and then striped with chocolate. This is one of the few cookies in the group that has differences depending on the bakery. The reason there are two names is because while similar, the cookies have some differences. Samoas are made by Little Brownie Bakers. They are circular, with an orange color and are thicker from top to bottom; usually they also contain more caramel per coconut. In some areas, they are called Caramel Delights.
                              But when you become completely self-sufficient, feel free to call 'em whatever you like.
                              Last edited by Leo Lakio; January 16, 2007, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X