Cleanliness is Next to Godliness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleanliness is Next to Godliness

So a date's coming over, or family from out of town is visiting. This means it's time once again to give the house a thorough cleaning. We're not talking the usual spot-clean affair such as a wipe here or a mop there, but REALLY getting into every nook and cranny. Surgical, military standards clean. You've taken care of the clutter, now it's time to sanitize!

Those floor tile corners in the kitchen below the cabinets that's been collecting nasty dirt, grease and what-not over the past month or more. The entire toilet, from the tank lid, all the way down to the base where it's hard to reach. Having chemical warfare on the soap-grimed and moldy shower stall. Then of course there's those darned-tedious windows! All those screens to remove, but it's the only way to do it thoroughly. Or do you?

Here's an opportunity to put on that white glove and discuss, vent or confess your (or your household's) housekeeping methods, strategies and habits.

-------------------------------------

It took me a majority of last Saturday-day just to do the windows alone. Gladly, my (visiting) sister is a neat-freak, so she'll surely appreciate and take notice to my hard-earned effort to provide her a clear view of Maunalua Bay. And yes, I'm venting!
    Last edited by Pomai; January 18, 2007, 01:15 PM. Reason: Verbal Housekeeping
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Cleanliness is Next to Godliness

Aunty Pua'i's "Sh*t! company is coming in 1/2 hr!" Power Clean:

Grab a kitchen timer! I kid you not, it is THE best thing $8 has ever gotten me.

I give myself 10min each room (parlor, kitchen and bathroom) and crank it.

Kitchen and Parlor Routines (each are 10 min, broken into 2-5min strategies of attack):

First 5 Min: declutter all countertops and table tops. Toss it or straighten it up. Then I go at the counters with windex + vinegar, because it deoderizes, disinfects and its smell quickly dissipates. Everything else that is bleach or pine oil based just lingers in the room, so I save those chemicals for the full-on weekend clean-up.

Second 5 min: vaccum and/or sweep. If I have an additional five, I swiffer my floors.

Bathroom 10 min:
    -remove all personal towels. Replace with clean ones. Hide the hamper in the closet.
    -wipe down all counters and clean the toilet, and sweep (this can be done in under 10). I keep those Lysol Towels under the sink for this purpose. If you can shave off the time from bathroom detail, allocate it towards the parlor/kitchen duty.

Remember, guests will loiter/need these three rooms the most. And, with a good hustle, you would be amazed at what can get done in under 1/2 hr.

pax

Comment

One word for bathrooms....

KABOOM!

I HATE cleaning bathrooms....give me the kitchen anytime, and I'll make it sparkle.

leave the paper organinzing to someone else....I'm horrible with that.
      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

I really miss my daughter! I'm such a bad housekeeper that every few months she would get disgusted with me & come over when I wasn't home & REALLY clean - including throwing out whatever she figured I didn't really need.

I'm only 5'2, so when the top of my refrigerator is dusty, it doesn't bother me cause I can't see it. Used to drive her crazy.
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

"Cleanliness is Next to Godliness"

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Here's my slant on this topic: Being a confirmed bachelor living alone, I don't need to impress anyone, so I don't do much cleaning.

In fact, I tell my family that they need to give me six months notice before they come to visit . . . not that they listen. My youngest brother is bringing his wife, daughter AND his daughter's friend in two months. They never listen. Some people's children !!!

When I do start cleaning my house, maybe I'd better consider that timed effort per room.

I'll clean, probably, my back bedroom and its bathroom for all of them to use; I'll not clean the front bedroom and the front bathroom because no others will use them, but me.

Yeah, I'm forced to clean my living room and kitchen / dining area . . . but I'm hoping the air mattress for the girls will cover a whole lot of sins in the former. Den no need vacuum . . . you know.
          Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

I enlist the neighborhood kids to help when I have too much to accomplish in too short a period of time. I get a "crew" of kids and then I supervise - I've found that if I join in the working, when my back is turned the kids end up goofing around. But, if I keep watch over them, then they work pretty steadily and a lot gets done.

It works for both indoor and outdoor chores. I pay well, allow water and rest breaks, but expect them to work hard. The formula of " expecting hard work + allowing reasonable breaks + me keeping constant supervision over them + paying well" can get most any project done in an hour.

I'd rather pay for some help than spend my whole day cleaning the house or yard. I'll do without a dinner out or other goodie and instead use the money to pay for help. And the kids like having a way to earn some fast money (an hour is not much out of their day).

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
              Cleanliness is Next to Godliness

It is? Damm. I'm going to the hot place then.....

Comment

I kind of found that pouring Liquid Plumber on the tub surface around the drain cleans away the build up.

Comment

heheheh

Daily cleaning is a must.

General Cleaning is a twice a year task. Especially, before our Annual yearly inspection.

Everything is strip and whatever's is put into bags and given away ~ not thrown. From corner to corner I make sure every inch is spic and span. Stove is moved to get back behind and scrubbed down too. Ice Box the same. Nothing is left unturned.

Having a clutter home is depressing. It's so much better to simplify and make things easier to the eye. It's so important to do daily chores so the build-up will not hit overwhelm you one time!

Cleanliness is next to Godliness? You betta believe it!

Happy Cleaning!

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I have a 11 year old to get on the knees and scrub every corner of the baseboards and floor. I think this may be the single reason I have children! So i don't have to scrub on my knees anymore!

I kid...HEY no throwing things!

My house gets a once a month thourough and a daily skim.
                    This summer though I did the cleaning once a week and left the rest except the kitchen. Because the mud and water tracked in was too much! 3 boys outside all day?? Who are we kidding here!]
                    I could clean all day and still have a mess.

Bathroom? 3 boys and 1 bathroom! DAILY....
                    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                    Sharing withother survivors...
                    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Working...
                    X