2007 Hawaii Music Awards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Hawaii Music Awards

Aloha kakou. For those of you who voted online in the HMA, I wanted to know who some of the artists are that you voted for, especially in the Traditional Hawaiian category. I have to say that I voted for Keali'i Blaisdell because I love him and he deserves all the support he can get. For those of you who haven't voted yet, I would consider doing it if I were you. Yes, nothing is wrong with supporting whoever your favorite is, but I would love to see him receive the award. He has a great voice, is awesome at playing ki ho'alu, is a terrific haku mele composer, and even sings leo ki'eki'e! Heard of him before?
    'Alika

Re: 2007 Hawaii Music Awards Discussion

Previous discussion of the Hawaii Music Awards:I don't take them too seriously, but they're a fun distraction, I suppose. So is "voting" open now or not? The website is a bit unclear as to whether it's started or if we're still just "previewing" everything. Says voting ends Feb. 12.

Haven't voted yet, but I guess I'd mention Pali, who just got a new album out and is headed by a great guy (and HT member). And if John Keawe hasn't been featured lately, I'd nominate him as well.

Comment

Yes, the voting started on MLK Day.
      'Alika

Comment

Gotcha. Man, that website needs a lot of work.

Anyway. I see Pali is in there for "Tribute," so they'll definitely get my vote for "Contemporary Hawaiian" (I doubt Henry Kapono needs my help). The Girlas and Darrell Aquino are friends to local podcasters, so it'll be tough deciding in "Adult Contemporary." I'll similarly back Kenneth Makuakane in "Traditional Hawaiian." And Waitiki is nominated -- albeit the only nomination -- for the "Exotica" category. Even though that means they'll likely "win" by default, I'll vote for them as well, as they're great guys.

If I can figure out how, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
          Man, that website needs a lot of work.
          True; I spent a couple of days in e-mail corrrespondence with their webmaster, because there were all kinds of problems with the page when it was first launched, and for a day or two. I've been told the problems are all fixed now, and I was finally able to get votes in.

Apologies to Alex, however - but I'm keeping my votes secret. Yeah, it's not like it's the Hokus or Grammys, but still...

Comment

Re: 2007 Hawaii Music Awards

I also voted for Keali'i Blaisdell for the Traditional Hawaiian category because I think that he deserves all the recognition because most of all I love him, I love his voice, he is a great haku mele composer, He is also great at playing Ki ho'alu. He deserve the award.
            I also voted for Steven Espaniola for New Artist because he deserve the award because he is also great at playing Ki ho'alu also.
            Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Oop. Found another podcast-savvy musician on the ballot, Steven Espaniola for "Ho'omaka" in "Traditional Hawaiian." So I've got to make a tough choice in that category, too.

Comment

The replies here so far have only served to confirm what I've felt in the past -- the Hawaii Music Awards are simply a popularity contest.
                At least with the Na Hoku Awards you have to actually be in the business and a member of HARA before you can vote. Even then, personal friendships can (and do) skew the votes.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by achow View Post
                  I also voted for Keali'i Blaisdell for the Traditional Hawaiian category because I think that he deserves all the recognition because most of all I love him, I love his voice, he is a great haku mele composer, He is also great at playing Ki ho'alu. He deserve the award.
                  I also voted for Steven Espaniola for New Artist because he deserve the award because he is also great at playing Ki ho'alu also.
                  Me too. Whoa, you and I are so much alike.
                  'Alika

Comment

Re: 2006 Hawaiian Grammy nominees

As for the Hawai'i Music Awards, they just announced the winners ---

Adult Contemporary: Manoa DNA Follow Me
                    Anthology: Kapena - Kapena Collection Vol 3
                    Classical: John Carollo - Ampersand
                    Comedy: Lanai & Augie - Radio Kings Back On the Throne
                    Compilation: Aloha From Paradise - Aloha Joe Radio
                    Contemporary Hawaiian: Pali - Tribute
                    Country Music: Ernie Cruz Sr. - Only Better
                    Dancehall Reggae: Zulu - Riddum Killah
                    Best DVD: Makaha Sons - Live At the Hawaii Theatre
                    Exotica Music: Waitiki - Charred Mammal Flesh
                    Folk: Peter Apo & the Rainbow Nation Band - My Back Pages, The Folk Years
                    Inspirational/Gospel: Misaki - Misaki
                    Hip Hop: Afatia - 5:54
                    International Hawaiian: Luka Kauhola & Kainoa - Kaoru Kainoa Blues Band
                    Island Contemporary: Kawao - The Secrets Out!
                    Jazz: Ginai - Jazz Island
                    Polynesian Island: Breeze - Gathering of the Kings
                    Pop: Keahiwai - Changing
                    Reggae: Ooklah The Moc - Koko Meets Ooklah the Moc
                    Rhythm & Blues: Lei - Lyrics From the Heart
                    Rock: Mark Coleman - Tunes With Love
                    Seasonal: Keali'i Reichel - Maluhia
                    Single: Steve Zuwala -Toes In the Sand
                    Ska: Upstanding Youth Still
                    Slack Key: Ledward Ka'apana - Grandmaster Slack Key Guitar
                    Steel Guitar: Legends of Hawaiian Steel Guitar Past Present and Future
                    Traditional Hawaiian: Manny K Fernandez - Hawaiian Memories
                    Ukulele: Brittni - Paiva Brittni
                    World Music: Emile Simon & Pierre Grill & L'Escargot - True Love
                    Hawaii Music Awards People's Choice for most popular New Artist -
                    1) Steven Espaniola; 2) Misaki; 3) Mana Poly All-Stars

Comment

Working...
                    X