Rotc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotc

My son is interested in taking (navy) ROTC next year in the 9th grade. What can we expect and is it a good program?
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Rotc

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
    My son is interested in taking (navy) ROTC next year in the 9th grade. What can we expect and is it a good program?
    All three of my children took Army ROTC in High School from 9th grade. It teaches them discipline, leadership, history, and many things not found in text books ~ Responsibility, Honor and Duty!

Each program is different. Mckinley High School has always had a large ROTC Program with lots of activities. The Drill Team is what my son was interested in and he won State Individual Champion in his senior year.

Today, many parents shy away from programs such as ROTC due to the conflict in the Middle East. However, joining the program doesn't necessarily mean a student is going to enter the Military. I know of many students who didn't but because of ROTC they are outstanding and productive individuals today.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Re:ROTC

My son sort of hinted that he may want to serve his country. Waiakea has a great Navy ROTC program with a rifle team and drill squad. I hope I'm not being a bad parent by supporting him in this.

Thanks Aunty

Flickr

Comment

Re: ROTC

My son sort of hinted that he may want to serve his country. Waiakea has a great Navy ROTC program with a rifle team and drill squad. I hope I'm not being a bad parent by supporting him in this.

Thanks Aunty
        Heavens no alohabear! You are NOT being a BAD PARENT! As parents, we must always support our children when "they" make their decisions. We may not think it's right and we may worry on what may lay ahead...but whatever makes them happy is what matters.

We've instilled in them Morals, Values, Spiritual Beliefs, etc. They have grown into well balanced young adults who unlike others will choose the right decision. Just be there when they fall for Life as you no know is not all Honky Dorey. There are thorns and each thorn makes each of us stronger.

Good luck to your son and congratulations for raising a bright young man!

His journey begins...

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Re: ROTC

I don't have personal experience with ROTC, but if your son has been dropping hints about wishing to pursue a career in the military, I would assume ROTC would be a very good path to follow, and your support would be valued.
          There are several ex-military who post regularly to HT; let's hope some of them chime in here as well.

Comment

If that is his wishes you should support it. For most of us older guys ROTC was mandatory and not an elective so most of us hated it. Most public high schools had it in the 50's and 60's.

Comment

Good advice ...Thanks all! My son is a good kid and I'm proud of him. I guess I'm doing a good enough job.

Flickr

Comment

Two of my brothers and I took mandatory Army ROTC at McKinley in the 60s; then I took mandatory Air Force ROTC at UH Manoa.

Like others have said, it teaches one about discipline & duty. Marching skills and rifle manual of arms were helpful when I joined, of course, the Navy.

One of my nieces, who's involved with Civil Air Patrol in Honolulu, is considering ROTC in a mainland college. I'm proud of her & I'm sure she'll do well.

So, only good thoughts here re ROTC.
                Last edited by Palama Kid; January 19, 2007, 11:19 AM. Reason: Had to mention niece
                Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

service was the best thing i ever did.

[sorry, strapped for time, but i HAD to say something]
                  life is ok sometimes

Comment

don't forget that in High School its actually JROTC. For college it's ROTC.

One good thing about JROTC is that if you complete it well you're in line for a good three year ROTC scholarship.

Even if you don't continue to ROTC, if you plan on entering the service with JROTC (or as in CAP and an Eagle Scout) you will come in as an E-2 as opposed to an E-1.

If you are a minor you can (with your parents consent) join the service under the Delayed Enlistment Program (DEP) and your Time in Service is accounted before even setting foot in Boot Camp. This "pre-time" is accounted for the back end of your enlistment. After serving your active duty time and you are given your discharge paperwork, you must serve 2-years inactive duty. If you have six months DEP your inactive duty obligation is only 1-1/2 years after getting out.

So with a JROTC background and DEP you can actually get in the service with Time in Service and one paygrade above everybody else.

Having either or both helps in promotions and getting to E-5 is the hardest when you first sign up especially in the Air Force.

If the military is in your sights for a career then as a High School student I would take advantage of JROTC and when you become a 17-year old Senior that would be a good time to consider DEP while in JROTC. When you enter Basic Training you'll be ahead of your peers.

BTW my 17-year old boy is interested in joining the US Army because he wants to help those out in the battle field as a Medic.
                    Too bad as a KSBE student he couldn't take advantage of theiir 100-years of JROTC experience that was disbanded back in 2002 because of their position on student admissions.

As a former USAF Peacetime Veteran I'm proud of him that he wants to serve our country rather than take advantage of it.
                    Last edited by craigwatanabe; January 19, 2007, 11:54 AM.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

You should be proud Craig, sounds like you raised a fine young man.

Flickr

Comment

Bremerton NJROTC

Aloha, and in our case GO NAVY (no offense)
                        Let me introduce myself my name is Lea and my husband is Cdr. Douglas Cook Navy Ret.
                        Doug is currently a Navy Jr ROTC NSI head instructor at Bremerton High School in Washington. Was the instructor for five years having started the new program at Curtis High School in University Place WA, and prior to that five years with Shelton High School in WA. Curtis High School was rated #4 and above in the world (yes there are schools worldwide that offer this program) for their unit through their ratings in their annual inspections every year placing them as Honor School all four years, Shelton was also rated Honor School during his stint as NSI. Doug was in consideration for starting a program in Kapolei Hawaii but the Navy was unable to start any new programs due to funding. We would still like to establish a program in Hawaii when given a chance.
                        We both feel very highly about the instruction that students receive in this classroom situation, in fact we are on our way on Sunday to Pensacola for a curriculum meetings of selected instructors to determine the plan of attack for the next school year, and Doug has helped to republish the current text that is used throughout JROTC.
                        Besides being an active instructor, with addition time taken out on weekends and evenings (and just about any other free time he manages to have) to hold drill meets, travel programs, color guards, Blue and Gold interviews, orienteering, and first to help establish the Leadership Academy at Whidbey Island WA, Doug also is a Blue and Gold officer for the US. Naval Academy and helps to place qualifying students into all of the academies, Coast Guard, Merchant Marine, Air Force, Annapolis and West Point. He currently has over ten appointed students (midshipmen, cadets) at these fine establishments and is a graduate of the Naval Academy himself. Doug has also helped many students into College ROTC scholarships and many into the inlisted ranks of all services. Luckilly the outcome has been outstanding.
                        For instance true story: One gal started ROTC in ninth grade, Mary was a GOTH CHICK, black everything including hair, nails, lipstick. She was extreemly quiet and sat in the very fron seat of her first class with Curtis High School. My husband at that meeting decided she was his challenge for that year and with correct guidance she fit in to all the high expectations of the unit. Black actually turned into Navy Blue and Gold and Mary ended up being Doug's commanding officer her senior year with close to a 4.0 gpa and one of the highest ratings on her admission exams, gained admission into the Coast Guard Academy and has kept her grades in the top percentage throughout the last four years at the academy. Her parents were so moved by the transformation that ROTC had on their girl that they are sending both Doug and myself to the academy this coming May in order for my husband to pin on Mary's shoulder boards at her graduation! Saying he made the biggest difference in her life than anyone else has. How's that for a thankyou?
                        I would be happy to have Doug come on this forum to discuss JROTC with anyone who has questions about any of the programs, he would gladly do so with pride and enthusiasm and perhaps diminish any qualms you may have in getting your youngsters involved in one of the best programs available in todays educational system. Please bare in mind, JROTC is NOT a recruiting program, it's a Leadership class. It's reason for being is to prepare todays youth for a healthy future. Unfortunately in todays educational system, especially public schools there certainly is not enough of that any longer. By the way JROTC is also available in some private schools as well.
                        Personally I can understand any second thoughts you may have, considering todays military situation, however JROTC is a program geared not only to the possibility of a career in the service but primarilly geared towards LEADERSHIP. He always stresses this fact. Leadership is not only needed in todays military force but in todays careers... period. Regardless of what your child may choose to do with his future. JROTC offers the possibility of learning how to gain this knowledge and get ahead.
                        I'm sure Doug would offer his assistance to anyone who would care for more information or have questions, either by email or on the forum. The best thing about the instructors we are acquainted with is the majority of them have the same goals for their units as my husband, altho a finer example of an instuctor you won't find elsewhere. Doug believes in what he does and he has always done it to his utmost.
                        My husband and his partner Mstg. Janice Brooks US. Marine have the best JROTC website online and you are welcome to visit at:
                        http://www.bremertonNJROTC.com/

The reason I came across your posts is due to the fact that I Love Hawaii and I run a Fan Appreciation website for Hawaiian Entertainer Danny Couch.
                        http://www.dannycouchfanaddicts.com

Comment

Bremerton NJROTC

Aloha, and in our case GO NAVY (no offense other services)
                          Let me introduce myself my name is Lea and my husband is Cdr. Douglas Cook Navy Ret.
                          Doug is currently a Navy Jr ROTC NSI head instructor at Bremerton High School in Washington. Was the instructor for five years having started the new program at Curtis High School in University Place WA, and prior to that five years with Shelton High School in WA. Curtis High School was rated #4 and above in the world (yes there are schools worldwide that offer this program) for their unit through their ratings in their annual inspections every year placing them as Honor School all four years, Shelton was also rated Honor School during his stint as NSI. Doug was in consideration for starting a program in Kapolei Hawaii but the Navy was unable to start any new programs due to funding. We would still like to establish a program in Hawaii when given a chance.
                          We both feel very highly about the instruction that students receive in this classroom situation, in fact we are on our way on Sunday to Pensacola for a curriculum meetings of selected instructors to determine the plan of attack for the next school year, and Doug has helped to republish the current text that is used throughout JROTC.
                          Besides being an active instructor, with addition time taken out on weekends and evenings (and just about any other free time he manages to have) to hold drill meets, travel programs, color guards, Blue and Gold interviews, orienteering, and first to help establish the Leadership Academy at Whidbey Island WA, Doug also is a Blue and Gold officer for the US. Naval Academy and helps to place qualifying students into all of the academies, Coast Guard, Merchant Marine, Air Force, Annapolis and West Point. He currently has over ten appointed students (midshipmen, cadets) at these fine establishments and is a graduate of the Naval Academy himself. Doug has also helped many students into College ROTC scholarships and many into the inlisted ranks of all services. Luckilly the outcome has been outstanding.
                          For instance true story: One gal started ROTC in ninth grade, Mary was a GOTH CHICK, black everything including hair, nails, lipstick. She was extreemly quiet and sat in the very fron seat of her first class with Curtis High School. My husband at that meeting decided she was his challenge for that year and with correct guidance she fit in to all the high expectations of the unit. Black actually turned into Navy Blue and Gold and Mary ended up being Doug's commanding officer her senior year with close to a 4.0 gpa and one of the highest ratings on her admission exams, gained admission into the Coast Guard Academy and has kept her grades in the top percentage throughout the last four years at the academy. Her parents were so moved by the transformation that ROTC had on their girl that they are sending both Doug and myself to the academy this coming May in order for my husband to pin on Mary's shoulder boards at her graduation! Saying he made the biggest difference in her life than anyone else has. How's that for a thankyou?
                          I would be happy to have Doug come on this forum to discuss JROTC with anyone who has questions about any of the programs, he would gladly do so with pride and enthusiasm and perhaps diminish any qualms you may have in getting your youngsters involved in one of the best programs available in todays educational system. Please bare in mind, JROTC is NOT a recruiting program, it's a Leadership class. It's reason for being is to prepare todays youth for a healthy future. Unfortunately in todays educational system, especially public schools there certainly is not enough of that any longer. By the way JROTC is also available in some private schools as well.
                          Personally I can understand any second thoughts you may have, considering todays military situation, however JROTC is a program geared not only to the possibility of a career in the service but primarilly geared towards LEADERSHIP. He always stresses this fact. Leadership is not only needed in todays military force but in todays careers... period. Regardless of what your child may choose to do with his future. JROTC offers the possibility of learning how to gain this knowledge and get ahead.
                          I'm sure Doug would offer his assistance to anyone who would care for more information or have questions, either by email or on the forum. The best thing about the instructors we are acquainted with is the majority of them have the same goals for their units as my husband, altho a finer example of an instuctor you won't find elsewhere. Doug believes in what he does and he has always done it to his utmost.
                          My husband and his partner Mstg. Janice Brooks US. Marine have the best JROTC website online and you are welcome to visit at:

The reason I came across your posts is due to the fact that I Love Hawaii and I run a Fan Appreciation website for Hawaiian Entertainer Danny Couch.

Comment

Bremerton NJROTC

Aloha, and in our case GO NAVY (no offense)

Comment

dcfanaddicts, Awesome! Fantastic! Impressive! But but three posts? We get the message!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Working...
                              X