Baby born on Kaho'olawe!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby born on Kaho'olawe!

This is waaaay cool. A baby was born on the island of Kaho'olawe this week according to the ancient practices of the kanaka maoli. It's wonderful that the Kaho'olawe Island Reserve Commission allowed the parents to fly to the island and give birth there. That child (sex undisclosed) will be a very very unique individual...no one else in the whole world will have a birth certificate that says s/he was born on Kaho'olawe. Perhaps this newborn will become a leader among the kanaka maoli after such an auspicious beginning!

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; January 20, 2007, 03:46 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Baby born on Kaho'olawe!

I had only heard rumors about this island but your article sparked me to read more. Very interesting history. They don't teach that in history books.
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

O wow thats pretty interesting. Born and raisedin Hawaii I dont know much about Kaho'olawe to be honest. They have hospitals there right? Yeah stupid question but id like to know... but I think thats amazing..

Comment

Originally posted by Ecntrc View Post
        O wow thats pretty interesting. Born and raisedin Hawaii I dont know much about Kaho'olawe to be honest. They have hospitals there right? Yeah stupid question but id like to know... but I think thats amazing..
        Um, no. There are no permanent residents on Kaho'olawe because there is no water and because of what the US government did until the 1970s (used Kaho'olawe, which is one of the most sacred of the islands to the kanaka maoli, for bombing practice, and there are still loads of unexploded bombs scattered over most of the island). The island was returned to the State and to the care of the kanaka maoli, who now make pilgrimmages periodically and have ceremonies. One cannot visit Kaho'olawe without permission from the committee that is entrusted with its welfare.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
          Um, no. There are no permanent residents on Kaho'olawe because there is no water and because of what the US government did until the 1970s (used Kaho'olawe, which is one of the most sacred of the islands to the kanaka maoli, for bombing practice, and there are still loads of unexploded bombs scattered over most of the island). The island was returned to the State and to the care of the kanaka maoli, who now make pilgrimmages periodically and have ceremonies. One cannot visit Kaho'olawe without permission from the committee that is entrusted with its welfare.

Miulang
          I found all that and more on wikipedia and other websites. Pretty detailed information.
          Since when is psycho a bad thing??
          Sharing withother survivors...
          www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I figured that. I was pretty sure it was use for bombing practices. My husbands ship when they did the rim pac in 04 said they blew bombs over there. Didnt know that there was no water but Im interested as to exactly how everything was taken care of for baby. Although probably wont know I was just curious thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X