Superbowl XLI: Bears v. Colts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superbowl XLI: Bears v. Colts

Time to split off the General NFL Thread for Superbowl XLI, coming Feb. 4 at Dolphin Stadium. Yes, it's the Chicago Bears v. the Indianapolis Colts. The Bears beat the New Orleans Saints 39-14 today, and are heading to the big game for the first time since 1985. The Indianapolis Colts rallied from 18 points behind the New England Patriots, Peyton Manning driving them 80 yards for the 38-34 winning score.

Any predictions?

Re: Superbowl XLI: Bears v. Colts

Damn, none of my teams made it.

GO RAVENS !!!

Comment

The AFC championship game was unbelievable. I hate the Patriots with a passion, so it was a blessing to see the Colts come from behind and pull off the win.

I haven't been so excited for a Superbowl game like this since the last time my beloved Bears played for the title (I was six). It's also nice to see Olin play in his first Superbowl game. Right on.

Bears will win by 2 TDs.
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I hate the Bears and the Colts.
        I hate it when people talk about Peyton Manning like he's the second coming. So i'll root for the Bears. But Brian Urlacer is still over rated.

Comment

I'm glad the Colts were finally able to win a confence championship, after having been there the past couple of years..

I think the Superbowl will be ugly with the Colts rolling over the Bears. Rex Grossman is no match for Peyton Manning. The Bears defense is good but not good enough to keep them in this one.

Colts 45- Bears 10.

Comment

Wonder how Mannings thumb feels??

It's finally the Colts Year. Pats kinda gave it away a little today.

Chicago won't be able to cover the short passing game. Play action burned the Pats today a couple times. Same thing will happen to Chicago. Urlacher and his crew are the best in the league....speed kills. But not in Miami in 2 weeks. I saw Harrison drop a couple gimme's today. You won't see that in 2 weeks.

Pitch and Catch football reminds ya of the heyday of the Montana 49ers.

Indianapolis 38, Chicago 28

Take the over and enjoy what is certain to be a "track meet".
            FutureNewsNetwork.com
            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Great games today.

Da Bears were clearly better than the Saints, though I'm a little bummed it won't be a Saints vs Colts Superbowl. I love Reggie Bush, but it prolly wasn't a good idea to point and taunt Urlacher and do that somersault after his TD. It seemed to fire up the Bears D, and they came back with a vengeance. And Urlacher's not overrated in my opinion, no matter how many haters are out there who like to spout that tired line over and over again. He was all over the place in that game. Personally, I think that "overrated" tag is partly attributed to him being haole. Usually, elite LBs in the NFL are African American.

Colts vs Pats: wow. Best game I've seen all year. I'm beyond happy that the Pats won't be in it this year, and also feel good for Dungy (the classiest coach in the league) and Peyton. Yah, it's kinda annoying seeing Peyton in every other commercial, but he's been given so much sh*t by the media and Pats fans, I'm stoked he finally got to the SB, and by beating his nemesis (Belichick/Brady), no less. The Colts showed a lotta heart coming back and I'm rooting for em to take it on home.

My prediction: 24-17 Colts. Super Bowl MVP? Vinatieri

Comment

No die-hard Bears fans, eh ?

Yeah, me neither. I'm going for the Colts, even though they're going to win by 1 TD.

Goooooooooooooooooooo Colts

DD
                www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
                  And Urlacher's not overrated in my opinion, no matter how many haters are out there who like to spout that tired line over and over again. He was all over the place in that game. Personally, I think that "overrated" tag is partly attributed to him being haole. Usually, elite LBs in the NFL are African American.
                  Urlacher is a good linebacker. But he's not ahead of Shawn Merriman or Ray Lewis. I still remember Urlacher being ran over by the bus. That's not supposed to happen to one of the best in the league. But he's in the super bowl so we shall see.

Of all time
                  1) Junior Seau
                  2) Mike Singletary
                  3) Ray Lewis
                  4) Dick Butkus

Shawn Merriman will up there soon.

Comment

Originally posted by PoiBoy View Post
                    Urlacher is a good linebacker. But he's not ahead of Shawn Merriman or Ray Lewis. I still remember Urlacher being ran over by the bus. That's not supposed to happen to one of the best in the league. But he's in the super bowl so we shall see.

Of all time
                    1) Junior Seau
                    2) Mike Singletary
                    3) Ray Lewis
                    4) Dick Butkus

Shawn Merriman will up there soon.
                    Well, if you're talkin about the all-time greatest LBs, that's a different discussion. I was talking more about the LBs still playing. Though, I don't see how you can have a top 4-5 list without including Lawrence Taylor in there. Derrick Brooks, Jack Lambert and Ray Nitschke should also be contenders. Granted, they were all before my time, but I've read up and seen old footage and they were all terrific linebackers (especially LT).

But I agree that Seau and Lewis were game-changing LBs in their prime. Especially Ray Lewis. His battles with Eddie George when he was in his prime were epic.

As for Merriman, I think he's a fantastic player, but the juice stigma will stick with him for a while. And as great as he was this year, he got pwned by Matt Light last week in their most important game of the season. Still yet, I like him a lot and think he has a great future ahead of him.

Comment

I'm not a diehard Bears fan, but I'm rooting for them. Olin Kreutz is a local boy, they beat the Seahawks, and those guys on SNL are fans, right?

Comment

Originally posted by PoiBoy View Post
                        Of all time
                        1) Junior Seau
                        2) Mike Singletary
                        3) Ray Lewis
                        4) Dick Butkus
                        That's a good list, but as Marco pointed out, you missed some good ones. Especially putting Seau at number 1 and leaving out Lawrence Taylor entirely. LT is one of the two most dominating defensive players I've ever seen (the other being Deion Sanders). As great as those guys on your list are, they did not strike fear into their opponents the way Taylor did. LT was like a jungle cat, pouncing ferociously upon quarterbacks (usually from the blind side) in a way I've never seen any other player do it.

There are some linebackers that were just a lot better than the guys you've listed, at least in this rabid fan's opinion:
                        1. Ted Hendricks. "Kick 'Em in the Head Ted" played in eight Pro Bowls, was selected to the NFL's all-decade teams in the 70s and the 80s. 25 blocked FGs and PATs and and 26 interceptions from a linebacker! Sack statistics were not kept in the years he played, so there's no record of how many times he took the QB down, but those of us who remember know it was a lot! Hendricks is also a member of the NFL's 75th Anniversary All-Time team, one of seven linebackers on that team.
                        2. Lawrence Taylor. Simply the best non-secondary defensive player I've ever seen. By a mile.
                        3. Harry Carson. Just went into the Hall last year; he made it impossible for Giants' opponents to focus on keeping LT at bay.
                        4. Jack Lambert and Jack Ham. I'll be honest: I could never keep them straight. All I remember is that the Steelers' LBs were the most fearsome part of those four SuperBowl championship teams that kept destroying the Raiders in the playoffs. Lambert, especially, was in on every play, much the way Ray Lewis has been in the past decade.

As for the "over-rated" Urlacher: it's possible. But nobody ever over-rates a bad player. He's a very, very good linebacker and if you wouldn't want him on your team, you're crazy. The fact that he was the only thing to be proud of on a bad team for so many years surely contributes to the hype; however, I think he's still the glue that holds that defense together. I think he makes those good Bears DBs better.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

considering that the Colts were down 21-3 during the 2nd quarter, I am rooting for them in the SB. Scrappy buggahs, dem Colts!

pax

Comment

How could I have forgotten LT.
                            But I wonder how LT would have played without the coke?

Left out overshadowed Harry Carson too.

1) Seau is #1
                            Seau is notable for his 12 career Pro Bowl selections and 16 seasons for the San Diego Chargers and Miami Dolphins.

Ted Hendricks was a great player in his time. But I doubt he would be able to hang with level of athletes today. So I take into account "all time".

Comment

Bears 21-17.

It's gonna be a great game.

Comment

Working...
                              X