ISO: college scholarship info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISO: college scholarship info

I'm helping eldest hanai daughter, age 21, search for college scholarships. She's passionate about education, is applying to get back into Fordham U. and will need all the financial help she can get. I found a lot of college scholarship web sites but am wondering if any of you have had experience with them. Good sites? Bad sites? What to look out for?

She's exceptionally bright in math. Actually she's exceptionally bright...period, of mixed ethnicity (a minority scholarship?) and has no parent in her life (one recently deceased, the other absent for at least the last 10 years...is there an obscure scholarship for that?).

Anyway...all input greatly appreciated!

Re: ISO: college scholarship info

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    I'm helping eldest hanai daughter, age 21, search for college scholarships. She's passionate about education, is applying to get back into Fordham U. and will need all the financial help she can get. I found a lot of college scholarship web sites but am wondering if any of you have had experience with them. Good sites? Bad sites? What to look out for?

She's exceptionally bright in math. Actually she's exceptionally bright...period, of mixed ethnicity (a minority scholarship?) and has no parent in her life (one recently deceased, the other absent for at least the last 10 years...is there an obscure scholarship for that?).

Anyway...all input greatly appreciated!
    This story mentions a couple of websites that do help match students with scholarschips (www.fastweb.com and the College Board website). Would she be willing to do work study? That's how I got some of the money I needed for college.

Good luck!

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks, Miulang. Great article. Just what I was looking for. I mentioned work/study but we haven't talked about it yet. My youngest daughter paid for part of her Semester at Sea thru w/s. She ended up in the A/V dept. because of her experience working for me when she was in high school! She has a great story about trying to steady the camera on board the ship at the onset of a typhoon! The husband of the A/V dept. head grabbed my daughter and hung on to her as the ship came within 3 degrees of capsizing...twice!

Comment

Rotary chapters offer substantial college scholarship opportunities. Also, as was in my case, once you're enrolled, departmental scholarships are more easily within reach. As a "nontraditional" student (in my 30s), I was able to write my way to win scholarships from UH's sociology, journalism, history and womens' studies departments. I paid for my second semester there (first was paid for in part by Rotary); and from then on keeping my GPA up and taking plenty of writing-intensive classes helped me secure the rest of the money I needed.
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
        X