Victimless Crime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victimless Crime

Do you think a crime requires jail time if there is no victim? I believe victimless crimes( like getting caught smoking pot or prostitution) crowd the courts and jails. Why do actions society finds morally unacceptable wrong? Who are we to judge others?

I feel people like Genarlow Wilson do not deserve to be in jail and that is why I wrote this thread.

Genarlow Wilson loves reading mystery novels and can’t wait for the next Harry Potter book. The 20-year-old former high school football player and honor student works in a library, the perfect job for a young bookworm. Unfortunately, that is where the good news ends and a genuine horror story of this country’s legal system begins.

The library in Georgia where Mr. Wilson works is in prison. He is two years into a sentence for engaging in consensual oral sex with a 15-year-old girl at a New Year’s Eve party when he was 17. He won’t be eligible for parole until he has served 10 years, essentially sacrificing his remaining youth to an obvious miscarriage of justice.

As Shaila Dewan reported in The Times this week, Mr. Wilson has been convicted of aggravated child molestation even though he and the girl were both minors at the time. Even if he could win an early release, Mr. Wilson could not go home to his family. He would have to register as a sex offender and would be prohibited from living with his 8-year-old sister. It is all the more disgraceful because the Georgia Supreme Court last week refused to hear his appeal. What makes this case more absurd is that if Mr. Wilson and the young woman had sexual intercourse, he would have been guilty only of a misdemeanor and not required to register as a sex offender, thanks to a provision in the law meant to avoid just this type of draconian punishment for consensual youthful indiscretions, the “Romeo and Juliet” exception. And since Mr. Wilson’s conviction, the law has been changed to exempt oral sex as well. But the courts say that can’t help Mr. Wilson retroactively.
    Last edited by alohabear; January 26, 2007, 05:26 AM.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Victimless Crime

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
    Do you think a crime requires jail time if there is no victim? I believe victimless crimes( like getting caught smoking pot or prostitution) crowd the courts and jails. Why do actions society finds morally unacceptable wrong? Who are we to judge others?

I feel people like Genarlow Wilson do not deserve to be in jail and that is why I wrote this thread.
    I believe "lesser" crimes such as so called "victimless" crimes don't need jail. Jail time for these folks waste taxpayer's money and introduces these petty criminals to hookups with the bigger fish in the jails. Rather, crimes like these deserve corporal punishment. Nothing more humiliating and remindful of your actions then a good old fashion caning in the public square, aka Aloha Stadium, complete with food booths for the event.

Comment

I read the article. How SAD for a young man to be in a situation like that. But it is the responsibility of us as parents to teach and instill into our children the importance of what can happen if they engage in activities NOT in accordance with the LAW. In essence ~ think before you do something!!!

Yes...it is hard. I, myself have been guilty of doing things which could have gotten me incarcerated. I was fortunate I didn't. Still, it doesn't make it right. I guess das why I made it even more clearer to my own children how one's decision can affect one's life.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

but are so-called "victimless" crimes really that? the examples like pot smoking and prostitutions have somewhat obscure consequences that could devastate society and the individuals involved.
        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I don't understand why the girl did not go to jail also.

Girls always get away with everything.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
            I don't understand why the girl did not go to jail also.

Girls always get away with everything.
            She was the "Child!"
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

There is a great updated article that explains exactly what the "crime" was, and what is currently going on to correct the overly aggressive sentencing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/etick...ry?page=wilson

Of interest in this case, upon reviewing the details revealed in the article it is evident that it "should have been anticipated" by the parents that the lifestyle of the particular group of kids involved was not going to lead to anything but problems!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                but are so-called "victimless" crimes really that? the examples like pot smoking and prostitutions have somewhat obscure consequences that could devastate society and the individuals involved.
                Why isn't society devastated already then? Individuals are allowed to destroy themselves in a free society.
                “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

How does hurting only yourself devastate society? Sure if you have to steal to support a drug habit, it can hurt others, but then the crime has a victim.

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
                    Why isn't society devastated already then? Individuals are allowed to destroy themselves in a free society.
                    You don't think society has taken a turn for the worse with airports that now screen you like you're a convict, priests you can't trust, teachers you gotta keep an eye out, metal detectors at schools, safe Trick-O-Treating is done in malls instead of neighborhoods, etc?

How does hurting only yourself devastate society? Sure if you have to steal to support a drug habit, it can hurt others, but then the crime has a victim.
                    So if you spiral down into a drug habit and let's say you got money to pay for it so you don't steal, you're not hurting your family, friends? What if you're driving high and you end up plowing through a crowd of people? I guess you can say THEN there are victims, but you wish to wait till that moment? And the fact that you are buying drugs means you are financing drug dealers and cartels for their nefarious affairs that do indeed have victims. You can't buy crack like the way you pick up a six pack at Safeway.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree
                      So if you spiral down into a drug habit and let's say you got money to pay for it so you don't steal, you're not hurting your family, friends? What if you're driving high and you end up plowing through a crowd of people? I guess you can say THEN there are victims, but you wish to wait till that moment? And the fact that you are buying drugs means you are financing drug dealers and cartels for their nefarious affairs that do indeed have victims. You can't buy crack like the way you pick up a six pack at Safeway.
                      But if your could buy it like a 6 pack , would it be any worse than drinking a beer?

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                        She was the "Child!"
                        But isn't he a child too at 17?

But if your could buy it like a 6 pack , would it be any worse than drinking a beer?
                        I would say on the macroscopic level, it would not be any worse than beer because then, I assume the crack is produced in a company, following FDA guidelines etc. No armed men making illegal border crossings, killing border agents, etc.

But on a personal level, I would say it could be worse. I'm no doctor but I'm assuming crack does more biological damage than beer does.

Comment

Ohhh I smell a moral debate stewing in them words...and I'm gonna stay outta this one because EVERYONE HERE KNOWS the road I take on these issues.

But regarding the punishment in this particular case, it's Georgia! You know Bible belt state? Morals blah blah blah.

When I lived in conservative Idaho back in the late 70's one guy was given a life sentence for child molestation. Another guy raped and killed a convenience store employee and got 14-years. The talk around town was that the child molestor shoud've killed that girl and he'd have gotten off with a lighter sentence.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

you hurt yourself, you become mentally or even physically unable to contribute to society as:

1) a taxpaying member of the workforce
                            2) a parent

then you become:

1) a burden on an already overladen social security system
                            2) someone in need of state assistance in mental health. the money allocated for this should be spent on those with degenerative disorders--not avoidable stuff like gettin fried on acid, coke, etc.

the question you ask (in bold) is typical of the "victimless criminals" in question.
                            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                              You don't think society has taken a turn for the worse with airports that now screen you like you're a convict, priests you can't trust, teachers you gotta keep an eye out, metal detectors at schools, safe Trick-O-Treating is done in malls instead of neighborhoods, etc?
                              you hurt yourself, you become mentally or even physically unable to contribute to society as:

1) a taxpaying member of the workforce
                              2) a parent

then you become:

1) a burden on an already overladen social security system
                              2) someone in need of state assistance in mental health. the money allocated for this should be spent on those with degenerative disorders--not avoidable stuff like gettin fried on acid, coke, etc.

the question you ask (in bold) is typical of the "victimless criminals" in question.

Nothing to do with pot smokers or hookers.
                              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Working...
                              X