Interisland Moving Company Scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interisland Moving Company Scam

well the time finally arrived. In a matter of days I'm off to Puna to start my new life! But first I thought I'd share with you my moving experiences so others don't make the same fatal mistakes that I made!

If I could remove my leg for the sole purpose of kicking myself in the arse I would! I know "southkona's" words are ringing in my head too! As I rwrite these words down. "SouthKona" had the right idea! Do the work yourself,and watch the money you save. With that ringing in my head, let me share with you my experiece with a local moving company.

All moving done between interislands between moving company and customer is state regulated(BFD!). Let me start by saying that my house in Kapahulu is pretty small, less than 700 sq;ft. of living space. I left behind anything made of wood(dressers,tables,bookshelves,etc,etc..). I also left behind my king size bed. I did what "Aunty Tutu"suggested too, I shipped every book in this house by US Postal Service.
    Let me go back a little bit first, so before all this takes place I have a guy come out and do what I called a "guesstimate" as to how much it cost. His estimate was $2400.00 give or take a little. when I asked him how accurate he was....he looked at me and said "I've been doing this for over 18 years"! So I figured I was somewhat okay. Mind you $2400.00 loss for anything is not easily taken . But two days after company came and got my stuff they called yesterday saying actual cost owuld be $3300.00 and some change!!!!

I know they have me by the "short hairs", but this just seems like a scam! No customers are around when the actual scaling takes place at the docks,so we have no wasy of actually knowing if we been had or not? Has anybody else experiece anything similiar this this nightmare? If so any solutions?

I AM SO PISSED!!!!

Re: Interisland Moving Company Scam

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Unfortunately, things like that happen all too often. Up here, a company was shut down and its owners were thrown in jail because they overcharged customers and held their belongings hostage when the customers refused to pay.

You have to remember that an "estimate" is not the final price. It's very possible that some of the things you had moved weighed more than what the guy who came out to see you estimated. Short of actually knowing ahead of time what the weights were of the things you had shipped, I don't think you can do much except complain.

You could file a complaint with the State Public Utilities Commission, which regulates household moving companies. They might have a file already started on that moving company. But you still have to pay the amount they billed you for, or you're not going to get your belongings back!

465 South King St., Room 103
    Honolulu, HI 96813
    808-586-2020
    Fax: 808-586-2066
    E-mail: Hawaii.PUC@hawaii.gov
    www.hawaii.gov/budget/puc/

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

that is what i mean "having me by the shorthairs', I gotta pay. But on top of this $1000.00 light estimate, I have to pay milage on the other end too from Hilo to Puna!!

Comment

Originally posted by Beachboy View Post
        that is what i mean "having me by the shorthairs', I gotta pay. But on top of this $1000.00 light estimate, I have to pay milage on the other end too from Hilo to Puna!!
        Was that all spelled out in the terms of the contract you signed, though?

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Oh-Oh, Beachboy, they probably DO have you in their grip. But if they "under estimated" your cost by the 1/3 that you calculated, you might be able to do some negotiation with them. Does your contract have a clause that limits how much over the estimate they can go (something similar to car repairs that need an OK if going much above the estimate)?

Sadly, you might be stuck on the shipping costs. In any case, be sure to check with a knowledgeable tax person, because if you think it through correctly (before you file your 2007 taxes), you probably can come up with this being tax deductible. That will help take the bit out of it. But make sure you get qualified advice, not just something from an aunty or uncle who does taxes on the side.

Comment

sadly had I listened to you 'southkona' instead of listening to my backache, then perhaps I wouldn't be going throught this "moving nightmare".

Funny you should ask about contracts,because no contract was ever presented to me! Everything was orally done,nothing was signed! Upon writing this thread, I got up and retrived their company folder. Here are some added expenses i was charged bythe moving company 'ALOHA INTERNATIONAL':

1.)Mattress Cartons (twin size)1............................................ ......:$49.95

2.)Per Bundle (Paper Pads)3.5 used.............................................: $302.85

3.) Tape(for wrapping items)6 rolls at $32.70................................:$32.70

on top of all this I have to pay mileage($3.70 per mile)roughly around $85.00 to have my stuff delievered. Keep in mind I packed everything too! If I had them pack my stuff, it would have cost me an arm and a leg. As it is, I'm only losing an arm and my ego is damaged for not listening to others on this matter.
            But I will do what you suggested 'SoutKona', I will look for that tax break when filing next year.
            I'm also gonna call the company today and ask that they at least eat the mileage for me.

All the money I thought I'd save by moving early to this "free" house in HPP is now gone thru my moving experience!

Comment

sadly had I listened to you 'southkona' instead of listening to my backache, then perhaps I wouldn't be going throught this "moving nightmare".

Funny you should ask about contracts,because no contract was ever presented to me! Everything was orally done,nothing was signed! Upon writing this thread, I got up and retrived their company folder. Here are some added expenses i was charged bythe moving company 'ALOHA INTERNATIONAL':

1.)Mattress Cartons (twin size)1............................................ ......:$49.95

2.)Per Bundle (Paper Pads)3.5 used.............................................: $302.85

3.) Tape(for wrapping items)6 rolls at $32.70................................:$32.70

on top of all this I have to pay mileage($3.70 per mile)roughly around $85.00 to have my stuff delievered. Keep in mind I packed everything too! If I had them pack my stuff, it would have cost me an arm and a leg. As it is, I'm only losing an arm and my ego is damaged for not listening to others on this matter.
              But I will do what you suggested 'SoutKona', I will look for that tax break when filing next year.
              I'm also gonna call the company today and ask that they at least eat the mileage for me.

All the money I thought I'd save by moving early to this "free" house in HPP is now gone thru my moving experience!
              OK, the first (and probably biggest) mistake is not getting a written estimate and a contract to sign. I would never have agreed to do business with a company that didn't give me a contract. You really have no legal recourse because it's your word against the movers' word. Not having a contract also means probably that they are not bonded, so if they happen to break anything while moving your belongings, you have to eat the expense of the repair too.

What you could still do is contact the State PUC anyway and explain the situation you encountered. Even if it probably can't help you, it might prevent somebody else in the future from getting ripped off.

Miulang

Comment

Moving companies are in the same class of business as... well, frankly, it's hard to come up with a comparable "industry." Let's put it this way. When TV news magazines need ratings and an easy sell involving hidden cameras and scam artists, they go after crooked mechanics, pedophiles, and moving companies.

The world is littered with stories like yours. Even when the terms you're being subjected to are in writing (and they often aren't), they're never spelled out to you or even wholly misrepresented. And in the cases I'm most familiar with, they way they win is by holding your stuff hostage until you pay. Since they've got all your stuff, they truly do have you by the short hairs, as you say.

You'll no doubt be presented with another few grand of fees and charges when the shipment arrives at your doorstep. And if you expect them to unlock that trailer, you better have your gold card handy.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                  You'll no doubt be presented with another few grand of fees and charges when the shipment arrives at your doorstep. And if you expect them to unlock that trailer, you better have your gold card handy.
                  The really fly-by-night ones only accept CASH.

Comment

Make sure you keep the cartons and paper pads. They can come in very handy for a future move, as well as for things like putting under your car in the garage to catch oil drips, for floor coverage when painting, and other useful things.

Without a written estimate, you have much less protection. Check out this site for some general info, but it would have been more useful to you before you moved.http://www.directyourmove.com/otherguides/rights/

About the tax deduction, check into that asap, because if you have any other moves coming up (aren't you in just temp lodgings right now?) you'll need to have adequate information in order to make the right choices in what you decide to deduct and what you decide not deduct. There are some details in moving expenses that you should check out before you put anything on a tax return (you don't want to be kicking yourself in 2008 for something you should have done different on your 2007 taxes regarding moving deductions).

Moving can be a big pain!!

Comment

i used to work for a moving company on the mainland as a receptionist. first of all, i know this doesn't help now, but if you ever do it again, insist on getting a BINDING estimate, not just a written estimate. i believe by law they have to come within 10% of a binding estimate. all bets are off with any other kind of estimate. second of all, i worked for them, asked for a binding estimate, and STILL got screwed over (though not as badly as i would've if i didn't have the binding estimate) by the destination moving agent. so that just gives you an idea of the way things work in this industry.

Comment

Got ripped off locally (DC area) by a moving company. Twenty minute ride, small apartment. Two guys, showed up late, with no tools of the trade except for a sad skateboard-looking thing. Wrapped everything they could have possibly wrapped (even the most ridiculous things) dragged their feet, overcharged us terribly on wrapping and extra hours haha, sat in the truck for about half an hour trying to reach the office to authorize my credit card (the credit card number given days ago) while I was freezing outside... asked for a tip or they would have charged us extra for the fuel. They were magnanimous and forgave us a flight of stairs...

Moving to Hawaii soon. Kinda wanna burn/give away everything.

Comment

Originally posted by reineke View Post
                          Got ripped off locally (DC area) by a moving company. Twenty minute ride, small apartment. Two guys, showed up late, with no tools of the trade except for a sad skateboard-looking thing. Wrapped everything they could have possibly wrapped (even the most ridiculous things) dragged their feet, overcharged us terribly on wrapping and extra hours haha, sat in the truck for about half an hour trying to reach the office to authorize my credit card (the credit card number given days ago) while I was freezing outside... asked for a tip or they would have charged us extra for the fuel. They were magnanimous and forgave us a flight of stairs...

Moving to Hawaii soon. Kinda wanna burn/give away everything.
                          That's what I plan to do...get rid of/sell most of the larger pieces of furniture, etc. and only ship over the books and records, etc. via the post office! Don't want to get involved with any shippers unless my company pays for the move.

Miulang

Comment

the nightmare isn't over by a long shot! I moved to Puna on the 31st of Jan.,moving company came and packed up my stuff on 22nd of Jan. They packed my stuff on 22nd to insure that my stuff will be there waiting for me. Guess what??? My stuff was sent to Nawiliwili Harbor on Kauai. Now how does Nawili sound like Hilo? I paid several thousand dollars for them to screw me badly! I feel totally violated. When I caled company they were quick to blaME Young Bros. But I pointed out that I didn't make deal with Young Bros, my deal was with them!!!! Because of their screw up, both my kids are extremely sick(no blankets). I have had to spend over $600.00 on stuff I know I packed!

Comapny said they will compensate me $121.00!?!?! I asked how they came to that number? But I can't go nuts on them because they still hold my belongings!!!
                            Stuff should arrive tomorrow, and I better not have to pay one single penny,because if I do I have a "Hawaiian Sling" sitting in the corner of my new home!

Comment

Auwe! You GOTTA contact the Public Utilities Commission, if only to tell them about the practices of that moving company (get them investigated), anden find some legal advice and take da buggahs to small claims court (after you get your belongings, though). You don't need a lawyer to go before a judge, as long as the amount you're claiming is less than $3,500.

Good luck!

Miulang

P.S. You can also add that company to this "scam" list. I quickly looked through it and didn't find any HI-based moving companies on it yet. Heheheh. So you can add the first one!
                              Last edited by Miulang; February 8, 2007, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X