PDA

View Full Version : Interisland Moving Company Scam

Beachboy
January 26th, 2007, 05:40 AM
well the time finally arrived. In a matter of days I'm off to Puna to start my new life! But first I thought I'd share with you my moving experiences so others don't make the same fatal mistakes that I made!

If I could remove my leg for the sole purpose of kicking myself in the arse I would! I know "southkona's" words are ringing in my head too! As I rwrite these words down. "SouthKona" had the right idea! Do the work yourself,and watch the money you save. With that ringing in my head, let me share with you my experiece with a local moving company.

All moving done between interislands between moving company and customer is state regulated(BFD!). Let me start by saying that my house in Kapahulu is pretty small, less than 700 sq;ft. of living space. I left behind anything made of wood(dressers,tables,bookshelves,etc,etc..). I also left behind my king size bed. I did what "Aunty Tutu"suggested too, I shipped every book in this house by US Postal Service.
Let me go back a little bit first, so before all this takes place I have a guy come out and do what I called a "guesstimate" as to how much it cost. His estimate was $2400.00 give or take a little. when I asked him how accurate he was....he looked at me and said "I've been doing this for over 18 years"! So I figured I was somewhat okay. Mind you $2400.00 loss for anything is not easily taken . But two days after company came and got my stuff they called yesterday saying actual cost owuld be $3300.00 and some change!!!!

I know they have me by the "short hairs", but this just seems like a scam! No customers are around when the actual scaling takes place at the docks,so we have no wasy of actually knowing if we been had or not? Has anybody else experiece anything similiar this this nightmare? If so any solutions?

I AM SO PISSED!!!!

Miulang
January 26th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Unfortunately, things like that happen all too often. Up here, a company was shut down and its owners were thrown in jail because they overcharged customers and held their belongings hostage when the customers refused to pay.

You have to remember that an "estimate" is not the final price. It's very possible that some of the things you had moved weighed more than what the guy who came out to see you estimated. Short of actually knowing ahead of time what the weights were of the things you had shipped, I don't think you can do much except complain.

You could file a complaint with the State Public Utilities Commission, which regulates household moving companies. They might have a file already started on that moving company. But you still have to pay the amount they billed you for, or you're not going to get your belongings back!

465 South King St., Room 103
Honolulu, HI 96813
808-586-2020
Fax: 808-586-2066
E-mail: Hawaii.PUC@hawaii.gov
www.hawaii.gov/budget/puc/

Miulang

Beachboy
January 26th, 2007, 12:23 PM
that is what i mean "having me by the shorthairs', I gotta pay. But on top of this $1000.00 light estimate, I have to pay milage on the other end too from Hilo to Puna!!

Miulang
January 26th, 2007, 12:31 PM
that is what i mean "having me by the shorthairs', I gotta pay. But on top of this $1000.00 light estimate, I have to pay milage on the other end too from Hilo to Puna!!
Was that all spelled out in the terms of the contract you signed, though?

Miulang

SouthKona
January 26th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Oh-Oh, Beachboy, they probably DO have you in their grip. But if they "under estimated" your cost by the 1/3 that you calculated, you might be able to do some negotiation with them. Does your contract have a clause that limits how much over the estimate they can go (something similar to car repairs that need an OK if going much above the estimate)?

Sadly, you might be stuck on the shipping costs. In any case, be sure to check with a knowledgeable tax person, because if you think it through correctly (before you file your 2007 taxes), you probably can come up with this being tax deductible. That will help take the bit out of it. But make sure you get qualified advice, not just something from an aunty or uncle who does taxes on the side. ;)

Beachboy
January 27th, 2007, 07:37 AM
sadly had I listened to you 'southkona' instead of listening to my backache, then perhaps I wouldn't be going throught this "moving nightmare".

Funny you should ask about contracts,because no contract was ever presented to me! Everything was orally done,nothing was signed! Upon writing this thread, I got up and retrived their company folder. Here are some added expenses i was charged bythe moving company 'ALOHA INTERNATIONAL':

1.)Mattress Cartons (twin size)1............................................ ......:$49.95

2.)Per Bundle (Paper Pads)3.5 used.............................................: $302.85

3.) Tape(for wrapping items)6 rolls at $32.70................................:$32.70

on top of all this I have to pay mileage($3.70 per mile)roughly around $85.00 to have my stuff delievered. Keep in mind I packed everything too! If I had them pack my stuff, it would have cost me an arm and a leg. As it is, I'm only losing an arm and my ego is damaged for not listening to others on this matter.
But I will do what you suggested 'SoutKona', I will look for that tax break when filing next year.
I'm also gonna call the company today and ask that they at least eat the mileage for me.

All the money I thought I'd save by moving early to this "free" house in HPP is now gone thru my moving experience!

Miulang
January 27th, 2007, 01:56 PM
sadly had I listened to you 'southkona' instead of listening to my backache, then perhaps I wouldn't be going throught this "moving nightmare".

Funny you should ask about contracts,because no contract was ever presented to me! Everything was orally done,nothing was signed! Upon writing this thread, I got up and retrived their company folder. Here are some added expenses i was charged bythe moving company 'ALOHA INTERNATIONAL':

1.)Mattress Cartons (twin size)1............................................ ......:$49.95

2.)Per Bundle (Paper Pads)3.5 used.............................................: $302.85

3.) Tape(for wrapping items)6 rolls at $32.70................................:$32.70

on top of all this I have to pay mileage($3.70 per mile)roughly around $85.00 to have my stuff delievered. Keep in mind I packed everything too! If I had them pack my stuff, it would have cost me an arm and a leg. As it is, I'm only losing an arm and my ego is damaged for not listening to others on this matter.
But I will do what you suggested 'SoutKona', I will look for that tax break when filing next year.
I'm also gonna call the company today and ask that they at least eat the mileage for me.

All the money I thought I'd save by moving early to this "free" house in HPP is now gone thru my moving experience!

OK, the first (and probably biggest) mistake is not getting a written estimate and a contract to sign. I would never have agreed to do business with a company that didn't give me a contract. You really have no legal recourse because it's your word against the movers' word. Not having a contract also means probably that they are not bonded, so if they happen to break anything while moving your belongings, you have to eat the expense of the repair too.:mad:

What you could still do is contact the State PUC anyway and explain the situation you encountered. Even if it probably can't help you, it might prevent somebody else in the future from getting ripped off.

Miulang

pzarquon
January 27th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Moving companies are in the same class of business as... well, frankly, it's hard to come up with a comparable "industry." Let's put it this way. When TV news magazines need ratings and an easy sell involving hidden cameras and scam artists, they go after crooked mechanics, pedophiles, and moving companies.

The world is littered with stories like yours. Even when the terms you're being subjected to are in writing (and they often aren't), they're never spelled out to you or even wholly misrepresented. And in the cases I'm most familiar with, they way they win is by holding your stuff hostage until you pay. Since they've got all your stuff, they truly do have you by the short hairs, as you say.

You'll no doubt be presented with another few grand of fees and charges when the shipment arrives at your doorstep. And if you expect them to unlock that trailer, you better have your gold card handy.

Miulang
January 27th, 2007, 02:50 PM
You'll no doubt be presented with another few grand of fees and charges when the shipment arrives at your doorstep. And if you expect them to unlock that trailer, you better have your gold card handy.

The really fly-by-night ones only accept CASH.:mad:

SouthKona
January 28th, 2007, 09:58 PM

Make sure you keep the cartons and paper pads. They can come in very handy for a future move, as well as for things like putting under your car in the garage to catch oil drips, for floor coverage when painting, and other useful things.

Without a written estimate, you have much less protection. Check out this site for some general info, but it would have been more useful to you before you moved.http://www.directyourmove.com/otherguides/rights/

About the tax deduction, check into that asap, because if you have any other moves coming up (aren't you in just temp lodgings right now?) you'll need to have adequate information in order to make the right choices in what you decide to deduct and what you decide not deduct. There are some details in moving expenses that you should check out before you put anything on a tax return (you don't want to be kicking yourself in 2008 for something you should have done different on your 2007 taxes regarding moving deductions).

Moving can be a big pain!!

jimnyo
January 29th, 2007, 08:02 PM
i used to work for a moving company on the mainland as a receptionist. first of all, i know this doesn't help now, but if you ever do it again, insist on getting a BINDING estimate, not just a written estimate. i believe by law they have to come within 10% of a binding estimate. all bets are off with any other kind of estimate. second of all, i worked for them, asked for a binding estimate, and STILL got screwed over (though not as badly as i would've if i didn't have the binding estimate) by the destination moving agent. so that just gives you an idea of the way things work in this industry.

reineke
January 31st, 2007, 04:41 PM
Got ripped off locally (DC area) by a moving company. Twenty minute ride, small apartment. Two guys, showed up late, with no tools of the trade except for a sad skateboard-looking thing. Wrapped everything they could have possibly wrapped (even the most ridiculous things) dragged their feet, overcharged us terribly on wrapping and extra hours haha, sat in the truck for about half an hour trying to reach the office to authorize my credit card (the credit card number given days ago) while I was freezing outside... asked for a tip or they would have charged us extra for the fuel. They were magnanimous and forgave us a flight of stairs...

Moving to Hawaii soon. Kinda wanna burn/give away everything.

Miulang
January 31st, 2007, 06:36 PM
Got ripped off locally (DC area) by a moving company. Twenty minute ride, small apartment. Two guys, showed up late, with no tools of the trade except for a sad skateboard-looking thing. Wrapped everything they could have possibly wrapped (even the most ridiculous things) dragged their feet, overcharged us terribly on wrapping and extra hours haha, sat in the truck for about half an hour trying to reach the office to authorize my credit card (the credit card number given days ago) while I was freezing outside... asked for a tip or they would have charged us extra for the fuel. They were magnanimous and forgave us a flight of stairs...

Moving to Hawaii soon. Kinda wanna burn/give away everything.
That's what I plan to do...get rid of/sell most of the larger pieces of furniture, etc. and only ship over the books and records, etc. via the post office! Don't want to get involved with any shippers unless my company pays for the move.

Miulang

Beachboy
February 8th, 2007, 10:18 AM
the nightmare isn't over by a long shot! I moved to Puna on the 31st of Jan.,moving company came and packed up my stuff on 22nd of Jan. They packed my stuff on 22nd to insure that my stuff will be there waiting for me. Guess what??? My stuff was sent to Nawiliwili Harbor on Kauai. Now how does Nawili sound like Hilo? I paid several thousand dollars for them to screw me badly! I feel totally violated. When I caled company they were quick to blaME Young Bros. But I pointed out that I didn't make deal with Young Bros, my deal was with them!!!! Because of their screw up, both my kids are extremely sick(no blankets). I have had to spend over $600.00 on stuff I know I packed!

Comapny said they will compensate me $121.00!?!?! I asked how they came to that number? But I can't go nuts on them because they still hold my belongings!!!
Stuff should arrive tomorrow, and I better not have to pay one single penny,because if I do I have a "Hawaiian Sling" sitting in the corner of my new home! ;)

Miulang
February 8th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Auwe!:( You GOTTA contact the Public Utilities Commission, if only to tell them about the practices of that moving company (get them investigated), anden find some legal advice and take da buggahs to small claims court (http://www.courts.state.hi.us/page_server/SelfHelp/SmallClaims/695F88B9A961B33EAB295F3B7.html)(after you get your belongings, though). You don't need a lawyer to go before a judge, as long as the amount you're claiming is less than $3,500.

Good luck!

Miulang

P.S. You can also add that company to this "scam" list (http://www.movingscam.com/blackList.shtml). I quickly looked through it and didn't find any HI-based moving companies on it yet. Heheheh. So you can add the first one!;)

Beachboy
February 8th, 2007, 04:48 PM
two things I did wrong, one was posting the compaNY NAME HERE. When I did it I was in such a rage I wasn't thinking. I also should have never taken my new couch. Cut it in half and taken two Gvans from Young Bros and packed the damned thing myself.

I understand your concern Muilang,but I'm not a vindictive person. I'll just eat the bullet. But of course if anybody should ask for reccomenadation for moving their name won't come up off my lips. My stuff should be here tomorrow, but guess what it never made it to port on Tuesday! Again I called,and again Young Bros. are said to be at fault? But I was promised that it would be here tomorrow by said company last week. So you'd think said company would have personally taken an interest that I got my stuff on the time they promised? They could have made sure it made every port or drop off the insure that I get it tomorrow(friday) as promised? But I can't see getting my stuff before Tuesday at thew earliest!
My biggest worry is that with each port, my stuff is getting broken to some extent! Talk about a nightmare!

Miulang
February 8th, 2007, 04:57 PM
two things I did wrong, one was posting the compaNY NAME HERE. When I did it I was in such a rage I wasn't thinking. I also should have never taken my new couch. Cut it in half and taken two Gvans from Young Bros and packed the damned thing myself.

I understand your concern Muilang,but I'm not a vindictive person. I'll just eat the bullet. But of course if anybody should ask for reccomenadation for moving their name won't come up off my lips. My stuff should be here tomorrow, but guess what it never made it to port on Tuesday! Again I called,and again Young Bros. are said to be at fault? But I was promised that it would be here tomorrow by said company last week. So you'd think said company would have personally taken an interest that I got my stuff on the time they promised? They could have made sure it made every port or drop off the insure that I get it tomorrow(friday) as promised? But I can't see getting my stuff before Tuesday at thew earliest!
My biggest worry is that with each port, my stuff is getting broken to some extent! Talk about a nightmare!
I know out of the goodness of your heart that you don't want to cause any trouble, BB, but man, even if you don't want to pursue the issue for yourself, think about other people who might think these guys were OK and if they don't know you personally or if they didn't read it here on HT, how would they know about the problems you encountered?

So please kokua for others who might be thinking about moving! At least report that company to the PUC. Nobody else should have to go through the pilikia you went through. And if you that rich that you don't want to try to get some of the extra money back, you like send some money to me, too?:D

One other place you can send your complaint to is the Better Business Bureau (http://www.hawaii.bbb.org/). Most people who are thinking about moving probably would check there before they called the PUC to find out if a company was in good standing. When you finally get your stuff in your house and as they are trying to get more money out of you, tell them you're thinking about reporting them to the PUC and the BBB and then see if they shut up and end up not trying to stick you with additional charges. If they are good business people, they know that happy customers will tell maybe one friend, but one unhappy customer will tell TEN friends!;) Sometimes you gotta be not so nice and stick up for your rights, too.

Mahalos!
Miulang

craigwatanabe
February 9th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Wow! When I moved from Kaimuki to Keaau I did all the packing myself. First I sold off all the bulky stuff like sofa, beds, tables and with the money made I used that to purchase furniture locally in Hilo.

Second I called DHX and got the cubic size limits on pallets, and proceeded to hand stack four 4-1/2' high pallets of household belongings in boxes, shrink wrap and band everything.

They came in loaded up the palletized cargo in their van and hauled it door to door from Kaimuki to Keaau in less than a week and for under $1,000 insured. Mind you I lived in a 1200 sq ft three bedroom home and I'm a pack rat in Kaimuki so I had a lot of stuff.

Everything was picked up at my Kaimuki home driveway, and dropped off at my Keaau home inside the garage.

You my friend (I'm sorry to say), just received an expensive lesson in moving, and the sad part is that we both moved from approximately the same parts of Honolulu to the same parts of the Big Island and I had more stuff shipped, delivered door to door at a third of the cost.

Live and learn.:(

Beachboy
February 10th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Wow! When I moved from Kaimuki to Keaau I did all the packing myself. First I sold off all the bulky stuff like sofa, beds, tables and with the money made I used that to purchase furniture locally in Hilo.

Second I called DHX and got the cubic size limits on pallets, and proceeded to hand stack four 4-1/2' high pallets of household belongings in boxes, shrink wrap and band everything.

They came in loaded up the palletized cargo in their van and hauled it door to door from Kaimuki to Keaau in less than a week and for under $1,000 insured. Mind you I lived in a 1200 sq ft three bedroom home and I'm a pack rat in Kaimuki so I had a lot of stuff.

Everything was picked up at my Kaimuki home driveway, and dropped off at my Keaau home inside the garage.

You my friend (I'm sorry to say), just received an expensive lesson in moving, and the sad part is that we both moved from approximately the same parts of Honolulu to the same parts of the Big Island and I had more stuff shipped, delivered door to door at a third of the cost.

Live and learn.:(

sheezz,and I didn't even get a courtsey "reach around",with my reeming from them either!

Best part of this whole ordeal the said company is lurking at this thread too, and told me as much during our last phone conversation. I was a bit confused because they(office manager) said they read my "blog". Since when is a "Message Board",double as a "blog"? Person kept saying "I read your blog, I read your blog". I started to get upset with that person because I don't have a blog!!! The manager of this company doesn't seem to know the difference between a blog and a message board, nor does this person know the difference between a suitcase of clothes for a few days,and a container with one's household belongings. They had the audacity to compare my screwed up misguided container, with a suitcase sent to another city on an airline flight,...no comparsion whatsoever! At least not the way I see it?

I'd like to take a poll. Who is at fault here with my situation. I say the moving company is, not the third party(Young Bros). I never made the deal with Young Bros., my deal was with the moving company only. If a third party messes up with moving company that's with them,right? I give a hoot about Young Bros. Then when container didn't arrive on second date as promised they pointed finger once again at Young Bros. But you'd think these'lames' would go with the old cliche, "the customer is always right", and make sure my stuff was sent to me on time for second so-called delivery?

My family has been living out of a suitcase since Jan.22, 2007 to insure that my stuff would be there upon our arrival. Today is what the 8th or 9th? I lost several fiberglass boat repair jobs because my tools were in said container. I spent now close to $1000.00 to buy stuff I know is in my container. Both kids sicks from no proper bedding or clothes.

I get a small compensation from the 3rd party(Young Bros.) in the sum of $128.00...but nothing from said moving company. But I will say that the one lady in office there that I dealt with was awesome, but the rest 'Suits' were straight up company lames.

tutusue
February 10th, 2007, 07:33 PM
BB...no more phone calls with the moving company, ya hear!!! Everything in writing...email, snail mail or fax...from now on. Print out your posts on HT. I know you mentioned the moving company is reading HT <wave to the moving company!> so they'll obviously see everyone's advice. Big deal. Keep a paper trail going. If they contact you by phone, tell them nicely that all communication must be in writing then hang up. I may have an office move coming up this year. This thread has taught me a lot as have the aforementioned TV magazine shows. Dunno why moving companies in general feel the need to be so sleazy but your situation is not unique. It wasn't long ago that you were so excited about your move. Then you're gouged when you have a health condition that required help with moving. Let their karma begin.

GeckoGeek
February 10th, 2007, 11:49 PM
I'd like to take a poll. Who is at fault here with my situation. I say the moving company is, not the third party(Young Bros). I never made the deal with Young Bros., my deal was with the moving company only.

Hard to say. The question is exactly what happened to cause the container to go to the wrong place. If the moving company gives it to YB all properly labeled and filled out and it goes to the wrong place, it's YB's fault. Not much the moving company can do about it. The moving company can be nice and try to compensate, but unless YB is giving them some money, it's all out of their pocket when it's not their fault.

On the other hand, if it was crated or labeled wrong, it's all on their head.

Last I knew there were several moving companies but only one ocean-going interisland service. Since most of us don't deal with YB directly, who knows how screwed up they are?

The only suggestion I can make for future moves is to insure it and to have contingency plans in case the shipment is late.

The only suggestion I have for the current situation is to ask the moving company to lean on YB. Unfortunately for you, they can't be too nasty to them since they have to maintain a working relationship.

craigwatanabe
February 11th, 2007, 10:16 AM
I used to work for the Gas Company and quite frankly I've never had any problems when I had to ship my calibration crate (big grey box mounted on a pallet filled with thousands of dollars of calibration gear) to all islands.

One important label to put on your container of goods is that self-adhesive color-coded sticker. And make sure you peel off any existing shipping tags that can confuse the dock workers.

I worked with DHX before I used them for my move to the Big Island so I trust them as a third party mover. And whenever using a third-party moving company I always request "door to door" meaning from place of origin to final destination. I don't want to deal with the handling of cargo at the docks as that in itself can be an ordeal in itself.

The "D" in DHX stands for Dependable and for over 22-years the combination of using DHX an YB worked out very well. By shipping thru DHX I got lower shipping rates because DHX ships your stuff and others in contracted containers so they can utilize bulk shipping rates instead. I learned that using services this way and shipping door to door it's actually cheaper than to do ship directly thru YB and hire a moving company to deliver or to rent a truck to do it yourself.

And I specifically use DHX because over the past two decades I did try other moving companies and delivery services only to find DHX to be consistantly reliable and at a good price.

Also when your stuff arrives and you want to hire another delivey service to get your stuff to your home, I'd suggest Interisland Moving Company. I work at Home Depot and for a while we were using another delivery service to deliver appliances to homes. We were getting a lot of returns or mark downs on delivered appliances because they were dented during delivery. Even my $1200 LG front load washer that I bought from Home Depot arrived dented and I knew it was received into Home Depot in perfect shape (I work for Home Depot), so I know it was damaged in delivery to my home.

We ended up letting that contract expire and chose Interisland Moving and so far they've been handling our deliveries better.

Beachboy
February 14th, 2007, 05:00 AM
Also when your stuff arrives and you want to hire another delivey service to get your stuff to your home, I'd suggest Interisland Moving Company. I work at Home Depot and for a while we were using another delivery service to deliver appliances to homes. We were getting a lot of returns or mark downs on delivered appliances because they were dented during delivery. Even my $1200 LG front load washer that I bought from Home Depot arrived dented and I knew it was received into Home Depot in perfect shape (I work for Home Depot), so I know it was damaged in delivery to my home.

We ended up letting that contract expire and chose Interisland Moving and so far they've been handling our deliveries better.

My stuff arrived at Hilo docks this past Thrusday. HETCO, delivered it first thing Monday morning. Their truck pulled up before 8:30a.m. Most everything was intact! I could go on and on about said company, but it would be fruitless.