Anyone attend UH at Manoa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone attend UH at Manoa?

I'm very VERY interested in attending this school. Or if you knon anything about it, the area, the people, or anything, let me pick your brain!
    ..Ashley..

Re: Anyone attend UH at Manoa?

Parking is a pain. Yes, there is on-campus parking, but unless things have really changed, as an underclassman, you're not going to see a parking pass for a few semesters. If you take a car, you'll have to park in the surrounding areas and hike into school.

But that was quite awhile ago. ASUH may have come up with shuttle buses or something by now.

And bring a folding umbrella. Not unless you like being blessed by the "Manoa mist".

Comment

"Manoa mist" haha! I've read about the constant "mist" Manoa seems to get. Can't be much worse than the constant nasty weather IL gets.

I more than likely won't be attending the uni till I'm a sophomore. My parents want me to live at home one more year and take community college courses to save up a little money. I think they just want to make sure my heart is set on attending college out there.

Shuttle buses would be perfect. UofIL has a huge shuttle bus system that runs till 4am and serves 40 thousand students. So something like that would make life easier. Or I can deal with a bike and my own two feet. Another thing I'm used to.

Do you or have you attended school there?
      ..Ashley..

Comment

I went to UH Manoa for about a year, and I didn't find the "Manoa mist" anymore intolerable than regular rain patterns of other places (not Seattle). In fact, when it was light, I found it very refreshing.

My advice?

Read through their offerings very carefully and plan exactly what you want to study. Some professors there were very good, others were downright nightmarish, so use a professor rating site like rateaprof.com or ratemyprofessors.com (and of course take every comment like a grain of salt, since it's 100% typical internet user contributions).

Do you want to live in a dorm or get a nearby apartment? If you've never been to Hawaii before, you may find The Bus system to be more efficient than other bus systems in other "big cities". If you're a Hawaii resident, then you'll complain about The Bus bitterly. I found it adequate to commute to school with when I didn't have a car.

Comment

I think an apartment would be the best idea. The dorms I've been in IL are just horrible, shoe box size, 10x10 at the most. The bus system in Chicago is ok, but not something I take very often because it's just not fun.

I'll check out that professor website, which I'd never heard of till now.

Thanks for the advice!
          ..Ashley..

Comment

Originally posted by Paws View Post
            I did a long time ago. You should try to get into the dorms, that way you don't have to commute. You mention in another thread that you are thinking about marine biology. Those buildings are kind of close to the dorms.

Comment

Oh well then, I will look into that. I just don't live well with others in small spaces.
              ..Ashley..

Comment

I'm a UHM alumna (2003) and I'm assuming that the campus hasn't changed that much since I graduated.

I always encourage incoming students to live on campus just for the experience. Unfortunately, even as a sophomore, it's very unlikely that you'll be able to secure a spot in the campus apartments. A few years ago, hundreds of residents were homeless because there were too many of them and not enough beds. In my day, you were able to pick and choose your place of residence and your roommate and 80% of the time, you got it. Even though the housing situation's improved since the fiasco of a few years ago, you're still lucky if you even got a housing assignment.

Depending on the residence hall, most of them aren't THAT bad. You shouldn't rule out the dorms just because the ones you've been in in Illinois were bad. FWIW, when I traveled for my sorority, I stayed in halls at UIUC, ISU, and SIU. They were fairly spacious.

If you get an off-campus apartment, you'll more than likely depend on the Bus if you don't have a car. The shuttle buses (if I'm not mistaken) only cover a certain radius outside the campus. The Bus system here is way better than the one in Chicago, believe me -- and lots of students use the Bus because it's pretty much the only way of getting around if you don't have a car/moped.

Always carry an umbrella in your bag. Most freshmen think it's uncool until they get hit with their first Manoa rain. I usually poked fun at them because you could totally tell that they who didn't have umbrellas (who came to school dressed like a fashion show), were freshmen. Dress comfortably to school because I found that the weather likes to change often -- rainy in the morning, scorching hot in the PM.

I hear they've improved the quality of food, but I wasn't too impressed the last time I had lunch with a colleague on campus.

Registering for classes has never been so easy. They implemented MyUH online just as I was getting out -- and it was so much more convenient than the primitive PA`E registration over the phone. I can't imagine how it must of been like for the older alums who had to register in person in stinky Klum Gym!

I used to work at the Campus Center Information office, so if you have any more general/not-so-academic questions, feel free to ask!
                Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                We're not here to mess around
                Boston, you know we love you madly
                Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                You know we couldn't live without you
                Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Awesome info. Thanks ever so much. Is the Greek system big at UH?

How is the area? Crime low/high? I understand it can be kinda touristy, but that I can deal with. Are there jobs for students? Were people generally nice, or were they your typical "who cares" college students? Did you bike at all? Better yet, how about scooters?

Can you compare the campus to ISU to me? Like is it spread out or in one area. I frequent UofI a lot and that is TONS of walking. Not that I have a problem with walking, I rather like the exercise. I just don't want to be missing any classes if they are like 15 minutes away.

What do college kids over there do for fun? I know what we do over here (wink wink). I'm a fun loving girl and am very social. Thats one problem with schools here, there is NOTHING to do outside of the town, except in Chicago.

Ok, I'm sure I'll think of more later! I'll let ya soak in those for right now.
                  ..Ashley..

Comment

Awesome info. Thanks ever so much. Is the Greek system big at UH?
                    Compared to the heyday of the early 90s. Not so much. The locals are still there, and while my sorority's the only international one so far, Kappa Sigma Fraternity joined Tau Kappa Epsilon a few years ago. I joined because of the scholarship money. We still manage to have our total at or about 20-30 a year, way bigger than what the local sororities average. Even if Greek Life isn't for you, there are tons of organizations you can be a part of.

How is the area? Crime low/high? I understand it can be kinda touristy, but that I can deal with. Are there jobs for students? Were people generally nice, or were they your typical "who cares" college students? Did you bike at all? Better yet, how about scooters?
                    I haven't read the latest crime reports, but theft's been the prevailing problem, usually with bikes and mopeds. Thankfully the number of assaults has generally been low. I know the UH website's Employment Office has a listing of jobs available, so you might want to check there to see what kind of jobs are out there and how much they pay. I held student jobs each year I was in school.

I didn't bike as I had my own car.

Can you compare the campus to ISU to me? Like is it spread out or in one area. I frequent UofI a lot and that is TONS of walking. Not that I have a problem with walking, I rather like the exercise. I just don't want to be missing any classes if they are like 15 minutes away.
                    UH is pretty much one big campus and not really spread out. Dole St. separates Upper Campus and Lower Campus and I can go from the top most point to the opposite end of campus in about 10 minutes tops. The Campus Shuttle is there for your convenience and usually comes frequently. When planning my classes I usually made it so that my buildings were close in distance if I had a choice.

What do college kids over there do for fun? I know what we do over here (wink wink). I'm a fun loving girl and am very social. Thats one problem with schools here, there is NOTHING to do outside of the town, except in Chicago.

Ok, I'm sure I'll think of more later! I'll let ya soak in those for right now.
                    Depending on how old you'll be when you get here -- the University area's not really 18+ friendly. Sure there are shops and restaurants, but if you want to drink, it'll be tough. I heard that all the halls are dry now? Not sure -- maybe someone currently attending will know. Ala Moana and the beaches are just a short bus ride away...and the buses take you straight to Waikiki!
                    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                    We're not here to mess around
                    Boston, you know we love you madly
                    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                    You know we couldn't live without you
                    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Most freshmen halls here are dry. That doesn't stop anyone though. It's tough for kids my age to party anyways, but we still do it.

10 minutes from one side to the other, that is awesome. Last time I was down at UofI we had to walk 15 minutes just to get to the first bunch of frat houses. I have to admit that was one helluva walk back. So now I know that this campus is compact. Perfect.

The crime level sounds better than where I live now. Drugs are bad, but not so much as general crime. We recently had two people shot in the head at a Burger King one town over. And a kid I grew up with was arrested for selling coke. I think I'd rather like living somewhere where I can drive down a certain street and not worry about which gang inhabits it.
                      ..Ashley..

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                        I can't imagine how it must of been like for the older alums who had to register in person in stinky Klum Gym!
                        I've heard horror stories about people who broke down and cried. I don't think I witnessed that. But it did motivate me to develop a system for coping with what I could and couldn't get. It worked out really well. In fact I'm glad I got out before the next system came along as I think it was stuff all your choices into the computer and it would pick things out for you. With the old system I was completely in control.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                          Always carry an umbrella in your bag. Most freshmen think it's uncool until they get hit with their first Manoa rain. I usually poked fun at them because you could totally tell that they who didn't have umbrellas (who came to school dressed like a fashion show), were freshmen. Dress comfortably to school because I found that the weather likes to change often -- rainy in the morning, scorching hot in the PM.
                          Hawaii's rains are quite warm compared to many places. But it still sucks to get wet and then go into an air conditioned classroom.

UH "uniform" is t-shirt, shorts, slippers and a backpack with a 12" compact umbrella sticking out of it.

Comment

A long time ago...

Comment

Sounds like my kinda place. I hate seeing girls dressed up like models when they go to class. It's just as bad in high school.
                              ..Ashley..

Comment

Working...
                              X