An ancient story about Kapolei

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An ancient story about Kapolei

The Advertiser now has a section called myadvertiser.com; Today there was a story about Pu'uokapolei, from which the name of Honolulu's "second city", Kapolei, is derived.

Almost equal distant from both Pu`u Palehua and Kualaka`i existed a little known hill by the name of Pu`uokapolei. There are many aspects that made this little hill perhaps the most sacred place in all of the ahupua`a of Honouliuli.

...It is the most neglected place in all of Kapolei. Beer cans, broken glass bottles and trash litter its landscape. Interesting though it is in the exact center of the new city of Kapolei. From a cultural perspective it is “Piko” of Kapolei.

...Upon further investigation Pu`uokapolei is approximately the same distance from the southwest end of the Waianae Mountains as the Leina Ka Uhane at Kaena from the northeast end of the Waianae Mountains. Perhaps Kahahana’s wife Kekuapo`i is correct in her reference to Pu`uokapolei as a conduit to the after life.

In a Christian sense there are 3 places in the after life, heaven, hell and limbo or purgatory. In a Christian sense purgatory is somewhere else. From a Hawaiian cultural perspective purgatory is………here. That is the area that surrounds Pu`uokapolei……”the Wiliwili groves of Kaupea.”
    New slogan for Kapolei: Not quite heaven, not quite hell.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: An ancient story about Kapolei

Eh Miulang, u know wea dat hill deh talking about stay? I was tinking da one get the archery range.

Comment

According to the topographic maps, Pu'uokapolei is somewhere in Kapolei Regional Park off Kamokila Blvd. (about where Kamokila merges and becomes Farrington Hwy).

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post

New slogan for Kapolei: Not quite heaven, not quite hell.

Miulang

Dunno......think the traffic in Kapolei is about as close to hell as you can get......

Comment

Here's a quick trivia...

There's a street in Waikiki named KANEKAPOLEI. It's a two-way street (except for the first block in front of the Hyatt) that runs from Kalakaua Ave., mauka to Ala Wai Blvd, with the Hyatt Regency Waikiki and Food Pantry as notable establishments cornering it.

Not to be confused with MAHUKONA ST. on the Diamond Head end of Ala Moana Shopping Center. I kid you not!
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
          X