ono grindz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ono grindz

howzit. ova da past 5 years i've been in northern CA, i seen da spread of plate lunch places all ova from da bay area all da way into Sacramento. You know how not all plate lunches stay equal eh? I was wondering if we could post da best place fo on o kine grindz wea eva on da mainlan you stay.

For me:

(1) L&L in Vallejo (da one E of I-80 by da Ross) Dey get ONO ONO hamburgah steak, ahi poke, malasadas ... mmm

(2) Ohana Hawaiian BBQ in Natomas (I-80 and Truxel)

Re: ono grindz

We get (in the Seattle area): L&L in Lynnwood and Federal Way, Northshore BBQ in Greenwood (real shave ice! and cheap Spam musubi), Kona Kitchen in Roosevelt (best chicken katsu and wonton mein), Hawaiian Breeze in Wallingford (best chicken karaage and fried mahimahi), Kauai Family Restaurant in Georgetown (I think going change owners pretty soon, though, onolicious haupia cake, guava cake, lilikoi cake and dobash, plus good ginger chicken), Lei's Restaurant in Duvall (best potato mac salad in town and fresh poke on the weekends), Aloha Plates in Uwajimaya (decent loco moco), Saimin Says in Federal Way, Bobby's in Everett (best laulau platter) plus plenty other teriyaki joints (these are just some of the ones I go to). There are others down south in Tacoma and Vancouver and Portland that I haven't tried yet. Plus Uncle Williama's place in Country Village in Bothell...he makes onolicious li hing mango smoothies and eventually he going start making malasadas again and I think I going help him make manapua too.

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; February 1, 2007, 05:18 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

WOW! I neva know how much ono gridz get up north! L&L spread so fast ova hea, dat I already lost count how much get - too bad dey not all da same. Some just make plate lunches - no mo local touch. you know wat I mean?

Comment

Originally posted by da_joka View Post
        WOW! I neva know how much ono gridz get up north! L&L spread so fast ova hea, dat I already lost count how much get - too bad dey not all da same. Some just make plate lunches - no mo local touch. you know wat I mean?
        http://www.hawaiianbarbecue.com/menu.html
        "Born and raised in Hawaii, L&L has spread its Hawaiian Barbecue (SM) brand of Hawaiian plate lunches across the United States with over 194 locations in 9 states including California, Washington, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, Oregon, Utah, New York, and Hawaii! Today, L&L holds the title as the “Original Hawaiian Barbecue®” and has been voted #1 in Hawaii for many consecutive years. L&L maintains its operations in the same Hawaiian Islands it has called its home since the beginning."

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

In the SF Bay Area we now have any number of L&L's, plus new chain competitors Ohana and Ono Drive Inn's. They keep popping up everywhere, not to mention some smaller independents, and all taste about the same to me. Our favorite is Hukilau, a sit-down restaurant in The City, Palo Alto and San Jose. They've done a good job with the food and have live music on weekends, attracting the likes of Amy Hanaiali'i Gilliom on occasion. There was also an outpost of Maui's Da Kitchen in Mountain View that we liked very much, but I was dismayed to learn they recently closed (but opened one in San Diego!). In San Ramon there's a place called Kilohana Grill that's pretty good, and I heard they opened one in Emeryville last fall.

Here's a link to most of the Bay Area plate lunch/local food places:
          http://pw1.netcom.com/~halkop/food.html

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
          We get (in the Seattle area): .......
          Miulang, a few years ago I was referred to a place in Seattle and I can't remember what it was called. It was out in the 'burbs, kind of industrial area as I recall. It was a sit down (as opposed to counter service a la L&L) and had an adjoining store that sold Hawaii gifts. Was nothing fancy, but in that respect I thought it felt pretty authentic. I honestly can't even remember if I liked the food, but we were looking for it on vacation last year and struck out. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by NoCal Boy View Post
            Miulang, a few years ago I was referred to a place in Seattle and I can't remember what it was called. It was out in the 'burbs, kind of industrial area as I recall. It was a sit down (as opposed to counter service a la L&L) and had an adjoining store that sold Hawaii gifts. Was nothing fancy, but in that respect I thought it felt pretty authentic. I honestly can't even remember if I liked the food, but we were looking for it on vacation last year and struck out. Any ideas?
            That would be the Kauai Family Restaurant in Georgetown (they also have a bakery). Unfortunately, Peter, the owner, is selling the place and moving to Las Vegas! I don't know if anyone has bought the place yet, but Peter was willing to train somebody to take over. I had a whimsical thought of asking to buy the bakery part, but decided not to because I realize how much work that would take! But it would be a real shame if the place closes down because no one was willing to take it over and keep serving ono grindz. Next time you come up north, go to Kona Kitchen (up near Northgate Mall--the owner, Yuji, starred in some of the Karate Kid movies and Leo Lakio also hangs out there sometimes) or Hawaiian Breeze on 45th in Wallingford (on the other side of the freeway from the University of Washington). Both are even better than Kauai Family Restaurant; for instance, the owner of Hawaiian Breeze makes everything from scratch and when the plate comes to the table, she always makes it look so pretty by including a fresh flower on the plate.

Miulang
            Last edited by Miulang; February 2, 2007, 12:18 PM.
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Next time you come up north, go to Kona Kitchen (up near Northgate Mall--the owner, Yuji, starred in some of the Karate Kid movies and Leo Lakio also hangs out there sometimes) or Hawaiian Breeze...
              I knew you'd know. We love the Northwest and we'll look for these next trip up (although it will be a tough decision; we usually try to eat nothing but seafood when we're up there!) Thanks!

Comment

I know theres a place up here in washington in lynnwood and another place nearby but i know theres a real good place in san diego but i forget the name. id rather just use alohaworld.com and cook my own.. comes out just as good..

Comment

That would be the Kauai Family Restaurant in Georgetown (they also have a bakery). Unfortunately, Peter, the owner, is selling the place and moving to Las Vegas!
                  FWIW - they recently announced that they are staying put - not goin' to Vegas! In fact, I believe they are also extending their evening hours to 7:30 pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    FWIW - they recently announced that they are staying put - not goin' to Vegas! In fact, I believe they are also extending their evening hours to 7:30 pm.
                    That's a relief. That means I can continue to get ginger chicken and kalua and cabbage. Plus we still can get dobash, haupia, lilikoi and guava and rainbow cake.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                    X