day care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• day care

is day care expensive over there. i want to go to work when i get there, but i don't know anyone to give me a good reference. i dont wanna put my baby girl just anywhere ya know. i think its tough deciding whether or not to stay with her in a new place or to just let her deal with day care. im so stressed about it.

Re: day care

Depending on where and who you go to it will be costly. $300 to $1000 per month is about right.

Check out this website from the Department of Human Services for the State of Hawaii: http://www.hawaii.gov/dhs/dhs/self-s...ency/childcare

If you are low income you may qualify for childcare subsidies.

You may also want to check out P.A.T.C.H. at: http://www.patchhawaii.org/ This referral service is useful if you simply don't know where to go.

Good luck
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by lita View Post
      is day care expensive over there. i want to go to work when i get there, but i don't know anyone to give me a good reference. i dont wanna put my baby girl just anywhere ya know. i think its tough deciding whether or not to stay with her in a new place or to just let her deal with day care. im so stressed about it.
      You mention you "want" to go to work. If you have the choice of whether to or not, how about "not" for a little while so that you and you baby can acclimate and you can research child care in person? Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        If you are low income you may qualify for childcare subsidies.

this is just my opinion... if you are moving to Hawaii and are/will be considered low income... you have NO RIGHT bringing that child into the state... you are better off staying in the mainland... I grew up poor in the islands an it sucks!

just me sorry if I offend...
        Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

Originally posted by kaneohegirl View Post
          this is just my opinion... if you are moving to Hawaii and are/will be considered low income... you have NO RIGHT bringing that child into the state... you are better off staying in the mainland... I grew up poor in the islands an it sucks!

just me sorry if I offend...

Hawaii has some of the most liberal welfare programs in the nation. Most Democratically controlled states typically lean towards subsidies so Hawaii is an excellent place to look for child care.

There are many non-profits working to find adequate childcare for Hawaii's poor. Many of Hawaii's poor don't seek out programs funded to help those in need. You growing up poor in an inadequate way (as you said it sucks) only tells me your parent(s) didn't seek the financial aid that exists or simply didn't qualify. Qualification is based on financial needs so in some instances some families that are seemingly in the "Gap" group simply need to set a budget.

Being poor anywhere sucks but here in Hawaii with our temperate climate being poor doesn't mean freezing during the winters or dying of extreme heat during the summers because facilities weren't adequate for a person.

There are many programs out there willing to assist poor families from subsidized school lunches, subsidized A+ afterschool programs, even subsidized fees for entry into some athletic organizations such as the Swim Club of America. There are subsidized childcare, subsidized nutrition programs such as WIC, there are subsidized housing such as HUD's Section 8.

The list goes on and on for welfare subsidies from auto and health insurance to EBT cards. There are charitable organizations such as the Food Bank, and many Christian outreach programs. I was on the board of trustees for Waiokeola Congregational Church in Waialae/Kahala for a while and one of our outreach programs was the Waikiki Health Center because quite frankly there are next to no subsidy programs within the Kahala area. We provided funding for that organization for needy families in the Waikiki area.

Many many programs out there exist for the welfare of our poor. Headstart is another for preschool children of poor families. The list is long and plentiful, yet no matter how much these organizations try to get applicants (my wife is a Head Start site manager and she walks door to door in impoverished neighborhoods in her district to enlighten families of options available to them for free), some families fail to seek out services put in place to help them.

Help and assistance for Hawaii's poor is out there, you just gotta take the time and aquaint yourself with these programs. The State's Department of Human services is a great place to begin: http://www.state.hi.us/dhs/

Help is out there.
          Last edited by craigwatanabe; February 2, 2007, 01:33 PM.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Im in the need of looking for the same. My kid needs to be with other kids now since we will be moving home to oahu. Preschool though not daycare. But What ive done Ive checked out alot of preschools using yahoo local search. Ive called quite a few places, ranged from $495 - $895. I always worry about my kid getting snatched up so I ask about safety questions and also potty training which he is not yet. do your research and you'll be fine.

Comment

Working...
            X